Quarantining: The pros & cons

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS runs copper in their fish tanks already,
A potential problem with this ^^^ is that they may not be running the copper at therapeutic level and or long enough. We've seen lots of fish come out of systems like this showing no signs of ich/velvet and then the ich/velvet comes roaring back without the usual visual symptoms. Not cool. Keep an eye on the Starry Blenny and the Goby. Last time I put two together in a QT, the SB went caveman on the Goby. Ended up putting up eggcrate between them to keep the Goby alive. Today they are in the DT and get along fine. Crazy fish. I fed the SB and Goby my usual smoothie: Take several different frozen fish cubes: seaweed, mysis, clams, etc. Place in a tupperware in the fridge and allow them to "slump" (thaw). Mix together. Drain/strain off excess water. Add a few drops of Selcon, Zoecon, etc. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days. The fish love it.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A potential problem with this ^^^ is that they may not be running the copper at therapeutic level and or long enough. We've seen lots of fish come out of systems like this showing no signs of ich/velvet and then the ich/velvet comes roaring back without the usual visual symptoms. Not cool. Keep an eye on the Starry Blenny and the Goby. Last time I put two together in a QT, the SB went caveman on the Goby. Ended up putting up eggcrate between them to keep the Goby alive. Today they are in the DT and get along fine. Crazy fish. I fed the SB and Goby my usual smoothie: Take several different frozen fish cubes: seaweed, mysis, clams, etc. Place in a tupperware in the fridge and allow them to "slump" (thaw). Mix together. Drain/strain off excess water. Add a few drops of Selcon, Zoecon, etc. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days. The fish love it.

will do... Just want to get all the "less aggressive" livestock in after fallow timer is up before I add my Powder Brown tang. I intend on getting another tang QT'd after the goby and Blenny so I can introduce the PBT with the new tang at the same time. Luckily the 125 I have is a perfecto. At 6ft long the tangs should have plenty of length to swim and also give each other adequate "personal fish space"

We shall see how it goes.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS runs copper in their fish tanks already,

^^ One way to make the best of this situation is find out what copper product + copper level your LFS is running.

Set your QT to match, slowly raise the Cu level to therapeutic (if necessary), and finish the job they started for you. :)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ One way to make the best of this situation is find out what copper product + copper level your LFS is running.

Set your QT to match, slowly raise the Cu level to therapeutic (if necessary), and finish the job they started for you. :)
Great idea! Love to see the look on the faces at my LFS when I walk in with my Hanna Checker

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! Love to see the look on the faces at my LFS when I walk in with my Hanna Checker
You might be able to teach them a thing or two honestly @Big G ! Lol! Love it!

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great idea indeed. That's assuming the LFS is upfront about their use of copper. I've called out a couple of liars :D

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The supply chain is so polluted with Marine Velvet Disease right now that I feel TTM is no longer a viable option (at present time.)

And it's a real shame because I used to have my highest success rate QTing by using TTM. We can only hope that someday things go back to "normal", and incidences of velvet are the exception and not the rule.

It really is unfortunate, I’ve neen struggling to get my DT bioload up enough to run detectable nitrates simply due to fish not making it out of quarantine. I had 5 blue reef Chromis succumb to Velvet in a QT before I could get up to therapudic levels... and I lost 3 of a group of 6 consolation blue green Chromis kick it durring my latest QT.

It’s disheartening sometimes when you take the precaution and still ends up not working.

Thanks for your help and all your write ups they are great resources.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the Hanna Copper checker after my last annoying fight with my salifert test...

For Copper Power is this “Copper Power Blue” im seeing on amazon?
Yep. The other one, Copper Power Green, is for freshwater.

Frogspawn Rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You Dr. Fish for all of the terrific information and links to a bunch more! Looking forward to your new venture and seeing what types of fish you will offer in the future! I agree that TTM has lost it's punch and it is really sad how much that the MVD has gotten the upper hand now, hopefully the exporters and holding facilities will get together and attack this soon!

Frogspawn Rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frequently bought together-Items that Dr Fish Discussed.
  • 81Cl3zcfwVL._AC_UL115_.jpg
  • +
  • +
Total price: $31.73
Add all three to CartAdd all three to List
These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers. Show details
Buy the selected items together

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frequently bought together-Items that Dr Fish Discussed.
  • 81Cl3zcfwVL._AC_UL115_.jpg
  • +
  • +
Total price: $31.73
Add all three to CartAdd all three to List
These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers. Show details
Buy the selected items together
Many of us have used the API Copper Test kit in the past. We have been shocked how unreliable it is for measure copper dosing. Severe over dosing was happening when trying to "guess" at the colors shown by the kit. Myself included. Then we recently started to use the Hanna HL Copper Checker. Total game changer. I had several fish in copper when my new Hanna arrived. Turned out the fish were over dosed at almost 3 ppm despite the API test kit's color showing it to be ok. Using the Hanna, I was able to lower the copper levels down to 1.75 ppm and hold it there for the rest of the treatment period. Bottom line is the API kit was so inaccurate that many probably lost and or damaged fish without knowing it. Some fish were probably killed and we were left passing the losses off as "copper sensitive" fish or weak or poorly shipped or . . . well you get the idea. Now we know exactly the dosage with the new Hanna. It's a real stress reliever for both the hobbyist and the fish. I know it's not cheap, but think of the cost of the fish and your time and enjoyment of the hobby. It's a great investment.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to teach them a thing or two honestly @Big G ! Lol! Love it!

Unless they seek me out, most LFS owners/employees don't like getting advice from customers IME. I've learned to refrain from pointing out ich, velvet, etc. in their systems because I don't usually feel welcomed in their shop after that. ;)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called up a local LFS (I have 3 to choose from within 10 miles) and asked if their invert tanks were plumbed separately from their fish (to avoid ich, velvet, tomonts on the shells/exoskeletons) and expect copper-treated fish...

Their reply was that they keep inverts and fish in the same tanks... Now I know where I got my breakout from... most likely the royal gromma I added that my girl HAD to have. 2 weeks later I lost 30% of my fish.

:mad:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The supply chain is so polluted with Marine Velvet Disease right now that I feel TTM is no longer a viable option (at present time.)

And it's a real shame because I used to have my highest success rate QTing by using TTM. We can only hope that someday things go back to "normal", and incidences of velvet are the exception and not the rule.

Question - does a diatom filter filter out velvet? Even if not - why not buy a diatom filter instead of using the TTM method (for CI) Just curious...

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question - does a diatom filter filter out velvet? Even if not - why not buy a diatom filter instead of using the TTM method (for CI) Just curious...

According to Lawler (and other sources), yes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diatom-filter-for-treating-external-parasites.212429/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diatom-filter-for-treating-external-parasites.212429/#post-2433698

But the problem (I have) is expecting 100% eradication from a diatom filter is probably an unrealistic goal. Heck of a management tool though, no doubt about it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Lawler (and other sources), yes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diatom-filter-for-treating-external-parasites.212429/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diatom-filter-for-treating-external-parasites.212429/#post-2433698

But the problem (I have) is expecting 100% eradication from a diatom filter is probably an unrealistic goal. heck of a management tool though, no doubt about it.
Yup and since velvet reproduces several orders of magnitude faster than ich I can’t see this managing velvet well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back