Quick way to increase bacteria population / remove Ammonia

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that as well, think it's that Prime will removes food source from bacteria your trying to grow. That's a guess though.

Prime doesn't remove the ammonia though, and supposedly nitrifying bacteria can still use the ammonia (and nitrite) even with prime. Maybe not with the strand in biospira?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime doesn't remove the ammonia though, and supposedly nitrifying bacteria can still use the ammonia (and nitrite) even with prime. Maybe not with the strand in biospira?

Or could be that Seachem or IO just don't want to play well with each other or limit claims. When you start getting into the "cycling wars" things don't have to make sense to show up on a bottle. :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or could be that Seachem or IO just don't want to play well with each other or limit claims. When you start getting into the "cycling wars" things don't have to make sense to show up on a bottle. :)

Lol you should check out Randy's rants about seachem prime's description on how it works.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tried posting in the Dino thread? I have absolutely no experience with them, and what sort of mayhem they can cause.
This is same area with lights on a just about one week later.

Attachments

• IMG-4113.jpg
    IMG-4113.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So afraid this might happen after hearing the health issues. Dinos can be very toxic depending on species. It’s the same thing as red tides in the ocean. I lost all but one fish and two corals after my Dino outbreak. Some died weeks later. Once the damage is done the fish just can’t recover, it's not a treatment thing, the toxins hit internal organs. It’s nothing you did or didn’t do short of having another tank to put fish in as soon as you realize it’s Dinos and not many of us have that (I don’t) and Dinos can be hard to recognize before it’s too late. You can look at my build thread for my Dino issues and the recovery of the tank. To be honest, the post Dino issues with GHA were as frustrating if not as lethal that in hindsight should’ve led me to rebooting the tank.

I feel for you, Dino are about the worst thing that can happen. Partly because once the fish/corals start dying you just feel helpless. It was as close to leaving the hobby as I've been. However, a year and half later (I think) with my UV running I have a nice looking tank, looking to go a bit bigger and really enjoying myself. But man, did I hate it there for a while.

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about seeding bacteria (or at all). That's not your issue in my opinion and I seriously doubt it's what killed your fish.
Thanks! Yeah i hear they are awful, never experienced it until now. I think the old viewpoint was it was dirty water that allowed them to manifest and take over so I always thought, that won't happen to me, i take care of my stuff lol. Yeah, I guess I took too much care since it seems I zeroed out on Phos/Nitrates to allow this to happen this time and reading that it's now the consensus it's super clean water that can let them outcompete and overtake. I'm content to let it sit now. The bacteria in a bottle was a shot in the dark to boost the bacteria population to help cycle that ammonia down but didn't figure it'd be a permanent fix. I'll run skimmer off / GFO off for a while and just let things happen naturally and monitor. Pretty sure the other clown is on it's way out. Crazy how the purple firefish, ywg, tailspot blenny, six-line and bangai don't seem terribly bothered. All eat well and clowns did up until a couple of days ago. Tank went from literal filth to fairly ok in about a week. I'm going to let it go for a long time before I add anything else for fear of it nuking itself again if I run skimmer/gfo again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back