OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup and since velvet reproduces several orders of magnitude faster than ich I can’t see this managing velvet well.

Flow rate of the DE filter, how often its cleaned to prevent clogging, tank size probably all factors into it. Just like with a UV, using an oversized diatom filter probably helps.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
According to Lawler (and other sources), yes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diatom-filter-for-treating-external-parasites.212429/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diatom-filter-for-treating-external-parasites.212429/#post-2433698

But the problem (I have) is expecting 100% eradication from a diatom filter is probably an unrealistic goal. Heck of a management tool though, no doubt about it.

I was wondering about a diatom filter running in a small tank (like a 20 gallon) - Continuously. I mean - financially it isn't really 'practical'. for everyone. And I imagine it would create quite a current lol:). Just was curious. That was a great article @Humblefish.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about a diatom filter running in a small tank (like a 20 gallon) - Continuously. I mean - financially it isn't really 'practical'. for everyone. And I imagine it would create quite a current lol:). Just was curious. That was a great article @Humblefish.

I've always wanted to test running a DE in a small QT on a fish infected with velvet. We know that copper/CP "zaps" free swimmers before the fish can be reinfected. Could a diatom filter be equally as effective in a non-chemical environment? Or would 1-2 of the dinospores always manage to attach before they were all siphoned out?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the realm of QT wasn’t just with the experienced hobbyist. There needs to be a noob friendly approach to QT or at least a go to source for pre QT’ed fish.

Pre QTed fish coming soon... ;) ;) ;)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the realm of QT wasn’t just with the experienced hobbyist. There needs to be a noob friendly approach to QT or at least a go to source for pre QT’ed fish.

It didn't used to be this difficult. But the supply chain is so polluted right now and it doesn't look like it's going to get cleaned up anytime soon. :mad:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it happens start sending fish to all the big influencers out there - we badly need you to succeed

Oh it's not me, but soon enough my friend... And I agree, it is much needed. So many people are struggling with fish in QT. The distribution system needs an overhaul for sure.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't used to be this difficult. But the supply chain is so polluted right now and it doesn't look like it's going to get cleaned up anytime soon. :mad:

The bottom line is blinding to the line on the horizons of success, sadly.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention I have a strong feeling we are going to be hit by super bugs in the future from all the bad LFS keeping sub levels of medicine to make a quick buck [emoji29]

that is a scary thought

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention I have a strong feeling we are going to be hit by super bugs in the future from all the bad LFS keeping sub levels of medicine to make a quick buck [emoji29]

If this happens, we are all in trouble (myself included). I'd have to resort to using formalin (or worse) to get things under control. Mortality rate would go way up with this kind of approach to QT!

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever you buy new livestock, you can place it in a QT (Quarantine Tank) or put it directly into your DT (Display Tank). The choice, of course, is yours, and it's important to understand that there are pros & cons no matter what you decide. We live in a day and age when everyone is looking for a "perfect answer" - although no such thing actually exists. o_O

First, there is much debate on exactly how to QT in the first place:
  1. Some choose to prophylactically treat for parasites, worms, infections, etc. by using medications/chemicals before symptoms of disease even present themselves. The argument here is by the time symptoms do show it is sometimes too late to treat/save the fish. The downside to this approach is all meds/chemicals have side effects and thus, can be harmful to fish (no way of sugarcoating it).
  2. Some choose to passively observe (sometimes in a mini-DT like natural setting), and only treat if symptoms are observed. This is easier on the fish, but one must react quickly if white spots (for example) suddenly appear. If using rock/sand in this observation tank, it is advisable to have a second QT on standby which can be setup on short notice. This "treatment tank" should be bare bottom (with no rock) to avoid absorption issues with medications. You can use PVC elbows (found at Home Depot or Lowe's) as hiding places for the fish.
So, which approach is better? I've always felt whether or not to prophylactically treat has more to do with YOU than the FISH. Are you an overly observant person? Will you notice little things like elevated breathing, head twitching, yawning, etc. which necessitates further investigation/treatment? Do you have 15-20 minutes every single day to sit in front of your QT (eat dinner with your fish?) to watch for scratching, flashing, swimming into the flow of a powerhead, etc.? If so, passive observation might just work for you! :) However, if you are always on the go, busy/hectic schedule or just don't notice the little things; then it would be wise to implement some form of prophylaxis when it comes to diseases. I recommend using Prazipro (or API General Cure) in order to deworm, and either copper or Chloroquine phosphate to treat for ich/velvet.

