QT practices. Lets get ready to rumble.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start I would like to say that I don't QT anything and so far have been successful. My question for educational purposes is why prophylactic treatment is the status quo? Why wouldn't observation be better? I know there are things that need to be treated quickly like velvet and brook. However why blast fish with meds without any indication of an issue?

Velvet and brook are serious conditions that I agree require treatment. However I don't put Ich in that category. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I have super fish. However I know that Ich is present in my DT and hasn't been an issue at all.

What harm is there in rather than medication just doing an observation period? Many issues with fish are compounded by stress levels. Inherently medication increases stress levels so why create more stress when there may be no need at all?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why treat dogs for fleas. I mean, it doesn't kill them, and I don't feel it's a serious condition, so why would I compound the stress my dog is under from the fleas by using medication?

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why treat dogs for fleas. I mean, it doesn't kill them, and I don't feel it's a serious condition, so why would I compound the stress my dog is under from the fleas by using medication?
That is not close to the same treatment fish will go through. Unless flea treatment required being kept in a kennel while breathing semi toxic air for a month.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago the first fish I bought for my new tank had a bunch of issues. It died. I didn’t realiZe that the display was full of brook and velvet and that it wouldn’t go away. I added a few more fish a week later and same happened. I than realized what happened abs from that point on I qt everything. It’s not fair to possibly endanger your happy animals. Just my opinion. Ever since I’ve been 100 percent successful on keeping any issues from my display

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still the basis of my post is not whether or not treatment is required for illness. Rather why treat when no illness is present is more of my question.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago the first fish I bought for my new tank had a bunch of issues. It died. I didn’t realiZe that the display was full of brook and velvet and that it wouldn’t go away. I added a few more fish a week later and same happened. I than realized what happened abs from that point on I qt everything. It’s not fair to possibly endanger your happy animals. Just my opinion. Ever since I’ve been 100 percent successful on keeping any issues from my display
Wouldn't an initial period of observation make you aware of those issues before making their way to the display?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Sorry. Well ok so hears one. Had a covid outbreak at work I wasn’t deemed a close contact. 11 people positive. I got tested twice in a week negative. Work was shutdown down I hadn’t been in contact with anyone for a week. Still got covid and it was horrible my body was carrying and incubating it for a week before it broke out

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Sorry. Well ok so hears one. Had a covid outbreak at work I wasn’t deemed a close contact. 11 people positive. I got tested twice in a week negative. Work was shutdown down I hadn’t been in contact with anyone for a week. Still got covid and it was horrible my body was carrying and incubating it for a week before it broke out
Had you been in an isolated observation period there would be no chance of spreading and proper medical care could be implemented

acan-man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the hybrid tank transfer method and I don't think it's as taxing as full copper treatments. I have over a dozen species of fish that have been added over the course of two years from multiple sources. None have shown any sign of ich or other disease in the display tank. Some did show signs while in QT that were treated by the HTTM, and one bacterial infection that took a lot more treatment, but still pulled through. I've seen diseased fish in every fish store I've gone to at some point or other. I have to much time, money and affection invested in my fish to bring a typhoid Mary in. If your going to observe for two weeks or a month, I would just go ahead and treat. Its the same amount of time, and if they do have something, you have a jump start on treating it. And if they were healthy, there is the peace of mind knowing I'm not gonna have a flare up at some point that might take that or one of my other fish away.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t spread Had you been in an isolated observation period there would be no chance of spreading and proper medical care could be implemented

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question for educational purposes is why prophylactic treatment is the status quo? Why wouldn't observation be better? I know there are things that need to be treated quickly like velvet and brook. However why blast fish with meds without any indication of an issue?
Is prophylactic treatment the status quo? It's certainly been extolled by a few 'knowledgeable' folks in recent years, so probably a lot of new reefers think that's the only way to do QT. I'll bet if you polled more experienced refers that do QT you would find observational QT more commonly.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start I would like to say that I don't QT anything and so far have been successful. My question for educational purposes is why prophylactic treatment is the status quo? Why wouldn't observation be better? I know there are things that need to be treated quickly like velvet and brook. However why blast fish with meds without any indication of an issue?

Velvet and brook are serious conditions that I agree require treatment. However I don't put Ich in that category. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I have super fish. However I know that Ich is present in my DT and hasn't been an issue at all.

What harm is there in rather than medication just doing an observation period? Many issues with fish are compounded by stress levels. Inherently medication increases stress levels so why create more stress when there may be no need at all?
Iam in agreement with you.
For fish While I “observe” I do not treat unless I have some reason to do so. If a fish acts and eats normally for 14 days, they go straight to DT.

Corals I dip, brush, inspect and rinse and in they go.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back