Quarantine tanks to be acquired first before display tank?

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I will setup my quarantine tank:

The 10 gallon display tank will be on top and my quarantine tank on the bottom.

double tank stand.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I will setup my quarantine tank:

The 10 gallon display tank will be on top and my quarantine tank on the bottom.

double tank stand.jpg
Umm, the q tank shouldn't be that close to the display.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess really up to the person. QT is safer in my opinion from my velvet outbreak so I always air on the side of caution. Up to the reefer I guess
My point was, don't run a tank that depends on healthy fish fighting off ich, etc (disease management) and then decide to quarantine (meaning treat, not just observe) others.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shorter alternative to copper medicated quarantine is Tank Transfer Method. Regardless of what approach you choose there are benefits to getting the display tank up and running so you can progress through cycling and the ugly phase.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point was, don't run a tank that depends on healthy fish fighting off ich, etc (disease management) and then decide to quarantine (meaning treat, not just observe) others.
Oh I see now

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about if I keep them 5 feet apart? Would this work?
I'm not the expert, but this stuff will get into the air and travel a good distance from what I have read. Again I don't qt so I'm not sure how far it should be

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can travel via air?
It atomizes with water into the air and travels I'm not sure if it was ich velvet or both. Someone else will have to elaborate. Like I said I'm in no way an expert in this.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I abandon the idea of keeping a saltwater FOWLR tank (because of all the hassle of everything) and go to keeping a freshwater aquarium, do I need to worry about quarantining freshwater fish just like saltwater fish?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I abandon the idea of keeping a saltwater FOWLR tank (because of all the hassle of everything) and go to keeping a freshwater aquarium, do I need to worry about quarantining freshwater fish just like saltwater fish?
Don't be afraid, saltwater is way too much fun. Fowlr is really no harder than fresh water.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or what about if just make my 10 gallon saltwater tank just have invertebrates and no fish? Invertebrates don't develop Ich or diseases, right?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or what about if just make my 10 gallon saltwater tank just have invertebrates and no fish? Invertebrates don't develop Ich or diseases, right?
Go ahead and get a qt tank. Do exactly as you had planned. It will give you piece of mind. I don't want you to give up on your dream. There is nothing wrong with your original plan. We were just trying to make it easier for you.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No but they can be carriers. People make this stupid hard. It sounds like you want something pretty basic. Does a breeder like ORA have all the fish you want? If so get them direct and the odds of parasites and disease goes way down. For inverts they are usually not that much more pre-quarantined or you can set up a very basic 5g if you really want to do it yourself.

For me it’s risk reward. In a new tank I’ll throw all kinds of junk in because the value of livestock is low with zero hours invested. If it all goes to helI it will become a giant hospital tank. In a 5 year old tank with thousands of dollars of livestock I treat it differently.

Like most things in this hobby, people try to turn everything into black magic. It’s not that deep and the vast majority of people who think they have bio-security do not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back