OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia alert as reliable as API test kits. - They produce false readings as they are also useable for freshwater.
I use seachem because I treat with copper once copper in ammonia test are not accurate . I tested before fish in and after died with Red Sea test kit as well both 0.0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking on the bright side, there are some people on R2R who would have just dropped those 2 new fish into a tank filled with several hundreds of dollars worth of fish and possibly wiped them all out.

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add liquid bacteria for the sponge

Lack of water movement- Power filter will help

Raise Temp 77-79

Ammonia and Nitrate = 0 > > What test kits are you using ?

How was fish breathing?
Any lethargic behavior or swimming ?
How did you acclimate fish to the quarantine tank and for how long ?
I use power filter as well , ammonia nitrite 0 ,Red Sea test kit and seachem badge , fish was stressed trying to hide staying on bottom , breathing I can say fine , no issue with swimming : 30 min float bag in tank, dose 1/2 cup water from tank every 4 min until double , remove 1/2 water from bag and dose again until double every 4 min , remove fish from bag and place to tank. About 45- 50 minutes

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use power filter as well , ammonia nitrite 0 ,Red Sea test kit and seachem badge , fish was stressed trying to hide staying on bottom , breathing I can say fine , no issue with swimming : 30 min float bag in tank, dose 1/2 cup water from tank every 4 min until double , remove 1/2 water from bag and dose again until double every 4 min , remove fish from bag and place to tank. About 45- 50 minutes
Im still thinking acclimation issue resulting in possible sceptic shock

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We forgot to welcome you to R2R, @M46. Don’t think anyone is trying to do anything but be helpful here. Those were two fairly expensive fish that were swimming around happily at the LFS (or you wouldn’t have picked them out), dead within 24 hours later. Maybe cull through these suggestions so far and see what can be improved. ;)
I will, thank you

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking on the bright side, there are some people on R2R who would have just dropped those 2 new fish into a tank filled with several hundreds of dollars worth of fish and possibly wiped them all out.
Lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for reply . What would you recommend from your expertise for acclimation?
Float for 20-30 minutes, then Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket
Then . . . . Add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6-8 times (almost 2 hours)
- Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light before lights out.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeration is my guess. No need for a sponge filter if uncycled anyways. I would let the air rip to disturb the surface.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Fish was eating and gone in 12 hours
My suggestions are just that. The parts I list are tools to help the entire process. I'm not saying each individual one would prevent deaths from happening, but collectively used would benefit long term success.
I'm not sure if anyone suggested maybe there was something on the tank, or equipment you used?
Maybe a cleaner solution that didn't get rinsed enough.
I'd clean everything with a mild bleach solution, rinse it well and try it again.
A solid cycled sponge filter will not hurt anything.
Good flow in the tank.
As suggested a long acclimation process.
Plus I always use something over the front and sides of the quarantine tank to give the fish some cover ( as well as multiple places inside, big enough for the fish to comfortably rest inside ).

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 137 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back