Quick way to increase bacteria population / remove Ammonia

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick synopsis - Fought Dinos recently that took over tank and destroyed 95% of the coral frags I had. I reduced lights, increased temp, turned off GFO, turned off Skimmer, added UV sterilizer to DT, scrubbed and syphoned from DT to sump filter sock (cleaned sock after). Dinos seem to be at bay but seem to have destroyed by nitrogen cycle bacteria. Ammonia spiked to 0.5-1ppm. Tested after my pair of clowns were acting off. Closest LFS is 45+ min away so WC isn't the easiest thing at the moment (making RODI to mix some but will take time).

Would something like Fritz Turbo Start or another bacteria in a bottle help restore the beneficial bacteria population and knock the ammonia down or will I need to do multiple WC? I'm looking for the quickest to make sure I do not lose any livestock.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likely spiked due to die off and not because you've destroyed the bacteria population. Didn't see you adding any algaecides/dinox (and even if you did, I have for same reason and tank stayed cycled - although somewhat stressed due to die off). Water change would be best, but so would PolyFilter (always keep some for emergency, which if you had you wouldn't be posting). At .1 ammonia isn't likely to be toxic normally at reef pH and I'm assuming your test kit is measuring total ammonia so even less actual toxicity. But your livestock is likely very stressed due to recent dinos. It's easy to say wait and see...but I'd probably make the trip just to be safe - also pick up some emergency stuff as well (Polyfilter).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, adding nitrifying bacteria will help, or at least won't hurt.
Water changes are a good idea.
As others have asked, are you sure you ammonia is that high?
It's possible that your oxygen levels dropped during treatment so adding an air stone might help.

How exactly are your clowns acting?

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the api test kit but color is puke green rather than neon yellow so it’s 0.5-1ppm

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, adding nitrifying bacteria will help, or at least won't hurt.
Water changes are a good idea.
As others have asked, are you sure you ammonia is that high?
It's possible that your oxygen levels dropped during treatment so adding an air stone might help.

How exactly are your clowns acting?
One is on the verge, laying on its side. I placed in a container of salt water I have hooked inside DT to at least keep temp. I don’t have enough saltwater mixed to fill the extra 20 long I have. On the way to lfs to get supplies, and bacteria in a bottle but I don’t think one will make it.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is on the verge, laying on its side. I placed in a container of salt water I have hooked inside DT to at least keep temp. I don’t have enough saltwater mixed to fill the extra 20 long I have. On the way to lfs to get supplies, and bacteria in a bottle but I don’t think one will make it.
Low level ammonia such as yours is likely not the cause, if the test is relatively accurate. I fear your actual problem lies elsewhere.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low level ammonia such as yours is likely not the cause, if the test is relatively accurate. I fear your actual problem lies elsewhere.
At 0.5-1ppm? I agree it could be something else. PH was in check at 8.2. Running carbon and just skinnier now. Other fish not as stressed, at least not that I can discern, all eating. Clowns haven’t eaten in 2-3 days. I had been over feeding a well with the Dino’s due to the lack Of nitrates.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 0.5-1ppm? I agree it could be something else. PH was in check at 8.2. Running carbon and just skinnier now. Other fish not as stressed, at least not that I can discern, all eating. Clowns haven’t eaten in 2-3 days. I had been over feeding a well with the Dino’s due to the lack Of nitrates.
When you convert say 1ppm total ammonia to free ammonia at 8.2pH, standard temp, it’s about 0.07 NH3. Although high and worthy of action, lethal? To a clown? Bare in mind, your figure may be half that.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likely spiked due to die off and not because you've destroyed the bacteria population. Didn't see you adding any algaecides/dinox (and even if you did, I have for same reason and tank stayed cycled - although somewhat stressed due to die off). Water change would be best, but so would PolyFilter (always keep some for emergency, which if you had you wouldn't be posting). At .1 ammonia isn't likely to be toxic normally at reef pH and I'm assuming your test kit is measuring total ammonia so even less actual toxicity. But your livestock is likely very stressed due to recent dinos. It's easy to say wait and see...but I'd probably make the trip just to be safe - also pick up some emergency stuff as well (Polyfilter).
Only livestock lost that I can tell was coral frags (Monty’s. Chalice fav
When you convert say 1ppm total ammonia to free ammonia at 8.2pH, standard temp, it’s about 0.07 NH3. Although high and worthy of action, lethal? To a clown? Bare in mind, your figure may be half that.
thanks! Makes sense. I bought some bacteria in a bottle and amlock. No idea what could have gotten to them, they were pigs.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only livestock lost that I can tell was coral frags (Monty’s. Chalice fav

