Qt wrasses?

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get 1 yellow coris and 3 leopard wrasses. Is there a special treatment for these fish? Is prazipro safe to use?

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get 1 yellow coris and 3 leopard wrasses. Is there a special treatment for these fish? Is prazipro safe to use?
Yes prazipro is safe to use on all of them but I usually give them a few days to settle in and begin eating before starting. Dose once then do a water change 24-48hrs later than redose 5-7days later. Leopards can sometimes be difficult in QT. I have found that if you load the QT up with pods and the fish was eating before purchasing then the success rate is pretty high. They have all eventually taken to frozen and even pellets and are super hardy once this happens. It really depends what type of shape the fish was in BEFORE you got her. Have a variety of foods on hands especially smaller sized ones like nutramar, cyclops, cyclopeeze, hikari mysis and live black worms if you can find them as they get even the pickiest eaters to eat. I have successfully ran my leopards and a twistii wrasse through full 30 day copper treatment. The key is to raise the copper levels slowly over 7-10 days.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes prazipro is safe to use on all of them but I usually give them a few days to settle in and begin eating before starting. Dose once then do a water change 24-48hrs later than redose 5-7days later. Leopards can sometimes be difficult in QT. I have found that if you load the QT up with pods and the fish was eating before purchasing then the success rate is pretty high. They have all eventually taken to frozen and even pellets and are super hardy once this happens. It really depends what type of shape the fish was in BEFORE you got her. Have a variety of foods on hands especially smaller sized ones like nutramar, cyclops, cyclopeeze, hikari mysis and live black worms if you can find them as they get even the pickiest eaters to eat. I have successfully ran my leopards and a twistii wrasse through full 30 day copper treatment. The key is to raise the copper levels slowly over 7-10 days.
100%

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt is set up and I dropped some chaeto in there. Descent pod population going. I will pick up some cyclopeeze and try to find some roe as well. Thanks for the help

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt is set up and I dropped some chaeto in there. Descent pod population going. I will pick up some cyclopeeze and try to find some roe as well. Thanks for the help
Awesome, just watch nutrient levels because of increased feedings. I usually try to feed once an hour for the first week or two till they put some weight back on. Have new saltwater always ready to go. I would do the water change once they dove back in the sand for the night as not to stress them out anymore than they already are.

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish arrived today and are now acclimating. They all look good so far. I did find some nutramar and have mysis. Qt has a descent amount of pods. Gonna drop some more chaeto in there as well

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards are in the qt now. One looks to breathing heavy and laying on it's side. Has moved around some but has me concerned.
Anything I can do?
The other two are already going after pods.
How long should I wait before trying to feed them?

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards are in the qt now. One looks to breathing heavy and laying on it's side. Has moved around some but has me concerned.
Anything I can do?
The other two are already going after pods.
How long should I wait before trying to feed them?
Make sure to only use ambient light for the first week or so and start feeding now a little every hour they're out. Approach the tank slow and add the food, if you move too fast they'll get spooked.

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've been out the whole time. They didn't seem to frightened of me, kind of hung out on the back side of the tank behind the bowls.
Tried feeding a little nutramar a little while ago. Not sure if they ate any. Definitely were picking off pods though.
I just turned off the over head light and one dove into the sand. One is laying on her side between the bowl and pvc and the other is still hanging out.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, try putting the light in the room on a timer. Leopards need to re-set their internal clock which usually take a week or two. By having the light go on and off at the same time everyday it'll help them adjust quicker. If you can also cut the flow in the tank when you start feeding frozen initially they may be more inclined to eat it quicker.

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not able to put the ceiling fan light on a timer. I actually rarely use the light. The fixture I have for the qt is set to turn on and off along with display. I will turn off all flow tomorrow when I feed. Thanks for the tips

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna try with no flow at first to see how it goes. Then back with flow. I don't turn flow off in dt during feeding time and there is a lot of it. They better be ready to chase down some food when the time comes

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About an hour after introduction to qt
20180202_154950.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another food to try that's very available is frozen blood worms. Not great nutrition but they are what got my Potter's wrasse to start eating and it rapidly evolved in to him eating multiple frozen foods.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re off to a great start! I echo the sentiments of @Cment as well!

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has been very helpful. Been wanting to try leopard wrasses since I started my first tank 6 years ago. Finally gotten the nerve to try.
Would like to try Moorish Idol too but that's for another day

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back