Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam probably has a steady stream and very high co2 rate so clogging effluents aren’t as problematic under high effluent rates. Though I AM interested in hearing about it. I thought that the needle valve is what typically clogs with precipitate, not algae and detritus. What does this filter actually do?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam probably has a steady stream and very high co2 rate so clogging effluents aren’t as problematic under high effluent rates. Though I AM interested in hearing about it. I thought that the needle valve is what typically clogs with precipitate, not algae and detritus. What does this filter actually do?

The filter is very very fine and will filter all the minute calcium carbonate dust that potentially will clog the needle valve .
If you wipe your glass often and have algae build up , it will also be filtered by the filter and will eventually clog the filter and will need to be cleaned .
Yes the trick is to have steady stream of effluent and hence higher pH in your reactor and less co2 to achieve the same alkalinity .
It works like a charm .
I haven't touched my effluent in 2 months and it's still steady flow .
I check all everyday at 7 am and it's always 8.5-8.6 for the last few months .

Regard,
Abhishek

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a kamoer fx-stp for $144. Thats the advantage of working in China. I will be taking it home with me in 2 weeks and then straight onto my reactor.

I’d be interested in how it goes for you. Please let us know re noise especially. All the videos I have seen, someone is talking or music is playing over the top. I hated the noise/screech my old GHL doser 2.1 made - it was why I switched to calcium reactor in the first place, with the IKS Vario Blue 2 to feed it.

I’m especially curious how the Kamoer stands up to humidity with those rollers so exposed and what mounting options it comes with. I picked the IKS because it is IP54 on the electronics/motor housing and also has a cap over the rollers and a drain (so if the peristaltic tubing wears out, any liquid can be directed back to the sump). It makes noise but at a frequency that doesn’t bother me.

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try a brushless masterflex. I understand people say they’re much less noisy
I have a brushless masterflex and can't even hear it. They are expensive though. Brs has a new peristaltic pump, but I'm not sure how quiet that one is

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be interested in how it goes for you. Please let us know re noise especially. All the videos I have seen, someone is talking or music is playing over the top. I hated the noise/screech my old GHL doser 2.1 made - it was why I switched to calcium reactor in the first place, with the IKS Vario Blue 2 to feed it.

I’m especially curious how the Kamoer stands up to humidity with those rollers so exposed and what mounting options it comes with. I picked the IKS because it is IP54 on the electronics/motor housing and also has a cap over the rollers and a drain (so if the peristaltic tubing wears out, any liquid can be directed back to the sump). It makes noise but at a frequency that doesn’t bother me.
I will be happy to take a few photos and videos for you. I looked at the Vario Blue 2 but I chose the FX-STP solely because of what appeared to be better speed control. The VB2 goes from 7ml/min to 4.2l/min
How do you fine tune the flow rate on that?
I’m hoping the kamoer is quiet but if it isn’t then at least everyone will have the video evidence.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be happy to take a few photos and videos for you. I looked at the Vario Blue 2 but I chose the FX-STP solely because of what appeared to be better speed control. The VB2 goes from 7ml/min to 4.2l/min
How do you fine tune the flow rate on that?
I’m hoping the kamoer is quiet but if it isn’t then at least everyone will have the video evidence.

The VB2’s potentiometer is good enough for the job and it’s reasonably granular in its control. That said, I’m running my VB2 at its max for the CaRx with an effluent pH of 6.7. I find using a fixed rate of 70ml/min on the VB2 works well for me with the carbon doser regulator providing most of my control. I have tried using a lower pH and a slower effluent but I find the reactor is quieter running it faster, albeit less gas efficient.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see but this is the part that confuses me. All the paper work I can find for the VB2 says it runs up to 4.2l/min and not 70ml/min. Did you perhaps buy a slightly different model? Are you happy with the VB2? How quiet is the unit?

All the questions you have for me, I have for you

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
66A0AB64-1595-448B-9F60-5C2A99614E24.jpeg
A46767FF-31E8-4ECD-9ADB-D1A5ED9BF41E.jpeg

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so having some trouble uploading a video

First impressions:
Very solid construction. It’s a fairly small unit but build quality seems high. There is a noise from the rollers which I will investigate tomorrow. I honestly don’t believe I will be able to hear it when it is inside a cabinet

I will upload a video when I can

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see but this is the part that confuses me. All the paper work I can find for the VB2 says it runs up to 4.2l/min and not 70ml/min. Did you perhaps buy a slightly different model? Are you happy with the VB2? How quiet is the unit?

All the questions you have for me, I have for you

Which paperwork are you looking at? On all the german websites listing it for sale that I have looked at, it says from 7ml/min to 4.2l/hr (ie, 70ml/min).

I am very happy with it. It is a little noisy, but the noise is more bass and rhythmic, whereas the GHL 2.1 was an irregular screech. Unless I focus on the noise, I do not hear it. It has proven itself reliable to me. I have run the VB2 as a kalk doser/ato for over two years without needing to change its tubing or rollers. The unit on my calcium reactor has been running continuously for 8-10 months now without issue or needing tubing/rollers changed.

Here is a copy of the first page of instructions that come with the VB2 that I scanned, OCR'd and translated from German to English and then reprinted (the second page deals with how to replace tubing etc):

aeec9f94a23667d4c9af75f2ace488fd.jpg

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

The unit has failed. There is absolutely no power inside. Pretty poor considering it was only in use for 1.5 days. I am trying to get a replacement and hopefully it is a one off.

I will keep you all informed.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back