thanks! Makes sense. I bought some bacteria in a bottle and amlock. No idea what could have gotten to them, they were pigs.
Be careful using the Amlock and bacteria together.

I know that Prime can't be used with Bio Spira.

If you add both products, definitely add an air stone to the tank.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things today? A pic of the tank would be nice.
Small clown didn't make it. I added Fritz Turbo Start to beef up the beneficial bacteria but no visible change in parameters yet. I grabbed AmGuard yesterday, not AmLock so that's another option but i'm starting to thing this will have to run it's course + water changes. I'm attaching the API results from this morning, a pic from a week ago of the Dino and i'll add a pic of the tank later. I still have the light cycle reduced for now so lights won't be up for several more hours.

You think coral frag die-off would pump up the levels this much? The monti (or what's left) in the dino was normal 12 hours before that, then when I got home completely bleached and slimed.

Attachments

• IMG-4112.jpg
    IMG-4112.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-4107.jpg
    IMG-4107.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 41

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small clown didn't make it. I added Fritz Turbo Start to beef up the beneficial bacteria but no visible change in parameters yet. I grabbed AmGuard yesterday, not AmLock so that's another option but i'm starting to thing this will have to run it's course + water changes. I'm attaching the API results from this morning, a pic from a week ago of the Dino and i'll add a pic of the tank later. I still have the light cycle reduced for now so lights won't be up for several more hours.

You think coral frag die-off would pump up the levels this much? The monti (or what's left) in the dino was normal 12 hours before that, then when I got home completely bleached and slimed.
You tried posting in the Dino thread? I have absolutely no experience with them, and what sort of mayhem they can cause.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tried posting in the Dino thread? I have absolutely no experience with them, and what sort of mayhem they can cause.
Frankly, I didn't realize there was a dino thread. I'll try to find it. I was more shocked to see the levels elevated and the clownfish response I just went to the general thread.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So afraid this might happen after hearing the health issues. Dinos can be very toxic depending on species. It’s the same thing as red tides in the ocean. I lost all but one fish and two corals after my Dino outbreak. Some died weeks later. Once the damage is done the fish just can’t recover, it's not a treatment thing, the toxins hit internal organs. It’s nothing you did or didn’t do short of having another tank to put fish in as soon as you realize it’s Dinos and not many of us have that (I don’t) and Dinos can be hard to recognize before it’s too late. You can look at my build thread for my Dino issues and the recovery of the tank. To be honest, the post Dino issues with GHA were as frustrating if not as lethal that in hindsight should’ve led me to rebooting the tank.

I feel for you, Dino are about the worst thing that can happen. Partly because once the fish/corals start dying you just feel helpless. It was as close to leaving the hobby as I've been. However, a year and half later (I think) with my UV running I have a nice looking tank, looking to go a bit bigger and really enjoying myself. But man, did I hate it there for a while.

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about seeding bacteria (or at all). That's not your issue in my opinion and I seriously doubt it's what killed your fish.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful using the Amlock and bacteria together.

I know that Prime can't be used with Bio Spira.

If you add both products, definitely add an air stone to the tank.

Where did you see prime can't be used with bio spira? I am not disagreeing I am just curious as I haven't heard that before

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you see prime can't be used with bio spira? I am not disagreeing I am just curious as I haven't heard that before
I've heard that as well, think it's that Prime will removes food source from bacteria your trying to grow. That's a guess though.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back