QT nuked, wrasses dead

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m out of town so I’m relaying this through my fiancée. Last night she fed the Lubbock’s, Naoko and Orange Back fairy wrasses and everyone was seemed normal. They’ve been awesome. I was trying to get some chloroquine phosphate because the Lubbock’s was lethargic the first week. The last week he’s been fine. 2.5 weeks into observational QT and I was supposed to pick up the CP Friday when I got back in town. This morning they seemed fine but no up close visual inspection to specifically confirm that. Just now, she smelled something and thought our nephew soiled himself. She then noticed this.

Is it velvet? I saw no spots/specks before I left Monday morning. She would have mentioned spots if she saw them at night. She does freshwater so fish are familiar.

Temp seems normal, ammonia alert looks normal, filtration still running. I can’t get her to do much in the way of testing and I’m 26 hours from being home. Suggestions on what to check? I need to know if there is anything I should do before having her remove the fish and clear the tank. The smell is bothering her and my nephew. Obviously they’re dead and gone but I would really prefer to know what happened so I can prevent it in the future. Needless to say this really sucks. The cost is secondary to the fact that 3 creatures whose lives depended on me are gone.

208EA872-CC22-427A-9519-4AF7FD4DF948.jpeg CDC5DFB5-4C35-4272-92DB-1F9497434E3C.jpeg 35740322-6BD0-48FF-B7D7-D1CEEE844CDA.jpeg BB468F97-867D-4A9F-BEEC-AF9B1B540A6D.jpeg 6C7042D0-850E-443C-9657-C63139C079AD.jpeg 71E55825-16AA-4331-8E2D-0AD792E72137.jpeg

Last edited:

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you dose GC relative to the fish deaths? Water change in between? Enough flow in the QT?

GC will deplete O2 fast unless there’s lots of flow. It’s possible that could be the cause depending on the timeline.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the information given, it's hard to formulate a answer.

Quick, mass deaths are usually something like velvet....etc. or lack of 02, water contaminants, stray voltage, ammonia, medication poisoning, temperature too high, too low......etc.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 Jan was the first dose. 22 Jan for the second and 24 Jan for the 30% water change. I did another 25% water change this past Sunday. Same new water that goes into my display tank for a 30% change and they all look good.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get your point there. I’ll probably just walk her through clearing it up to get it out of the house. I can test the equipment when I return.
More to the prior response, I have the same aquaeon power filter I’ve used for my prior two batches of fish. This was a 10gallon aquaeon kit. Only changes were the air stone and I used a sponge seasoned in the DT instead of the carbon filters included.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next question is how would you sterilize this system for the next round? Obviously the airline, stone and sponges will be trashed.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach, rinse, rinse, rinse, dry, to remove biofilm.
Vinegar, rinse, rinse, rinse, dry, to precipitate copper into a harmless form.
Hydrogen peroxide, rinse, rinse, rinse, dry to completely remove any traces of carbon based materials. I use this last step if the tank has had velvet, uronema, brook, bacterial infections, etc. to be sure those nasty critters are completely gone.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach, rinse, rinse, rinse, dry, to remove biofilm.
Vinegar, rinse, rinse, rinse, dry, to precipitate copper into a harmless form.
Hydrogen peroxide, rinse, rinse, rinse, dry to completely remove any traces of carbon based materials. I use this last step if the tank has had velvet, uronema, brook, bacterial infections, etc. to be sure those nasty critters are completely gone.
Thanks.

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All fish are affected equally at the same time usually points to water quality. My guess would be ammonia or lack of oxygen.

Obviously I cannot see your entire setup, but i do not notice any sort of surface area for media. hopefully if the fish were there for sometime there was some sort of media for bacteria to grow in. This bacteria would need to cycle like any other fish tank. If you believe your display tank is free of parasites, I would put some filter floss or something with good surface area in your display tank and let it sit for a week, then move it to your QT tank.

Using ammonia conditioners to clear up water conditions can plummet the oxygen levels.

I am sorry for your loss, I have been there myself. QT is well worth the effort, don't give up!

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back