Quick cycling.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Joined
Mar 10, 2016
Messages
1,525
Reaction score
1,193
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in no real hurry to swap my live stock into the new tank. But I would like to cycle quickly to get a few fish in the tank. I will be using 10 gallons of my water change water from my year and a half old tank. The rock is dry rock, and i am using new live sand. Will the addition of my old water aide in cycling the tank faster? Or should I consider some quick starting product. Or just let it run its course?

I didnt follow any rules when i started my 29gal and was lucky then. Chances are I wint be so lucky this time

Opinions would be spectacular
 
To add water only from your old tank will not really speed up the cycle in your new tank. When you using life sand it's ok and try so get some "life rock" and/or sand from a long time running tank, don't mix it with your sand, just put it in one corner. But the cycle time will be at least 3-4 weeks. You can add a clown fish after 2 weeks, when your ammonia spike down.
Wish you good luck and happy reefing.
 
Water from an old tank is basically just old dirty water. To do a quick cycle you should use live sand, some live rock, and something like Biospira. I used this method with my 29 and my 90...both were fully cycled in under a week.
 
Can you put some dry rock in your current tank now? When's the new tank get wet? Id move at least one rock from current to new when you set it up
 
When you wanna use bac. to speed up, then you right pdt7361, I prefer the old 4 week cycle method ;) but all works.
 
Thanks for the responces, i suppose i could transfer a few small rocks, would it be okay to put them in the sump with that rock? I perfer not messing with the rock scape lol
 
Thanks for the responces, i suppose i could transfer a few small rocks, would it be okay to put them in the sump with that rock? I perfer not messing with the rock scape lol
Yep, should he fine, and they don't have to become part of the aqua scape permanently leave em about 6 weeks an your good
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new