Unfortunately, quarantining just your fish is not enough. :( Parasite tomonts can encyst to corals, shells, any hard surface really. More info regarding How to Quarantine Corals and Inverts can be found here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-to-quarantine-coral-and-inverts.228/

And also here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/coral-invert-quarantine-time-frames.382/

Is quarantining foolproof? Of course not! Can it fail? Yup! What are the reasons why? Well, first and foremost is human error:
  • Not checking your copper level on a regular basis to ensure it is remaining therapeutic. More info on that here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-test-kits.257924/
  • Dosing non-copper medications into a long-term QT and/or one with rock & sand. Look here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/
  • Failing to take steps to avoid cross contamination and not respecting aerosol transmission: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aerosol-transmission.190292/
  • Copper and other meds are immunosuppressants; so it's very important to feed nutritious, vitamin enriched foods during the QT period (and beyond!): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vitamins-herbal-remedies.304287/
  • Knowing copper is a poison, it's a good idea to slowly ramp it up to therapeutic over a 5-7 day period. This allows your fish in QT to slowly adapt to it, and there should be warning signs of copper intolerance (e.g. fish stops eating) before the fish just dies from it.
  • Allowing ammonia to build-up and kill your fish in QT. Remember, using any ammonia reducer (e.g. Prime, Amquel) with any medication (especially copper) is a BIG NO-NO. Also, since most medications in the water will cause false positives with liquid ammonia test kits, it's wise to always use a Seachem ammonia alert badge in QT: https://www.seachem.com/ammonia-alert.php
  • Mixing/combining medications in QT is never a good idea unless faced with an emergency situation (i.e. treating multiple diseases). In addition to depleting available oxygen out of the water, the fish's liver & kidneys has to process/filter every med you dose into the water. :eek: Also, more meds dumped on a fish causes increased side effects like appetite suppression. BOTTOM LINE IS MOST MEDS/CHEMICALS ARE BAD FOR FISH, and should be viewed/respected as the "lesser of two evils" when faced with parasites, worms and flesh eating bacteria. ;Yuck
P.S. The DOs and DON’Ts of Quarantine can be found here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-dos-and-don’ts-of-quarantine.203898/

