******Question of PAR reading********

JayHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here is my official problem. I am going to be receiving corals this weekend and all I have for lighting is the Aqueon LED deluxe full hood lighting. I am trying to search and google what the PAR of the BLUEMAX LED would be as well as the DAYLIGHT bulb, since I read its not necessarily about watts but about PAR. Now, I am feeling worried because I do not have enough extra floating cash right now to purchase even the cheap $100 light from amazon and I am trying to figure out if the corals will survive with just that lighting. Someone please help, I do not want to let these creatures die

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While PAR is important, watts does give us some information as to what will work.
What is the wattage, what size tank dimensions….
Aqueon would provide the right spectrum as it is a reef light, just got to see if it’s 20 watts over a big tank, or 100 watts over a big tank, we could estimate from there.

OP
OP
J

JayHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While PAR is important, watts does give us some information as to what will work.
What is the wattage, what size tank dimensions….
I don't event know the wattage because apparently Aqueon does not post those numbers anywhere. Only thing provided on the Bluemax is this chart. So I do not know if this will be good enough info or anything to understand if I can keep corals in it
1695850515388.png

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't event know the wattage because apparently Aqueon does not post those numbers anywhere. Only thing provided on the Bluemax is this chart. So I do not know if this will be good enough info or anything to understand if I can keep corals in it
1695850515388.png
Indirectly they do ..

24" Fixture - 3 Watts
.So the added bulb is probably the same. Total of 6 watts.

Second the tank dimension request
Not sure you have any loose $$'s ATM but you probably wouldn't need to spend $100.

Sold by the ft.

9 watts/foot

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1695850515388.png
Good blue spectrum which is important, but nothing in the red/green/white, even when we only want a tiny amount of this.

With wattage less than 5, it will grow nothing, maybe a softy?

Assuming you tank is around 24” by say 12 deep, in general 30-50 watts is what you need to grow stuff, with a peak in 420-460nm and another in 660nm. Your light has blue (420-460nm) but no red/orange (660nm) is available, not good for some corals.

Cant see how that’s going to work.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here is my official problem. I am going to be receiving corals this weekend and all I have for lighting is the Aqueon LED deluxe full hood lighting. I am trying to search and google what the PAR of the BLUEMAX LED would be as well as the DAYLIGHT bulb, since I read its not necessarily about watts but about PAR. Now, I am feeling worried because I do not have enough extra floating cash right now to purchase even the cheap $100 light from amazon and I am trying to figure out if the corals will survive with just that lighting. Someone please help, I do not want to let these creatures die
Depends on the coral , but most can live in very dim light for longer than you'd think. I had some blastos in my unlit sump for like 2 months, they came out tiny dots and grew back. I had a toadstool get stuck under the rock work (it was a bud of my big one) for months and live. It'll be fine for sure for a while. I had GSP , Xenia, blastos and leptoseris living in about 25 par. Long-term I had to upgrade the light. They sell a little 20 dollar one on ali Express that's not bad actually and depending on your tank size probably enough. Either way while you're figuring all that out, your corals will be fine. Don't stress, corals die way quicker from too much light than not enough

OP
OP
J

JayHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good blue spectrum which is important, but nothing in the red/green/white, even when we only want a tiny amount of this.

With wattage less than 5, it will grow nothing, maybe a softy?

Assuming you tank is around 24” by say 12 deep, in general 30-50 watts is what you need to grow stuff, with a peak in 420-460nm and another in 660nm. Your light has blue (420-460nm) but no red/orange (660nm) is available, not good for some corals.

Cant see how that’s going to work.
Well they also have the beauty max which has red and such. Do you think if I combined the two I would be fine?

Attachments

• IMG_3572.png
    IMG_3572.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
J

JayHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indirectly they do ..

.So the added bulb is probably the same. Total of 6 watts.

Second the tank dimension request
Not sure you have any loose $$'s ATM but you probably wouldn't need to spend $100.

Sold by the ft.

9 watts/foot
Well it’s a 29 gal I bought and the dimension are
30.25" x 12.5" x 18.75"
How many of those lights you tagged would I need?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You live in a larger spot where you can find some used Grow or Reefing LEDs on a marketplace? I am near Denver, so a larger market, and you can find grow lights and used aquarium older LEDS (Chinese - black boxes) on the free or $10 range.. maybe an older T5 unit? Grow lights will grow coral plenty well until you can afford something else... they just don't always make them look good.

OP
OP
J

JayHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do about an hour to an hour and a half away and have been looking on those pages this whole time to see if anyone is sell or give away. No luck so far

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they also have the beauty max which has red and such. Do you think if I combined the two I would be fine?
Correct spectrum yes both.
The corals you list are not light demanding, so will it work, maybe for those.
Better under lit than over lit.
SPS, for sure, not.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back