Quarantine Startup

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to treat my YWG for a bacterial infection using kanaplex and metroplex. Does anyone keep their QT running 24/7 or just start it up whenever you need to? Do you continue the cycle fishless using bottled ammonia or just keep a fish in there at all times?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep mine up 24 /7, but once I actually see a few sick fish come through, i clean it.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep mine up 24 /7, but once I actually see a few sick fish come through, i clean it.
makes sense, do you keep it running with bottled ammonia or a fish? I want to continue the cycle to make it easier on myself.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 26 years of fish keeping I’ve never cycled a quarantine or hospital tank. When I need my QT I set it up and add Bio-spira. Don’t overcrowd your QT and remove uneaten food. If ammonia does become detectable do a water change and add more nitrifying bacteria.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
makes sense, do you keep it running with bottled ammonia or a fish? I want to continue the cycle to make it easier on myself.
To be honest, you have to be careful with leaving fish in. Once you are done with copper treatments, don't forget to get it out. You also don't want to leave the fish in there for too many copper treatments. Up to you how you want to do that.

Me? I just keep keep Ammonia going so fish aren't stuck in there. Right now, my qt is not running because it's been about 4 months since I have had new fish i wanted to qt

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep my QT running, will even feed the bacteria, or keep a fish in it. The ONLY time I start over is if a quarantine failed and I lost the fish, then I sterilize the system. Remember, when you release fish from quarantine to your DT, they carry anything from the QT with them, so there is no reason to think of your QT as being "contaminated".

The most important reason to maintain the QT operational is that it will be ready on a moments notice and will have a well-established "microbiome". Bacteria in a bottle supplies nitrifying bacteria, but there are whole classes of other fairly important microorganisms that are helpful - chitin digesters, bacteria that decompose fat, etc.

Jay

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some media from your DT, use bacteria in a bottle, have lively water flow, and do frequent water changes. Biggest killers in QT are ammonia and oxygen depletion. Some day, if you QT faithfully, you will get to a point where you take down your entire QT system, because your fish in the DT will be strong as ox and unkillable, then you stop buying fish!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back