QT Snails for nuisance algae?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kinetic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
937
Location
Albany, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good way to QT cleanup crews, like Trochus Snails, to avoid any algae coming in from either their shells or poop? Is that even a thing?

I used to scrub every single snail shell, but I don't think that does it. Is there some kind of TTM type of thing we could do?
 
Is there a good way to QT cleanup crews, like Trochus Snails, to avoid any algae coming in from either their shells or poop? Is that even a thing?

I used to scrub every single snail shell, but I don't think that does it. Is there some kind of TTM type of thing we could do?
I collect snails live from the waters in the Florida Keys. Some have algae on them, some don't. I usually keep them in a 5 or 10g holding tank for a few days just to watch them. More often than not, one snail or emerald crab will eat the algae of the other snails.

It's just my opinion, but I think you are over thinking the issue.
 
I’m almost certain that’s where my Aiptasia came from, and I did scrub the Shells, but probably missed one. I have something in the tank that ate it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 15.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new