Queen Angel, flukes?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I received this Queen and a French Aug 30. Both came much larger than expected. I placed them in a 40 breeder that was fully cycled, I had just taken the last occupants out in prep for these guys. Within 24 hours my ammonia badge went green, so I moved them into my 110g observation station. Planned to QT with copper power in the 40, but I don’t run copper in this set up, as it is stage two after meds and I have live rock in it to maintain a super strong cycle.
Today I noticed this white spot on his front right fin. I think it is a fluke. If it is, do I treat with prazipro. I believe it is reef safe so I assume won’t harm the bacteria or live rock as well?

thanks
B9B42437-A07F-428F-9966-4CB903A81AC1.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I received this Queen and a French Aug 30. Both came much larger than expected. I placed them in a 40 breeder that was fully cycled, I had just taken the last occupants out in prep for these guys. Within 24 hours my ammonia badge went green, so I moved them into my 110g observation station. Planned to QT with copper power in the 40, but I don’t run copper in this set up, as it is stage two after meds and I have live rock in it to maintain a super strong cycle.
Today I noticed this white spot on his front right fin. I think it is a fluke. If it is, do I treat with prazipro. I believe it is reef safe so I assume won’t harm the bacteria or live rock as well?

thanks
Angels and butterflies are susceptible to cauliflower growth known as lymphocystis which is viral - Not parasitical
It generally comes from poor water quality (can be from LFS) and/or diet
Maintain good water quality and diet such as:
Hikari angel and butterfly formula
LRS herbivore diet
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Plankton
Rods original formula

it will fall off on its own

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Angels and butterflies are susceptible to cauliflower growth known as lymphocystis which is viral - Not parasitical
LRS herbivore diet
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Plankton
Rods original formula

Yeah I had that on a teensy tiny blue. Thought it was something else and started TTM. He infected another one of the angels I was QTing at the time. The other is fine now, the blue died. I think too much stress as it happened on the final change and it had seemed fine. I think that spot looked more solid, this one looks like a miniature fluffy cotton ball. Think I had flukes on a sunset wrasse once according to lfs when I sent pics. But I can’t really remember what it looked like. It to was on that same fin and fresh water dip made it release, but @Jay Hemdal just told me to treat the tank the wrasse is in, as I have seen it flashing.
Maybe why I think flukes, top of mind! They have not been together and the wrasse was never in this system.
Any way to determine which it is, or with your experience (I’m just starting to keep angels) do you think it is just the virus?
The French looks fine, they are in different 30’s in separate end. System is 3 plumbed to the same sump.
Thanks

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
LRS herbivore diet
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Plankton
Rods original formula

Also I feed hikari mega marine angel, pe mysis, plankton, sprulina brine daily. Might be due for a water change with both of those big guys in there. Been a week tomorrow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also I feed hikari mega marine angel, pe mysis, plankton, sprulina brine daily. Might be due for a water change with both of those big guys in there. Been a week tomorrow.
Test and you’ll know if water change truly needed
With these guys, you want more reliability than an ammonia badge

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Test and you’ll know if water change truly needed
With these guys, you want more reliability than an ammonia badge
I know my ammonia is 0 but I will test. Possibly nitrates are climbing as I don’t have socks or anything in the sump, just some sponge in the overflow boxes I drilled in the back. And a Red Sea skimmer.
I’m planning water changes tomorrow I test all 6 setups and my too smaller QT’s at least once a week. Was ready to ramp up salinity as I run it around 1.020 to match where I get most of my fish, up to about 1.022 now. 30 days today, so I was going to bring them up to match my DT at 1.026 over the next 4 days at about 40 gallons a day, then move them. Figured water would be really good for my next order. Of course this had to show up so I really don’t want to transfer them if it isn’t lymphocystis.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks

Individual flukes aren't clearly visible like that, they are more diffuse and difficult to really see. That could be Lymphocystis, but that isn't a common location on a fish.

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 74 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back