QT tank help

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that most people would recommend having a bare bottom tank and no rocks and only PVC pipes at most, but I do have some extra sand and rocks that I can use. Also I am planning on QT corals/inverts as well. Should I add rocks (to mount the corals) and sand (for the inverts) to the QT or just bare bottom and have a frag rack for the corals?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are thinking about QT for corals/inverts then by all means, use rock and sand, but if you QT fish then NO.
I presume that you could do observational quarantine of fish/inverts/corals in tank with sand and rock, but if fish have a disease, you have a problem. You would need separate hospital tank.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are thinking about QT for corals/inverts then by all means, use rock and sand, but if you QT fish then NO.
I presume that you could do observational quarantine of fish/inverts/corals in tank with sand and rock, but if fish have a disease, you have a problem. You would need separate hospital tank.
Hmmm I was thinking about using the tank for all fish/coral/inverts. Can inverts do fine in a barebottom QT tank? And I'll just get a coral rack for the corals, would that work?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I was thinking about using the tank for all fish/coral/inverts. Can inverts do fine in a barebottom QT tank? And I'll just get a coral rack for the corals, would that work?
That’s what I’m doing now. The problem with sand or rock is that if you start to use certain treatments (eg copper) for fish it absorbs into the sand / rock and messes up the dosing. That said for most items you can’t have inverts in the tank with meds anyway.

Personally, Im taking turns between doing fish and coral QT. If I have to convert the QT into a hospital tank quickly then I have to decide what to do with the fish or coral in the QT.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If , let's say marine Ich breaks up then you would either have to sacrifice fish or inverts/corals. You can't put inverts/ corals in DT if they came from infested tank.
I don't think inverts/ corals have to be QT, you can dip corals and put in DT.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you plan on running copper or anthing, you cannot put sand and rocks. reason being the sand and rocks sucks up the copper and you will never have a steady copper level. But if you are just trying to qt corals and inverts go for it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back