question about monti eating nudi's

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Will nudibranchs that eat montipora capricornis, move on to encrusting monti's?

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They seem to be somewhat indiscriminant, especially once they get started.

I've beaten them by removing every scrap of monti from the display, using the bandsaw to cut off all non living tissue, then covered in superglue gel and dipped. Weekly dips for about a month and no signs in almost two years now. I still haven't put any of the Monti's back in the display I pulled them from, but will sometime in the near future (should have been long enough to let them die off...).

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
evil little monsters short of doing what gflat suggested there are few options

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they love basically all montis, but they prefer caps and other encrusting montis because they don't like to be out in the open/light. Once you get a really insane infestation going then they'll move on to your branching montis, but that will be their last choice.
Tropic marin procoral cure is a great dip. I usually do mine the color of coffee and really nuke the basterds, 10-15 min is fine. Do it diligently for 3-4 weeks and you should be free of them.

What makes them really evil compared to other pests is they seem to be able to reproduce at practically any size, I've even seen tiny ones laying eggs. And they move around quickly to other corals, not like other pests where one coral has to be really infested before they start to spread to other corals. Any tiny frag that is left with nudis can turn into bunches of nudis in no time.

Out of all pests they are my #1 most hated.

braddo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got lucky dealing with our Monti Eating Nudis. One night we found a monti that wasn't looking healthy so my girlfriend decided to move the coral into a different position in the tank. When she picked it up the bottom of the coral was covered in Nudis. She removed the coral from the tank and scrubbed the snot out of it top and bottom with a toothbrush then rinsed it under freshwater. We placed the monti into a quarantine tank, it was really ticked and I wasnt sure it would survive. A few weeks later it was back to full health and luckily there were no remaining nudis hiding in our main display tank.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst pest there is IMO. I battled and battled for about 4 months. Removed all montis to QT, did weekly dips, dips every 3 days, daily dips, i cut small frags and superglued completely around them, tried TMPCC, Revive, KMnO4.......In the end I gave up, cut off about 3 polyps of superman monti, and a 1/8" tip of a purple digi to keep and the rest went in the garbage. One of the worst days i've had in the hobby. But at least my display became free of them, and I learned my lesson about QT!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back