QT Dead Fish :(

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I recently bought a sailfin tang, watchman goby, and 3 anthias (not sure which breed, they were pink and orange). QTing them in a 40 breeder. I have had them about 3 weeks, and have gone through treating them with Metroplex. About a week ago, I dosed my first dose of copper power (1/2 ounce) to raise copper to .5 (Henna tester). I gave it about 3 days, then dosed another 1/2 ounce to bring to 1 ppm. Everything had looked fine, behaving normally, etc. About 2 days later, I dosed another 1/2 ounce to bring to 1.5, and within 24 hours, 2 of the anthias have died, and the 3rd isn't looking so good. I looked at the treatment guide, and it looks like anthias should be ok with Copper Power. The fish that have died have mouths that looked wide open. Any ideas what might have killed them? Did I raise copper too fast? Ammonia badge is yellow (0), I have plenty of bacteria I had been dumping in. I did dose 1 capful of Prime, but I read that was safe with copper power. Not sure what else might have done it, though. Would like to make sure I don't do it again.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are susceptable to uronema, and open mouths at death is an indicator of uronema.

Did they have any red sores or raised scales on their sides?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you been feeding them and have they been eating? Have you noticed any other symptoms?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, anthias are hard to QT and let alone acclimate. They need to be fed often and usually copper will suppress their appetite/eating habits. Were they eating at all?

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were eating a little bit. I didn’t notice anything wrong on body (scales and such) but doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. Eating a mix of frozen and pellets (pellets in morning and frozen at night). Although I never saw them eat a pellet, tbh.

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just googled Uronema. Those pics show very obvious red sores. Definitely didn’t see anything that obvious. But the mouth was open like those pics..

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish that have died have mouths that looked wide open. Any ideas what might have killed them?

Yes, this is easy. They died of ammonia poisoning. I don't care what your ammonia badge says.
Flared gills is from that.

I also feel they were way over medicated before that as I feel medication and quarantine is what makes fish sick, not the other way around.

But I feel bad for your fish, and of course you because you spent money on them.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper could have been the culprit. Knowing which species of anthias you had may help a bit. Some of the deeper water species seem more susceptible to copper sensitivity. Copper is an immunosuppressant, so if uronema was present it definitely could have suppressed the immune system allowing the parasite to take over. On the other hand, single doses of copper at .5ppm are more than what I would normally recommend unless you are treating velvet.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper could have been the culprit. Knowing which species of anthias you had may help a bit. Some of the deeper water species seem more susceptible to copper sensitivity. Copper is an immunosuppressant, so if uronema was present it definitely could have suppressed the immune system allowing the parasite to take over. On the other hand, single doses of copper at .5ppm are more than what I would normally recommend unless you are treating velvet.
I agree, suspect uronema may also be a culprit but anthia aren’t easy to quarantine in general, as mentioned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back