Quarantine tank

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 2nd fish (fox face, blue tang), which died in less than 24 hours in QT. New fish from store

QT: new 20 gal tank
Not cycled
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8
Water RODI
Salinity 1.023
PVC hiding pipe
Sponge filter with air exchange
Thermometer
Filter with sponge
NO copper treatment , no medication
Temperature. 75
any ideas what is killing the fishes?
1FD2AEB7-5034-4BAA-BDF8-0261F58DA4C7.jpeg

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 seems a bit chilly. I'd run 78, but I wouldn't think that would be lethal. Ph and Salinity are also a little low.

One thing I did when setting up my first ever QT tank (which was totally successful) was get some Microbacter Start, and added the recommended amount every day per directions, and then any time I registered any ammonia (testing every day) dosed it again. Within a week or so, I never got another ammonia reading.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either temp, having preexisting conditions or acclimation would be my guess. 24 hours is pretty quick.

LetsPlayNice

View Badges
Reaction score
Earth; Orion Arm; Milkyway; Virgo Supercluster
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 2nd fish (fox face, blue tang), which died in less than 24 hours in QT. New fish from store

QT: new 20 gal tank
Not cycled
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8
Water RODI
Salinity 1.023
PVC hiding pipe
Sponge filter with air exchange
Thermometer
Filter with sponge
NO copper treatment , no medication
Temperature. 75
any ideas what is killing the fishes?
1FD2AEB7-5034-4BAA-BDF8-0261F58DA4C7.jpeg

Are you buying the fish locally?

Ordering online?

What did you do to acclimate?

LetsPlayNice

View Badges
Reaction score
Earth; Orion Arm; Milkyway; Virgo Supercluster
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my guess would be "not cycled" . Are you at least putting bottled bacteria in?

This could contribute, but a 20g even freshly setup will take longer than 24 hours to reach toxic levels of ammonia.

Otherwise the TTM for disease treatment protocols would be killing fish.

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test the LFS water? I have seen LFSs that have ‘wacky’ salinity levels! Also does that sponge-contraption pump out enough air to really bubble the surface?
I wondered about that. I used a sponge filter for awhile, and with enough air it does really churn the surface. Problem was it spewed salt creep over everything. So I switched to a HOB filter and that worked well.

Plus when not running the QT, I move the HOB sponge filter to my sump and keep it colonized.

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was your acclimation procedure? Temp and salinity being the big ones. All the rest is not really relevant for the first 24hrs. I also add an airstone (in addition to the sponge filter) so that there is absolutely no chance of oxygen going down.

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have a photo of the deceased fish? Does it show any signs of anything?

I wouldn't think ammonia could get deadly in 24 hours, considering I've had pretty large fish in a gallon bag shipped and it was longer than that.

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have a photo of the deceased fish? Does it show any signs of anything?

I wouldn't think ammonia could get deadly in 24 hours, considering I've had pretty large fish in a gallon bag shipped and it was longer than that.
Ammonia 0. I use Ammonia alert Seachem C34178E1-2D48-4B45-BCAA-D500F5DC4587.jpeg

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't describe how they looked before or after death. Velvet can kill that quick. Following acclimation procedures, I am treating all new fish to a 10 minute saltwater dip using Hydroplex. That will immediately kill any bugs on them. Then they go into Cupramine or Copper Power in quarantine following Jay Hemdal's thread procedures.

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was your acclimation procedure? Temp and salinity being the big ones. All the rest is not really relevant for the first 24hrs. I also add an airstone (in addition to the sponge filter) so that there is absolutely no chance of oxygen going down.
30 min float bag in tank, dose 1/2 cup water from tank every 4 min until double , remove 1/2 water from bag and dose again until double every 4 min , remove fish from bag and place to tank

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 seems a bit chilly. I'd run 78, but I wouldn't think that would be lethal. Ph and Salinity are also a little low.

One thing I did when setting up my first ever QT tank (which was totally successful) was get some Microbacter Start, and added the recommended amount every day per directions, and then any time I registered any ammonia (testing every day) dosed it again. Within a week or so, I never got another ammonia reading.
Fish store keep salinity 1020 and temperature 75 . I don’t think that’s an issue

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not seeing any water movement in the quarantine tank. I use a hang-on back filter with just floss to catch uneaten food.
Plus I use a small powerhead to create surface movement which is good for O2 exchange.
Then I'm assuming the sponge filter has not been cycled. So there is several things.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cycle is not an issue if done correctly. This is how I run all my QTs and rarely have fish die suddenly. I do not use a sponge filter like that for air though. Usually a HOB and airstone.

The problem I find is that local fish stores run a copper level in their systems. Sometimes not a treatment level, but some at all times to keep parasites in check. Well, the minute you bring them home, no meds, stress from move, boom, parasite wipe them out. It has happened to me, once. Now (although now rarely from lfs as we have no good ones here), I make sure to ask the stores if they do copper and how long the fish has been there. Then, I will treat the water to prevent a sudden parasite upswing.

Sorry for your losses.

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test the LFS water? I have seen LFSs that have ‘wacky’ salinity levels! Also does that sponge-contraption pump out enough air to really bubble the surface?
I didn’t test water they said I it’s 1.020 my salinity was 1.023 I have 2 quarantine tanks both fishes died in new one same set up

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t test water they said I it’s 1.020 my salinity was 1.023 I have 2 quarantine tanks both fishes died in new one same set up
Not to be that person, but always check yourself. Just to be safe and consistent with your equipment. If the store does run copper, I would bring them into a hypo-salinity system, not close to full. This will help keep parasites under control until you can treat them.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back