Question! Tuxedo urchin do be crazy...

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So right now, my urchin climbed my glass and I'm currently wondering... how.

How does he attach himself to the glass? I thought that maybe he has a foot by its mouth but then I saw his mouth faced up to the surface (I was feeding him nori) and realized he's gripping the glass with his side.

Does he have feet on all sides of him allowing him to walk however like Spiderman??

Urchins do be crazy...

20220628_173711.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruh that's sick. So glad I picked one up. Out of all my Inhabitants, the urchin has made me stare the longest
Wait till you find sometimes 50-60 little round balls and think what they hell are they ( spoiler alert ,there urchin poo) underneath where he grabs onto glass/rocks is mouth and on top of urchin his bum ha ha

But yeah urchins are super cool

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait until you see the beak/mouth.
I think I may have, I asked to hold one at my LFS but it was a baby and that's the one I picked up. I was afraid of the big one lol. I plan to carefully pick him back up when he's bigger.

Next fear to overcome are the cleaner shrimp. I just let one for like a millisecond touch my hand and I tried so hard to not freak out. I'm getting there though

(Childhood trauma with shrimp )

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till you find sometimes 50-60 little round balls and think what they hell are they ( spoiler alert ,there urchin poo) underneath where he grabs onto glass/rocks is mouth and on top of urchin his bum ha ha

But yeah urchins are super cool
Whaaat. I love this hobby. Glad I chose marine biology for school. Can't say I've ever been itching to watch an animal poop before but here we are... lol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
underneath where he grabs onto glass/rocks is mouth and on top of urchin his bum ha ha

I knew their beak(mouth) was at the bottom, but thought they are similar to coral where their mouth is their anus too. You learn something new every day!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for years, and I have honestly never seen it poo. I have seen the little balls in the sandbed, and knew it was urchin poo, but have never actually seen him do the deed
Well I have white sand so I don't think I'll see a pile any time soon... or maybe 80 pounds of urchin poo

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back