OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seeing any water movement in the quarantine tank. I use a hang-on back filter with just floss to catch uneaten food.
Plus I use a small powerhead to create surface movement which is good for O2 exchange.
Then I'm assuming the sponge filter has not been cycled. So there is
I have hang on back filter and Bacto- surge sponge filter kit so there was enough water movement . QT has not been cycled . Picture after I started to de-assemble tank

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have hang on back filter and Bacto- surge sponge filter kit so there was enough water movement . QT has not been cycled . Picture after I started to de-assemble tank
One of the reasons ( besides O2 exchange) I like to use a small powerhead in a qt tank, along with the other pieces of equipment is once the fish is settled in, but seems to not care for the food you have, I like to drop stuff like frozen mysis or brine shrimp in the water stream of the powerhead. Makes it look like the food is trying to swim away and helps start a feeding response.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is my 2nd fish (fox face, blue tang), which died in less than 24 hours in QT. New fish from store

QT: new 20 gal tank
Not cycled
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8
Water RODI
Salinity 1.023
PVC hiding pipe
Sponge filter with air exchange
Thermometer
Filter with sponge
NO copper treatment , no medication
Temperature. 75
any ideas what is killing the fishes?
1FD2AEB7-5034-4BAA-BDF8-0261F58DA4C7.jpeg
Add liquid bacteria for the sponge

Lack of water movement- Power filter will help

Raise Temp 77-79

Ammonia and Nitrate = 0 > > What test kits are you using ?

How was fish breathing?
Any lethargic behavior or swimming ?
How did you acclimate fish to the quarantine tank and for how long ?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We forgot to welcome you to R2R, @M46. Don’t think anyone is trying to do anything but be helpful here. Those were two fairly expensive fish that were swimming around happily at the LFS (or you wouldn’t have picked them out), dead within 24 hours later. Maybe cull through these suggestions so far and see what can be improved. ;)

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test the LFS water? I have seen LFSs that have ‘wacky’ salinity levels! Also does that sponge-contraption pump out enough air to really bubble the surface?
I don’t test water from LFS they said it’s 1.020 I have second QT tank with same sponge pump and it’s enough air

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then “start” testing LFS water. When you get a bag home (as I once did) and it tests-out at 1.028, you’ll be glad you didn’t trust what you were told. Just sayin’ .

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 seems a bit chilly. I'd run 78, but I wouldn't think that would be lethal. Ph and Salinity are also a little low.

One thing I did when setting up my first ever QT tank (which was totally successful) was get some Microbacter Start, and added the recommended amount every day per directions, and then any time I registered any ammonia (testing every day) dosed it again. Within a week or so, I never got another ammonia reading.
75 seems a bit chilly. I'd run 78, but I wouldn't think that would be lethal. Ph and Salinity are also a little low.

One thing I did when setting up my first ever QT tank (which was totally successful) was get some Microbacter Start, and added the recommended amount every day per directions, and then any time I registered any ammonia (testing every day) dosed it again. Within a week or so, I never got another ammonia reading.
I use ammonia alert by Seachem I did add some bacteria

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't describe how they looked before or after death. Velvet can kill that quick. Following acclimation procedures, I am treating all new fish to a 10 minute saltwater dip using Hydroplex. That will immediately kill any bugs on them. Then they go into Cupramine or Copper Power in quarantine following Jay Hemdal's thread procedures.
They were ok I would not buy a sick fish with ick or velvet I could see on theme

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@M46

I have brought home two sets of damsels from different LFS. All of the fish were dead within 24 to 48 hours from velvet. You couldn't see the illness when I initially brought them home or in the stores.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you buying the fish locally?

Ordering online?

What did you do to acclimate?
Locally
How was your acclimation procedure? Temp and salinity being the big ones. All the rest is not really relevant for the first 24hrs. I also add an airstone (in addition to the sponge filter) so that there is absolutely no chance of oxygen going down.
30 min float bag in tank, dose 1/2 cup water from tank every 4 min until double , remove 1/2 water from bag and dose again until double every 4 min , remove fish from bag and place to tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use ammonia alert by Seachem I did add some bacteria
Ammonia alert as reliable as API test kits. - They produce false readings as they are also useable for freshwater.

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 2nd fish (fox face, blue tang), which died in less than 24 hours in QT. New fish from store

QT: new 20 gal tank
Not cycled
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8
Water RODI
Salinity 1.023
PVC hiding pipe
Sponge filter with air exchange
Thermometer
Filter with sponge
NO copper treatment , no medication
Temperature. 75
any ideas what is killing the fishes?
1FD2AEB7-5034-4BAA-BDF8-0261F58DA4C7.jpeg
Well the tank wasn’t cycled… maybe try adding something from main tank that has bacteria on it. Test the LFS water may be there fault.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Locally

30 min float bag in tank, dose 1/2 cup water from tank every 4 min until double , remove 1/2 water from bag and dose again until double every 4 min , remove fish from bag and place to tank
Acclimation may be part of issue. Every 4 mins is fairly rapid.
Float for 20-30 minutes
Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket

Then . . . .

Add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6-8 times (almost 2 hours)
Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light before lights out.

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add liquid bacteria for the sponge

Lack of water movement- Power filter will help

Raise Temp 77-79

Ammonia and Nitrate = 0 > > What test kits are you using ?

How was fish breathing?
Any lethargic behavior or swimming ?
How did you acclimate fish to the quarantine tank and for how long ?
I use Seachem ammonia alert for QT. Fish was scared and in stress no gasping for air. Hiding .30 min float bag in tank, dose 1/2 cup water from tank every 4 min until double , remove 1/2 water from bag and dose again until double every 4 min , remove fish from bag and place to tank . About 50 min total

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use Seachem ammonia alert for QT. Fish was scared and in stress no gasping for air. Hiding .30 min float bag in tank, dose 1/2 cup water from tank every 4 min until double , remove 1/2 water from bag and dose again until double every 4 min , remove fish from bag and place to tank . About 50 min total
Float for 20-30 minutes

Then . . . .

Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light before lights out.

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was your acclimation procedure? Temp and salinity being the big ones. All the rest is not really relevant for the first 24hrs. I also add an airstone (in addition to the sponge filter) so that there is absolutely no chance of oxygen going down.

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float for 20-30 minutes

Then . . . .

I will try that . If I new that’s the cause

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 gave some good advice. I believe he owned a fish store for 30 years. He's currently building my new swimming pool lol.

OP
OP
M

M46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons ( besides O2 exchange) I like to use a small powerhead in a qt tank, along with the other pieces of equipment is once the fish is settled in, but seems to not care for the food you have, I like to drop stuff like frozen mysis or brine shrimp in the water stream of the powerhead. Makes it look like the food is trying to swim away and helps start a feeding response.
Fish was eating and gone in 12 hours

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back