Quarantine tanks to be acquired first before display tank?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
30 day for fish, 76 days for inverts
When I came into the hobby in 1970, there were no hobby forums. With respect to ich, academia said 14 days,

Now, depending on whose talking, it’s 76 days.

I say the same thing that was said in Jurassic Park,
“Nature will find a way”.
And I say “herd immunity” is a way.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am going to get started in the saltwater aquarium hobby, should I first buy a small tank to be the quarantine tank? And then after 70 days I can buy the final display tank?
You need to start cycling your main tank to establish healthy bacterial cultures before adding fish. I recommend 2 tanks at once at least 10 feet apart.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anybody tried if Rid-Ich Plus works well for saltwater FOWLR tanks?

Rid Ich.jpg
It is widely considered that this is not sufficient for many illnesses. I have not used the product - merely talking about the comments I've reviewed

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I moved the off-topic discussion that had side-lined this topic to this new thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...ents-of-prophylactic-treatment-in-qt.1008856/

This way, both threads/conversations can continue without taking either one off course. :cool:
@Daniel@R2R - with all due respect - Can you please tell everyone what the topic of this conversation is - as compared to the other one? Cause - even though you divided it - there are other comments/ questions - here - that seem to be off track from the OP?

EDIT - because - I think the OP has been answered completely - I'm not quite sure there is more conversation about this issue?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It should only be about 30 days needed + 14 for flukes at 81F
And then the recommendations (as to my understanding) - is an observations period. So - around 60 days

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But if you marry the tanks with a common sump you dilute the disease. Half viral load, half the problems. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Ich/velvet, etc - are not viral. And - the issue with closed systems is the same - though its half the bioload (of the parasites) - it can exponentially increase into a disaster - I would not recommend your method

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get the display up and running first, can take a bit to get cycled and ready for your first livestock... also could run into issues with the display that could keep your fish stuck in an endless QT.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich/velvet, etc - are not viral. And - the issue with closed systems is the same - though its half the bioload (of the parasites) - it can exponentially increase into a disaster - I would not recommend your method

Agreed. Better method is to get 1 gallon from ten different systems at LFS. Saltwater is like bad whiskey. Just blend it till it seems ok.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Better method is to get 1 gallon from ten different systems at LFS. Saltwater is like bad whiskey. Just blend it till it seems ok.

Sarcasm, right? Doing that is like blending whiskey, but using wood alcohol (grin).

Jay

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarcasm, right? Doing that is like blending whiskey, but using wood alcohol (grin).

Jay
Someone gets the funny. My next suggestion was the Sparta Method. That’s where you find the most diseased infested tank you can and throw all your new fish in at once. Only the strong will make it to the DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone gets the funny. My next suggestion was the Sparta Method. That’s where you find the most diseased infested tank you can and throw all your new fish in at once. Only the strong will make it to the DT.
Back in the early 1980’s I actually sold bacterial “microbiomes” from selected tanks. If I recall, there were some with bacteria adapted to hyposalinity, some adapted to copper and then some from really good, disease free tanks. People used them to jump start their cycles. I don’t know for sure how well they worked, no real way to test them….

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back