Quarantine tanks to be acquired first before display tank?

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am going to get started in the saltwater aquarium hobby, should I first buy a small tank to be the quarantine tank? And then after 70 days I can buy the final display tank?

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on how you plan to handle quarantine. I’ll be honest here. I have a 32g and not planning on many fish, so I don’t quarantine…at all. If I had a bigger tank and bigger investment in fish, I would, but I’d set up my display tank first and let it cycle, then set up a quarantine tank when I was ready to add fish.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am going to get started in the saltwater aquarium hobby, should I first buy a small tank to be the quarantine tank? And then after 70 days I can buy the final display tank?
You will want to get the display tank going as soon as you can, get cycle going, and maturing the tank. Your first fish won't need quarantine imo, it would be the fish after that.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to get the display tank going as soon as you can, get cycle going, and maturing the tank. Your first fish won't need quarantine imo, it would be the fish after that.
Agree with this, but even if you do quarantine the first fish, you need your display to be ready for the fish once that time is up. Start your display tank as soon as you can (in relation to a full 70 day quarantine) so it has time to start to mature... then you'll know it's cycled, will have algae growing, and you will have added cuc (and possibly copepods).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this, but even if you do quarantine the first fish, you need your display to be ready for the fish once that time is up. Start your display tank as soon as you can (in relation to a full 70 day quarantine) so it has time to start to mature... then you'll know it's cycled, will have algae growing, and you will have added cuc (and possibly copepods).
Edit: @homersimpsonlikesfish , why are you planning to quarantine fish for 70 days? Where did you come up with that number?

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice is get your DT, get it up and running, and then get your QT tank whenever you can after it. I had a velvet outbreak that killed all my fish except my engineer goby from not QTing a fish. It was horrible and I QT all fish before they go in my system now.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because copper treatment for possible Ich takes around 70 days. If my FOWLR is only 10 gallons do I need to quarantine the first new fish in a separate tank?
Afaik, you don't treat with copper for 70 days. Are you thinking of the fallow period for a tank that has ich?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afaik, you don't treat with copper for 70 days. Are you thinking of the fallow period for a tank that has ich?
Edit: per Jay Hemdal's recommended quarantine, copper treatment PLUS Praziquantel PLUS an additional 10 day observation is around 70 days.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically I can go ahead and add my first fish to the display tank without isolating them? What if they develop Ich in my display tank?
I think it's a bad idea that can cause you to lose fish and set you back. Set up the DT first. Set up your QT after and QT your first fish too. You don't want to start introducing problems into your tank.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't the first fish need QT?
There is no other fish to harm. Changes are great you will have no problem. If you do, then fallow the display.. I don't quarantine any of my fish some say it does more harm then good. Some say absolutely needed.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused here. For example, if I added live rock to a newly started 10 gallon FOWLR tank, I can go ahead and add fish without isolating them to a separate tank? What if they suddenly get Ich? I can't add copper to FOWLR that has live rock.
Okay you could do that yes. But take it from someone who didnt QT and added two clowns and a dwarf angel in first and a mo th later killed all my fish from velvet

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 166 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back