Quarantine question....

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's like a million and one threads on quarantineing but I could not find what I needed. I want to know if I could quarantine my CUC in my display tank? I just finished my cycle and want to add an assortment of snails but don't really want to watch them inch around my quarintine tank for 73 days. Could i just add them to my display tank and have them "quarantine" there insead? Given that there are no fish in the tank of course. My reasoning is that since there are no fish for the diseases to host, they would effectively die and the environment should be safe for new inhabitants...right??

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's like a million and one threads on quarantineing but I could not find what I needed. I want to know if I could quarantine my CUC in my display tank? I just finished my cycle and want to add an assortment of snails but don't really want to watch them inch around my quarintine tank for 73 days. Could i just add them to my display tank and have them "quarantine" there insead? Given that there are no fish in the tank of course. My reasoning is that since there are no fish for the diseases to host, they would effectively die and the environment should be safe for new inhabitants...right??
Just so long as they are social distancing and wearing a mask...lol

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your theory is true and the risk is low. Just don't forget that there is the potential for other pests to make it into your tank that dont need a fish to host on, ie something like flatworms. Still saying that, I'm sure you will find most people don't go as far as quarantining a clean up crew.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your theory is true and the risk is low. Just don't forget that there is the potential for other pests to make it into your tank that dont need a fish to host on, ie something like flatworms. Still saying that, I'm sure you will find most people don't go as far as quarantining a clean up crew.
Thats what it seemed like to me. I can find an insane amount of posts regarding fish and coral quarintine but CUC quarintine seems almost nonexsitant to me. Ill probably just go through with what I stated then. Thanks for the reassurance :D

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a quarantine tank set up just yet... So everything goes into my display... I do have plans to setup one after my sump upgrade/maintenance room gets completed...

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a quarantine tank set up just yet... So everything goes into my display... I do have plans to setup one after my sump upgrade/maintenance room gets completed...
I feel it. Part of me wanted to just skip quarintine all together and risk it but I REALLY don't want aiptasia. Plus I figured if quarintine corals I might as well do the same for fish

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there was ick, velvet or something in the tank your CUC came from, there’s a chance that they are carrying it. Same goes for rock. That being said you can QT them in the DT but you’ll need to stay fishless for 45 days for most disease.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there was ick, velvet or something in the tank your CUC came from, there’s a chance that they are carrying it. Same goes for rock. That being said you can QT them in the DT but you’ll need to stay fishless for 45 days for most disease.
I was going to do the full 72. While my cuc chill in the dt I will quarintine my fish.

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same thoughts.
MY DT is cycled.
I have a 10g fish-only QT just started.
I have a 10g invert QT tank I had planned on them staying in for 76 days.
All the trouchus died (I suspect they starved to death since it's basically a brand new, uncycled tank), and it's a giant pain to keep the water non-gross.

I am sorely tempted to just add the remaining Nassarius (they seem to be impervious to everything), a couple Cerith that held on, the 2 emerald crabs, and the couple of hermits to the DT now, and roll the dice.

Having a 2nd 10g, that dropping the IQT would give me would make dealing with the fish-only QT a lot easier.

--Gray

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be OK if you keep the display tank fishless for 72-76 days.

I quarantine all my cuc... snails included. I typically try to keep them isolated for at least 30 days, but usually try to go longer.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only possible fish disease that I can think of that could get through what you are describing is Uronema. And the chances of that are pretty low, so you should be ok. Just make sure that you don’t add any fish for the full 76 days, and make sure your snails stay well fed. I just ordered a cuc last week, and they are in my invert quarantine right now.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I just got back from vacation and will be staring to add my inverts to the dt and adding fish to the qt. Hope things work out!

Krw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just finished cycling your tank and have no fish what will your CUC be eating? I thought the purpose of CUC was to clean up waste and excess algae? Am I missing something?

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just finished cycling your tank and have no fish what will your CUC be eating? I thought the purpose of CUC was to clean up waste and excess algae? Am I missing something?
The tank was a algae bomb waiting to happen from all the excess nitrates. While I was gone I had a light schedule on and surly enough when I came back the tank was all sorts of green and brown. Added a butch of snails and others plus some water changes and tank is looking great!

My lps quarintines and copper treats all his fish so I ended up not doing my quarintine idea. Tank is look good thus far and no body is looking sick

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back