Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, it's hard to think of any reason that wouldn't be good. But once a day manual dosing is likely also OK.

Okay, Lowe's doesn't have it local so I ordered from Amazon. I'm going to keep reading and testing but after this coming week I'll post back with results. Thanks for your time!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, Lowe's doesn't have it local so I ordered from Amazon. I'm going to keep reading and testing but after this coming week I'll post back with results. Thanks for your time!

Lowes never carries food grade that I have heard of. There's no reason to risk an agricultural product.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to leave some info for those that are looking for this topic. After a bunch of research and talking with a chemist from Humco I found a product available on Amazon that should work and is 100% pure potassium nitrate (FCC) from what they say. Here's a list of the chemical grades and a link to a full description of them.

Chemical Grade Definitions from Highest to Lowest Purity.

1. A.C.S. A chemical grade of highest purity and meets or exceeds purity standards set by American Chemical Society (ACS).
2. Reagent High purity generally equal to A.C.S. grade and suitable for use in many laboratory and analytical applications.
3. U.S.P. A chemical grade of sufficient purity to meet or exceed requirements of the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP); acceptable for food, drug, or medicinal use; may be used for most laboratory purposes.
4. N.F. A grade of sufficient purity to meet or exceed requirements of the National Formulary (NF).
5. Lab A chemical grade of relatively high quality with exact levels of impurities unknown; usually pure enough for educational applications. Not pure enough to be offered for food, drug, or medicinal use of any kind.
6. Purified Also called pure or practical grade, and indicates good quality chemicals meeting no official standard; can be used in most cases for educational applications. Not pure enough to be offered for food, drug, or medicinal use of any kind.
7. Technical. Good quality chemical grade used for commercial and industrial purposes. Not pure enough to be offered for food, drug, or medicinal use of any kind.

Original Source of Chemical Grades

Hope this helps someone down the road.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add my 2c to the thread. Had been struggling with undetectable nitrate and low, but wildy variable phosphate (.00 - .4). Was considering stump remover. Removed my skimmer all together, two days later, Nitrate .25, phosphate .00. Hypothesizing that once chaeto again fills the fuge and begins to have some die-off that I may get a little phosphate back.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just about out of Neo Nitro and will be making my own now. @Randy Holmes-Farley What is the better solution, potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate? They seem to be around the same price.

I'd pick sodium unless you are monitoring potassium to be sure it doesn't rise too much. No such concern with sodium as it starts over 10,000 ppm in seawater.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I dose stump remover, how high would you consider to be too high for potassium?

some folks intentionally run it very high, like 600 ppm. I consider that Experimental and some folks report issues at elevated levels. I’d aim for 450 ppm or less unless intentionally experimenting.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back