Question on expensive sps fraga

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious, why some sps frags goes to $200 and up, is it because it’s slow grower?

Thanks

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow growers, rare coloration, rare in general.
My LFS has a large oregan tort colony that he rarely frags. Online I’ve seen pieces go for 150$ for 3/4” frag.
It’s all hype imo. Most I’ve payed for an sps frag was 100$ and won’t do it again tbh.
To each their own though. It just depends what your into.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look around, you'll often find that the designer corals are just renamed, more common corals.

As a quick example, Bali shortcake is relatively common yet, when colored up, looks a ton like RR Medusa acropora.

You just need to look around.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vendors charge what the market will bear. If someone can get $500 for a frag of acropora, then more power to them. It will never be me though!;)

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Truth is some high price acros are high priced because of amazing colors on the acro. Usually the more colors the higher the price.
But some high price acros have no business being high priced. Sometimes they are priced that way because of a famous reefer or company decided to. Then someone buys it and justifies the market. I was at Reefapaloza and saw a famous well know company their that was selling or trying to sell acro frags for $800. So When I asked to see the pieces in more of a realistic 14k lighting, most of them were brown....lol true story. He was selling light brown acros for $800. I was in shock.
The market is what people pay and greed is how it all begins. If I like a piece and I see its value, I buy it. I own a Homewrecker. Most expensive piece I have ever bought. Its a sweet piece. I love it and I believe it to be worth it for ME!
Thing is, you have to see it in person also. Their are some amazing photo wizards out their.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back