There are also a number of factors beyond your control which can cause QT to fail:
  • When you go to the doctor, the treatment or medication he/she prescribes doesn't always work. Same thing can happen with fish! :rolleyes: Since April, I've encountered half a dozen strains of praziquantel resistant flukes & turbellarians (Black Ich) - that I had to use hyposalinity or formalin on in order to fully eradicate.
  • I'm encountering many more occurrences of Brooklynella & Uronema than I expected, and on fish previously not known to be susceptible to these parasites. Therefore, those who choose to prophylactically treat may want to use metronidazole as a precaution. Chloroquine phosphate and formalin are two other options for dealing with brook/uronema.
  • It is theoretically possible (but never confirmed) for parasites (and other pathogens) to develop a resistance to medications (or copper), if they have been previously exposed to such at a subtherapeutic level. We've all heard stories about how LFS and wholesalers like to use subtherapeutic copper to "control" parasites. Are they unwittingly creating fish superbugs? :mad:
  • Just like with humans, things can go wrong inside a fish as well. With internal parasites/intestinal worms you may notice white stringy poo, but symptoms of internal infections are almost never visible. There are no viable treatments for viruses (e.g. Lymphocystis) in SW fish - the best you can do is manage symptoms and hope the fish's natural immune system will send the virus into remission. Spinal injuries/swim bladder disorders can also sometimes prove to be fatal in QT. However, it's important to note that all of these are possible threats you face whether the fish is in QT or not.
  • ^^ Knowing all of the above, don't be in a rush to get your fish out of QT! There should always be an "observation period" of at least 2 weeks after you use meds on a fish, to ensure nothing was missed (or returns.) This observation period should take place in nonmedicated water so there is no chance of a disease just being suppressed.
What about those who opt not to quarantine? Well, their success rate is mixed for a number of reasons. Statistically speaking, it's only a matter of time before they introduce a disease into their DT whether they are aware of it or not. Whether or not you are able to successfully manage the presence of a disease in your DT comes down to your ability to keep the overall number of pathogens low, while simultaneously boosting the fishes’ immune systems to deal with the ones that survive:
  1. It's no secret that the larger your aquarium is the more successful you are likely to be at disease management; since parasites, worms & harmful bacteria are naturally diluted by greater water volume. The same holds true for tanks lightly stocked with fish (reduces the pathogen's food source) and/or fish with thick slime/mucous coats (e.g. wrasses, clownfish, dragonets) which serves to protect them. Conversely, Acanthurus Tangs and other thin slime coat species are most at risk from parasites, worms, etc.
  2. A UV sterilizer and/or diatom filter is useful for siphoning parasite free swimmers out of the water, albeit probably not all of them. The use of dissolved ozone can help fight disease, and an Oxydator has been likened to, "putting an oxygen mask on the fish" to aid with breathing when parasites invade the gills.
  3. Feeding live foods, utilizing proper nutrition and using vitamins can greatly help to boost a fish's natural immune system. In addition, herbal remedies can sometimes be useful to boost the immune system and/or thicken a fish's slime coat to withstand damage inflicted by parasites, worms and bacteria.
  4. Maintaining pristine water conditions, stable parameters, and limiting fish conflicts (which sometimes leads to injury/open wounds) helps to keep "stress" in an aquarium at a minimal. Poor water quality, fluctuating parameters and constant fighting lowers a fish's immune system, which makes him more susceptible to parasitic infestation.
  5. Sounds good! So what's the problem with just doing that?? Well, a) It doesn't always work b) It's a forever thing. If you start using a UV sterilizer to manage parasites in your aquarium, change the lamp religiously every 6 months and have a backup on standby just in case. Because if it suddenly goes down, your entire fish population could be next. :eek: If you use herbal products to control parasites and secondary infections in your DT, buy stock in the company because you will be dosing that stuff for life. ;) Oh, and when you go on vacation be sure to hire a tank sitter who can manage all these little idiosyncrasies or you might come home to a disaster... :( For me anyway, there’s enough to do in a reef aquarium on a daily basis without adding “battle fish parasites” to the list.
Conclusions: I've been at this since I was a child... I was born into this hobby if you will... and I've tried both quarantining and not quarantining. The latter always left me disappointed and feeling defeated in the end. Quarantining can be tough, even heart-wrenching sometimes, but it has brought me the greatest success and feeling of accomplishment in my almost 40 years of keeping fish. Once a fish has graduated to my DT, I know he will likely be with me for many years to come so I name him/her and get to know the personality. If I rehome a fish, I usually keep up with how that fish is doing and sometimes even receive pictures/video from the new owner. You see, quarantining isn't just about the well-being of new fish. It's also about protecting your babies in the DT from disease and unwanted pathogens. :) You wouldn't bring a beloved pet dog or cat around another that had fleas, mange or rabies, would you? Hoping he/she would build up a resistance or immunity to it. o_O Don't our pet fish deserve equal protection? That right there is why, at least for me, the pros of QT will always outweigh the cons. :)
Another lovely write up. Thank you.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this happens, we are all in trouble (myself included). I'd have to resort to using formalin (or worse) to get things under control. Mortality rate would go way up with this kind of approach to QT!
Oh geez. If it comes to this, I may have to stop performing QT. Whether that means not keeping fish at all, or just keeping super hardy fish, or going back to freshwater...I don't know. I love fish, but potentially risking my own health is where I draw the line.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love fish, but potentially risking my own health is where I draw the line.

I will occasionally resort to using formalin, but if I had to do it on a daily basis I would be done. Might have to go all @Paul B on my fish if it comes down to that.

Love and miss you, Paul... so I just had to tag ya. :D

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not going to QT, I recommend using with Metroplex and focus being the most important.
Metroplex, Kanaplex, Focus, Garlic Guard

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Sea...=1534702464&sr=1-5&keywords=seachem+metroplex

Lastly, I like to keep Prazipro on hand.

