Question on STN

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this Red Planet for about two months now and have kept the parameters steady this entire time except temp over the past heatwave about a week ago. I’ve been keeping temp around 78-78.5 but temps hit 80.4 a few times.

Salinity : 1.026
Alk : 8.3
Cal : 430
Mag : 1340
No3 : 10
Po4 : 0.03

I just had a question on STN and what should I do? Let it be or cut the branches?
Thanks in advance

D73272AD-8ADA-40F5-B126-B51C3A64EB7E.jpeg

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. I had an STN issue a while back. Couldn’t reverse it. Lost a few frags. Mine was also during a temp spike due to heater malfunction. Not a huge change, but a few degrees up and down in a day. My alk was also elevated. I think STN is just a mystery. Hopefully you can reverse it. If I were you I would pull that rock and cut that nice frag an 1/8th inch up from the line of decay. I was given that advice and chose to ride it out instead. Fail. Fortunately the frags were not super nice, but lesson learned. The only other thing I can tell you is it was specific to my purple stylo... 2 frags on opposite sides of tank. My digitata and everything else was fine. Best of luck.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just keep an eye on it. If you notice it getting worse then fragging might be the way to go, but it looks happy other than that so I would expect it to reverse and start growing back.

OP
OP
G

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all,

I haven’t noticed anything that could sting it but I’ll keep an eye on it. Just seems like a few polyps have died off. If anything happens, I’ll frag it.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all,

I haven’t noticed anything that could sting it but I’ll keep an eye on it. Just seems like a few polyps have died off. If anything happens, I’ll frag it.
Are you familiar with vermatid snails? They can be difficult to see when the lights are on but very easy to see with a flash light after lights out. They can cause harm even 4-6 away if the flow is blowing their webs onto sps. Most of my sps are not bothered at all but I have a handful of Tenuis that get really stressed from them.

OP
OP
G

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you familiar with vermatid snails? They can be difficult to see when the lights are on but very easy to see with a flash light after lights out. They can cause harm even 4-6 away if the flow is blowing their webs onto sps. Most of my sps are not bothered at all but I have a handful of Tenuis that get really stressed from them.
I do have a few vermatid snails but nowhere near that coral. I’ll have to keep an eye on them though. Thanks for the heads up

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back