QT Fish from TSM Aquatics - really?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in purchasing fish that are already QT and do not have ich! I have a 180 gallon tank and every fish in the system was QT and received Tank Transfer. I am 100% sure that my tank does not have ich (once my power went out on the tank - when I realized the error my blue tang was upside down struggling to breathe and my yellow tang was laying on the sand bed I thought dead : (. I returned power to my tank and to my delight all fish recovered and NONE due to the stress broke out in ich).

MY QUESTION IS for those of you who are strict QT trust TSM to provide QT fish? How long have they been in business? I would pay more for a QT fish b/c the cost of Tank Transfer is high also...

thanks!!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased 4 tangs and 5 wrasses from @tsmaquatics, and currently, just ordered a 6th wrasse from them with no issue. I will not allow a single fish in my tank that has not been QT'd. Even more so, @4FordFamily, is the same way x10. I will never buy fish from anyone else again. @HotRocks is the one who turned me onto them to begin with. Hotrocks and 4FordFamily are the go to members when QT'ing comes to mind.

When you factor in the QT'ing cost and pain, and the possible loss, going with TSM Aquatics is a easy choice. ;)

MediocreAtEverything

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten all my fish from TSM, Biota direct or another QT vendor. Obviously Ich free is the main reason, but honestly you know you are getting a fish that will eat. All the fish I've bought pre QT'd eat within a few minutes of entering the tank. I'm less worried about Ich than velvet or parasites. It makes buying "expert only" fish a bit safer because you know they ate or they wouldn't have made it through a 6 week medicated QT. The only fish I've lost from TSM ended up on my carpet :(

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in my tank was Qt'd and does not have ich, I have quarantined my own fish for a while but got too busy with work so I started buying fish that have been quarantined already. I bought fish from Dr Reef, no issues, I am looking to buy from TSM but I always have trouble finding what im looking for, however, I bought a quarantined Derasa clam and some palys from them, I am really impressed by their qt protocols. I would say you will be alright if you buy from TSM, I know a lot of people trust them. Also ReefBum has a podcast episode with their GM, definitely worth the watch.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give you an example of the quality and concern from @tsmaquatics. In the first batch of fish I ordered, and, made the jump, was a Eightline Flasher wrasse. This is not a cheap fish to say the least. TSM Aquatics called me personally, AND, when they weren't able to get ahold of me they emailed me asking me to call them. I called, and I was told that they didn't feel comfortable sending the Eightline Flasher wrasse as they seen, in the final phase of looking at the fish before shipping, a issue with one of the eyes and didn't want me to receive a damaged fish. They asked me want I wanted to do? They said that they would fully refund it, as they didn't want to send a damaged fish, or I could wait on another batch they received and were QT'ing. That was an easy call for me, I said I would wait. The fact that they were not willing to send a fish that they felt was damaged was the reason. I ask, HOW MANY FISH VENDORS WOULD BE UPFRONT AND ASK THIS QUESTION!!! Most would send it anyway and say it happened in transit and they were not responsible. This is what made me a loyalist to TSM Aquatics.

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in business? I swear this was not available 5 years ago when I was QT the fish?

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe TSM is a very old business in terms of the reefing hobby. I will be stocking my entire 250G tank next year using TSM because I do not trust myself to quarantine a huge stocking list with 2 twin toddlers running around. There are a few other high-end dealers that I would trust, like Marine Collectors. I've seen videos of his new facility and it is quite impressive.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talk to Humblefish. TSM aquatics is VERY good. This is one of the vendors that Humblefish can confidently add into his tank without prequarantining them.

Do not purchase Live Aquaria’s Divers Den fish without quarantining them prior. You need a reputable source.

I also like FisHotel. Another good vendor AND Humblefish personally mentored Dierks (the owner). FisHotel sends out a newsletter and you select the fish and he QT them for you and ships. He’s very knowledgeable and experienced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talk to Humblefish. TSM aquatics is VERY good. This is one of the vendors that Humblefish can confidently add into his tank without prequarantining them.

Do not purchase Live Aquaria’s Divers Den fish without quarantining them prior. You need a reputable source.

I also like FisHotel. Another vendor that Humblefish personally mentored. FisHotel sends out a newsletter and you select the fish and he QT them for you and ships. He’s very knowledgeable and experienced.
I QT everything b/c of humblefish. If he uses them that is my endorsement! wow. done HE has helped me several times!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT everything b/c of humblefish. If he uses them that is my endorsement! wow. done HE has helped me several times!
I edited my post to correct a slight grammar error that implied Humblefish mentored TSM Aquatics. Humblefish ONLY mentored FisHotel. But TSM is a vendor in his group. Humblefish only keeps vendors that he will personally add livestock into his tank without double checking the QT.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in purchasing fish that are already QT and do not have ich! I have a 180 gallon tank and every fish in the system was QT and received Tank Transfer. I am 100% sure that my tank does not have ich (once my power went out on the tank - when I realized the error my blue tang was upside down struggling to breathe and my yellow tang was laying on the sand bed I thought dead : (. I returned power to my tank and to my delight all fish recovered and NONE due to the stress broke out in ich).

MY QUESTION IS for those of you who are strict QT trust TSM to provide QT fish? How long have they been in business? I would pay more for a QT fish b/c the cost of Tank Transfer is high also...

thanks!!
Drreefsquarantinedfish.com

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ordered a pair of bluejaw triggers from them recently they finish QT oct 12 fingers crossed

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is tank transfer expensive? Are you talking about making new water with salt?

But yes you're proof the theory of stress brings out ich is false.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back