QT question

Dose or feed?

• Total voters

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I got two new fish in QT, a Firefish and a Black Ray Goby. They're doing great, eating well, and are fat and we'll settled in. I am treating prophylactically. I was reading through @Humblefish copper article to make sure I was going to do it correctly (been raising Cuprame to therapuetic levels over the past 6 days), and read the part about if you have two QTs you can only do a 14 day ich treatment. This is fantastic! Way less harsh on the fish and far less time.

My questions is... I want to make sure I knock Brook and velvet out, so I have Metroanzidole. Should I A) dose for the last 10 days of copper treatment, or B) feed it to them during the 10 day Prazi treatment after the copper treatment is over? Will feeding metro knock brook out? I do have Metroanzidole and Focus, so I can do either. Just want to make sure no diseases get in! Thanks!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I got two new fish in QT, a Firefish and a Black Ray Goby. They're doing great, eating well, and are fat and we'll settled in. I am treating prophylactically. I was reading through @Humblefish copper article to make sure I was going to do it correctly (been raising Cuprame to therapuetic levels over the past 6 days), and read the part about if you have two QTs you can only do a 14 day ich treatment. This is fantastic! Way less harsh on the fish and far less time.

My questions is... I want to make sure I knock Brook and velvet out, so I have Metroanzidole. Should I A) dose for the last 10 days of copper treatment, or B) feed it to them during the 10 day Prazi treatment after the copper treatment is over? Will feeding metro knock brook out? I do have Metroanzidole and Focus, so I can do either. Just want to make sure no diseases get in! Thanks!
Metro will handle brook. I wouldn’t treat concurrently unless you feel you need to. I’d just use copper.

@HotRocks and I use spectogram and copper to fight off infection concurrently, but it’s basically kanaplex and furan 2. It’s hard to recommend that course of action but it’s worked well for us.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro will handle brook. I wouldn’t treat concurrently unless you feel you need to. I’d just use copper.

@HotRocks and I use spectogram and copper to fight off infection concurrently, but it’s basically kanaplex and furan 2. It’s hard to recommend that course of action but it’s worked well for us.

I do know that metro will handle brook. I used it a few months ago on my YWG when it was in a tank where fish were badly infected with brook and ich. These fish are going into my tank with my clowns. My first clowns died from brook so now I am very careful with QT, why I'm treating prophylactically. Would I be safer to go ahead and treat metro with the copper, since metro is extremely gentle, or go ahead and feed it like I was planning on originally for internal parasites? I'm really afraid that they may not be "infected" because they're gobies and not very susceptible at all to brook, but when I put them in with my clown... boom. Boom, brook outbreak. I feel like if they are infected and I feed, it will have infected the tank, and as soon as I stop feeding reinfect and when I add them to DT with my clowns... boom. I just really really want to keep these clowns safe, they're my first fishes.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know that metro will handle brook. I used it a few months ago on my YWG when it was in a tank where fish were badly infected with brook and ich. These fish are going into my tank with my clowns. My first clowns died from brook so now I am very careful with QT, why I'm treating prophylactically. Would I be safer to go ahead and treat metro with the copper, since metro is extremely gentle, or go ahead and feed it like I was planning on originally for internal parasites? I'm really afraid that they may not be "infected" because they're gobies and not very susceptible at all to brook, but when I put them in with my clown... boom. Boom, brook outbreak. I feel like if they are infected and I feed, it will have infected the tank, and as soon as I stop feeding reinfect and when I add them to DT with my clowns... boom. I just really really want to keep these clowns safe, they're my first fishes.
You can feed metro concurrently with copper but I’d avoid using together unless you wish to take the risk. Bacterial blooms can quickly kill in quarantine and metro seems to bring them on. They’re very difficult to get a handle on when they pop up. You have to start a new QT, I’ve been there and done that a lot. Sometimes you’re fine.

Feeding metro won’t cure possible brook, but will help with internal pathogens. I prefer to feed General Cure as it’s wider-spectrum and kills many more types of internal parasites.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed metro concurrently with copper but I’d avoid using together unless you wish to take the risk. Bacterial blooms can quickly kill in quarantine and metro seems to bring them on. They’re very difficult to get a handle on when they pop up. You have to start a new QT, I’ve been there and done that a lot. Sometimes you’re fine.

Feeding metro won’t cure possible brook, but will help with internal pathogens. I prefer to feed General Cure as it’s wider-spectrum and kills many more types of internal parasites.

How safe do you think I am with just sticking to the 14 day copper treatment then transfering to a new, clean QT, then doing 10 days of Prazi and feeding Metro or General Cure?

Am I missing any diseases? If brook was there, would it pop up in QT, or would it just sit in the gills until transfered to the tank with clowns?

How does that QT procedure sound? Chances of getting disease in DT with that? I already have had them for over a week and been observing very closely. Good appetites, fat and healthy looking fish.
14 day copper treatment
transfer to new clean QT
10 days Prazi while feeding Metro or General Cure

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How safe do you think I am with just sticking to the 14 day copper treatment then transfering to a new, clean QT, then doing 10 days of Prazi and feeding Metro or General Cure?

Am I missing any diseases? If brook was there, would it pop up in QT, or would it just sit in the gills until transfered to the tank with clowns?

How does that QT procedure sound? Chances of getting disease in DT with that? I already have had them for over a week and been observing very closely. Good appetites, fat and healthy looking fish.
14 day copper treatment
transfer to new clean QT
10 days Prazi while feeding Metro or General Cure
I think it’s strong, I’ve personally not run in to brook, ever. Hundreds of fish. That’s pretty much our procedure. See @HotRocks thread here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/page-4#post-5360451

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back