Quarantining fish

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a 20 gallon tank to quarantine fish that will require a lot bigger tank ? I’m planning on a foxface, as well as wrasses and ultimately a tang. Is it ok to keep them in a 20 gallon quarantine tank since it’s only temporary?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a 20 gallon tank to quarantine fish that will require a lot bigger tank ? I’m planning on a foxface, as well as wrasses and ultimately a tang. Is it ok to keep them in a 20 gallon quarantine tank since it’s only temporary?
Yes, within reason. That is done very often. However, a 20 gallon comes in two footprints - a 20 high is not as useful as a 20 long. I wouldn't have any issue with quarantine a 3" tang, wrasse and foxface in a 20 long, but I wouldn't try it in a 20 high.

Have you ever seen those wholesale cubicle systems? You can hold fish in those for a month or so - not an optimum environment, but it works. The main thing is that you need to maintain nearly zero ammonia at all times. To do that, you should establish the biofilter before you get any animals.

Jay

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, within reason. That is done very often. However, a 20 gallon comes in two footprints - a 20 high is not as useful as a 20 long. I wouldn't have any issue with quarantine a 3" tang, wrasse and foxface in a 20 long, but I wouldn't try it in a 20 high.

Have you ever seen those wholesale cubicle systems? You can hold fish in those for a month or so - not an optimum environment, but it works. The main thing is that you need to maintain nearly zero ammonia at all times. To do that, you should establish the biofilter before you get any animals.

Jay
I’m planning on cycling the tank with Dr Tim’s

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally only do around 2 fish at a time in a 20long footprint.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a question or two for Jay.
How long do you qt a fish in a 20 long. I'm going to be using a standard 15, with only one or two fish at a time. Now, while qt-ing, if you notice a problem (possible ich), do you treat in the qt tank or move to an additional hospital tank for treatment? If you have an established (bio) in the qt, I would imagine treating in a different area so as to not interfere with the bio.
Does this make sense?
Thx for any response.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a question or two for Jay.
How long do you qt a fish in a 20 long. I'm going to be using a standard 15, with only one or two fish at a time. Now, while qt-ing, if you notice a problem (possible ich), do you treat in the qt tank or move to an additional hospital tank for treatment? If you have an established (bio) in the qt, I would imagine treating in a different area so as to not interfere with the bio.
Does this make sense?
Thx for any response.

Hi, I always treat new fish prophylactically, it is always easier to keep them from getting protozoan disease than it is to cure them after they have become infected. The size of the tank doesn't really change the length of the quarantine - 30 days of coppersafe followed by two weeks of prazipro.

Jay

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I always treat new fish prophylactically, it is always easier to keep them from getting protozoan disease than it is to cure them after they have become infected. The size of the tank doesn't really change the length of the quarantine - 30 days of coppersafe followed by two weeks of prazipro.

Jay
Is a formalin bath just redundant to the recommended QT protocol?

Also, is metronidazol just over kill with copper?

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a formalin bath just redundant to the recommended QT protocol?

Also, is metronidazol just over kill with copper?

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Formalin is best used as a dip, and then move the fish to a new tank. Dipping and putting the fish back into the same tank just allows reinfection. Low dose formalin can be used against protozoans at 25 ppm in the treatment tank as a 24 hour dose, but it reacts with copper and it strips oxygen from the water. I don't use it much anymore with marine fish.

Yes, metronidazole is redundant and a poor second choice to copper. I no longer use it as a bath. The only use I have for it is as a food additive at 5000 ppm fed every other day for three treatments.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back