If you want to get people to QT then things need to be simplified and timeframes reduced.

It can be done but the KISS approach needs to be applied.

1. A good manufacturer needs to come out with a reasonable QT kit that can be taken down and stored easily. Somewhat pleasing to the eye, at least not ugly.
  2. Minimal initial Cost - IE probably 100 hundred or less. Thinking 60 dollars. Manufacturers can recoup cost on QT kits, Think Printers. (Things like pre measured formula for dosing the QT tank)
  3. The formula created should be created to ensure speed plus best results. Studies, would need to be conducted and provided results.
  4. FASTEST QT time possibles need to be discovered. People don't want to wait a month.
  5. It needs to be really really easy, You want everyone to QT. including freshwater people. It needs to be easy to upsell for the aquarium shops and industry.
  6. High success rate

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Trickman2 Unfortunately, treating live animals is never quick or easy. Too many variables to consider. Life is too diverse, and that includes unwanted pathogens. It would be like taking a person who has been living in the woods to the doctor, and saying, "I want this person cleaned up in a cost-effective, timely manner." :rolleyes: Maybe the person just has some ticks, or maybe a tick bite transmitted a virus or caused a nasty infection. o_O Similarly, maybe a fish in QT just needs some copper (to eliminate parasites) or Prazipro (to eliminate worms); or maybe all hell is about to break loose with a fast spreading gram-negative bacterial infection. IME; every QT experience is different. Some days I can do no wrong, and some days I just can't stop a fish from dying. :(

That all being said, I do worry sometimes that people are becoming a little OCD when it comes to QT. You most certainly want to pay close attention to detail and make adjustments as needed. However, sometimes you've done all you can do as a "fish doctor", and the fish is either gonna make it or he won't. And you just have to live with that, knowing you did the best you possibly could under the circumstances. Some of these fish I have been receiving are so disease-ridden & malnourished that they basically had no chance from the get-go. And that applies whether you choose to QT or not. The only difference is QT prevents that fish's problem(s) from being shared with all your other fish. ;)

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Trickman2 Unfortunately, treating live animals is never quick or easy. Too many variables to consider. Life is too diverse, and that includes unwanted pathogens. It would be like taking a person who has been living in the woods to the doctor, and saying, "I want this person cleaned up in a cost-effective, timely manner." :rolleyes: Maybe the person just has some ticks, or maybe a tick bite transmitted a virus or caused a nasty infection. o_O Similarly, maybe a fish in QT just needs some copper (to eliminate parasites) or Prazipro (to eliminate worms); or maybe all hell is about to break loose with a fast spreading gram-negative bacterial infection. IME; every QT experience is different. Some days I can do no wrong, and some days I just can't stop a fish from dying. :(

That all being said, I do worry sometimes that people are becoming a little OCD when it comes to QT. You most certainly want to pay close attention to detail and make adjustments as needed. However, sometimes you've done all you can do as a "fish doctor", and the fish is either gonna make it or he won't. And you just have to live with that, knowing you did the best you possibly could under the circumstances. Some of these fish I have been receiving are so disease-ridden & malnourished that they basically had no chance from the get-go. And that applies whether you choose to QT or not. The only difference is QT prevents that fish's problem(s) from being shared with all your other fish. ;)

Exactly! Very well put. There are some aspect of life that just can't be "kept simple." Complexity is inherent to this issue. Same is true (to a much more elaborate extent) with human diseases, and is why doctors spend years and years in training instead of just learning it all in a summer course lol.
With regard to "not wanting to wait a month," that is an attitude that can get people in trouble in this hobby, and not just regarding quarantine. Patience is the name of the game, and the key to success in reefing overall.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for this thread. Yes, with respect to fish immune system, @Paul B had it right about bacteria and stress 47 years ago. In recent studies on fish diseases, it was documented that 60% of fatalities were due to stress while all parasite fatalities was 19%. For that reason, I do not qt. In recent conversations with European reefers, @Lasse , an interesting point was brought up about introducing new fish. Allow observation qt in a tank that is connected to display system. While infectious disease management is secondary using this technique, newly introduced fish go thru less STRESS.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back