Quirky crabs

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else's hermit crab do this?
I have 11 in total, but there is only one who likes to find a nice position (full light, in the open) flip over, lay on his back, and just stare at the surface. He can do this for a long time before getting up, grazing a little, and then come back to the same place and lay on his back again. Not re-treating into his shell, just peeping out.
He stays in one spot for a few days before moving on and finding another spot he likes to lay on his back and stare at the surface.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6B68483A-2D7C-4453-A5AC-FCD46C768CC9.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else's hermit crab do this?
I have 11 in total, but there is only one who likes to find a nice position (full light, in the open) flip over, lay on his back, and just stare at the surface. He can do this for a long time before getting up, grazing a little, and then come back to the same place and lay on his back again. Not re-treating into his shell, just peeping out.
He stays in one spot for a few days before moving on and finding another spot he likes to lay on his back and stare at the surface.

That’s a lazy hermit!!! :p Perhaps you’re not paying him enough...

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anymore have any idea what may cause this behavior? It dosnt seem like the kind of behavior that would help in terms of survival.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anymore have any idea what may cause this behavior? It dosnt seem like the kind of behavior that would help in terms of survival.
Is there bigger empty shells it can move into? Check ammonia. That’s def not normal lol.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there bigger empty shells it can move into? Check ammonia. That’s def not normal lol.
There are a lot of shells, of all varying sizes. You can see some in the video attached, there are more empties on and behind the rocks too. For every crab I got, I three extra shells, always bigger than their current ones.
I haven't tested ammonia, but I tested my nitrates and they were at 5ppm after not doing a water change for 11days now. I used to change the water each week (15 - 20%) but I think it was too much as my macros weren't getting enough nitrates.
All the other crabs and tank inhabitants are perfectly normal.
This one crab has been doing this since I got him right in the beginning.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back