• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Questionable customer service from coralvue

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start this pertains to my tank crash caused by a rusty volute, screws and collets. I knew the pump was out of warranty but to me those 3 things should never rust and was thinking that a company like coralvue would view the same.
So I use the word questionable because some of you might think, " well what did you expect?" While others might think how I am feeling about how I was treated by coralvue. So the back story, if any of you have been following my build thread you will know that recently I have experienced a crash of my system in which almost all my sps pieces have died. It took me a while to find the source of the problem but I eventually saw that the volute, screws and collets on my reef octopus skimmer pump have totally rusted. I will post the pics at the bottom of the post so you can see what happened.

I made a post on RC in a thread that was made PREVIOUSLY by other members who had/have the same problem with this very same skimmer pump. Well very quickly jeremy@coralvue replied and apologized for what had happened and requested that I open a ticket so they can fix what is wrong. So I did, and that is where is starts to go downhill.

After I open the ticket explaining that jeremy requested I do so on RC and explaining my situation carlos immediately responded and asked for the serial number, model number and my shipping address. So I thought here we were good to go, they are going to replace the volute and hardware and we will be good, wrong. Carlos emails me back the following day informing me that the pump is out of warranty (which I already knew) and that I have 2 options. They are, I can purchase a new volute for the pump or I can buy a new gen2 pump.... thats it, no sorry about losing thousands of dollars in sps or anything. So I email carlos back and tell him in a noce way that I do not accept these "options" and that hopefully we can come to another resolution. I also explained that the pump itself works perfectly, and if this were a mechanical failure (ie motor siezed, impeller broke) I could see how the 2 options he gave me would be acceptable. I then explained that the only thing wrong with this pump is that they decided as a company to use cheap chinese made stainless steel parts that I would think they would have known they wouldn't hold up in the conditions that the products were to be used for. And also their is a huge thread on RC about this peoblem happening to many people, not just me.

A few days past, I believe it was because of a weekend and then I get a response this time from Chris@coralvue stating that I can clean the rust off the volute, screws and collets with tin foil. And that the best he can do is sell me a new pump for $109 plus shipping. I reaponded kindly that I already cleaned the pump off with tin foil and that I did manage to get the screws clean but the collets have rust way down inside (see pics) that I cannot reach with foil. And there is no way to clean the volute since the metal pieces are sandwiched between 2 pieces of plastic to make the volute 1 piece. I also starts that I cannot see buying a new pump because of a faulty design that has fails on many ppl which is why I felt started the new "redesign" for the new pump.

I then get a response this past friday from carlos explaining that they redesigned the pump to basically stay fresh and that they didn't donit because of any faults in the design of the previous generation pump. and that if I change my mind about buying the new pump he will make a disocunt code for me. And that was it, nothing else.

I responded today stating that I am declining the "offer" on the new pump because again stating that there is nothing wrong mechanically with the old pump. And that I am kind of disappointed in the fact that not once did they even offer to replace the volute, screws and collets. That they just kept trying to get me to buy this new pump.

So we shall see if they respond or not. I think I have been courteous in all my responses to them like they were to me, but I feel like I have been wronged and they will not stand behind their product unless it is under warranty. Am I wrong in feeling this way? I dont think I am, but maybe im crazy.

20150608_001947.jpg

20150608_001954.jpg

20150608_001959.jpg

20150630_042316.jpg

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my ticket on their site and it has been "resolved"

Bravo coralvue, bravo....

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a few weeks old but I'd like to know if any other info has come up?
I have a friend local to me that has had his pump fixed through coralvue twice out of warranty so I was surprised to see this. This was a year ago though so idk if things at coralvue have changed?

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree for sure, warranty or not when it's something that takes time to happen and they know it's they're own fault, they should replace it no questions asked.

Chris@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With over 12 years in the marine aquarium hobby, CoralVue’s goal has always been excellent customer service. We launched the CoralVue Support Portal in December of 2013 and feel that we offer some of the best service in the industry. The use of the support portal helps us to track trends, maintain inventory part levels, provide customers with tracking numbers, help us obtain proof of purchase and offers off hour service.

The Bubble Blaster pump in question is 5 years old with a 3 year warranty. Since your pump is 2 years out of its industry leading warranty we offered the replacement volute & screws for $25.00 or a new pump discounted from the retail price. Our offer still stands, please let us know how you would like to proceed.

Concerning the rust from the screws causing your reef tank to crash, we don’t agree with your accusations. Over the weekend I consulted with many industry experts and reputable installation and maintenance companies on your claim. Every single person I contacted agreed that rust from a few screws would not cause a reef tank crash. In fact, all persons contacted gave examples of them dropping screws and razorblades in aquariums without any ill effects, all reef tanks have some form of rust in them.

We feel we are being made a scapegoat for some other underlying problem that caused your reef tank to fail.

Chris Conti
Vice President
CoralVue

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my same response to that exact post from the facebook post.

Chris Conti the offer you posted about the volute and screws was never once offered during our back and forth involving yourself, carlos and I. The only offer that was given was $50 off a new pump plus shipping.

There has been numerous studies done about having any amount of heavy metals in the water column causing sps to die, so I am not sure what "experts" you consulted but I think they need to do more research and studies on their own.
You are correct about having rust in tanks, esp if you run gfo. But thats not the problem. Its what also leaches out of the stainless steel that is not good for the living inhabitants of our tanks. Again, there are numerous studies on this.

Which also brings me to this, why is it my 10 year old dinner mag drive which uses stainless screws to hold on their volute and has been in constant use over the years has never even showed signs of rusting but yet your stainless parts corroded badly? And in the re design of the bubble blaster the parts that were changed are the screws, volute and collets?

I am not using your company as a "scapegoat" because I am not like that. If I knew or felt it was something else in my tank that could have even caused my sps to die I wouldn't even blink an eye at this. But I am meticulous with my tank and maintenance.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add that since I have removed the skimmer and pump my tank is recovering nicely. I jave changed nothing in my system other than in the very beginning of the problems I did a couple extra large water changes.

I also want to state that if in the beginning that you would have offered a volute as a option I MIGHT have taken it. But again it was never offered. Your company kept pushing the "discounted" pump onto me. Whixh after shipping wasn't a discount at all.

As far as im concerned this is water under the bridge. But I wont be purchasing any products from coralvue and I wont be suggesting them either.

Its funny how I was basically ignored in the portal with emails but as soon as I spread the word on social media I got your attention and of course you aren't standing behind your product by admitting you used faulty pieces in your otherwise decent working pump and just simply wouldn't replace them. But I see your company made the appropriate changes in the pump with the gen 2's by using plastic volutes and titanium screws. But then again I guess that didnt work either since ppl on my social media post are saying that they too are rusting quickly.

Chris@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On June 30th Carlos offered you the $25.00 volute option + new discounted pump option with a link to our website parts pages. You responded back to Carlos that you did not like either option. Also, I was never involved in this discussion, Carlos made the tin foil suggestion. The entire discussion is saved in the CoralVue support portal for your reference.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he did offer the volute. For me to purchase them at full retail no discount and at the same time he suggested I could also buy the pump at full retail.

I did make one mistake, it was jeremey who said he could knock off $50 on the pump, still no discounted price on the volute.

I cannot post copies of the emails but what carlos offered was that I buy either option at full retail. No discount

A discount wasn't even offered until jeremey said he would knock off $50 from the pump and never offered a discount on the volute like you are stating. And he offered that on july 2nd.

I do apologize for saying it was you but in fact it was jeremy in the emails.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%

Back