Quoyi Parrot Longevity

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectacular fish but I have heard both sides of the argument for Keeping this guy in captivity.

Leave in the ocean v. Feed them like an herbivore and they will be fine

So, anyone out there have a parrot in captivity beyond three years?

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot would depend on their natural lifespan, as they are a smaller parrotfish species this is likely 5-6 years and since I have mostly seen adult males imported I would guess that many only have 2-3 years left as it is. Would need to know more about this specific species natural lifespan first though. Currently I am keeping a stoplight parrot that has tripled in size over 3 months from a 1.5" juv to a bit over 4" and a juv Striped parrot which has grown much more solely.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump!!! Might by one tonight!!! Anyone?
Mines are 4 years old or so. Had them together in my 720. About 3 years ago one turned on the other. I rehired the female and when my buddy tore down his tank I got her back and now keep her in my 350. Long story short mines have survived multiple tank wipeouts and are super hardy. Eat anything I toss in and don’t mess with coral. Occasional nipping may happen but nothing malicious per se. lol. Great fish! Full of character and always skimming around

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Feet4Fish

Hope you are good tonight

Read thru this thread. Everyone needs to make their own decisions for their tank. You only become an advanced aquarist by trying new things, but also by using resources and reference material to help along the way.

To give you reference, right now I am in a similar situation. I am working with a sweetlips clown. There are multiple issues I need to get past to be successful. They have to get fed a good diet. They can be tough to feed. Once they are eating there is still a chance months from now they just stop eating and diet due to being caught with cyanide. If I can make it to the year to 2 year mark I think I am in the clear and I am building my dream tank to house him in. So I think planning for a long life is the key if you are committed to buying a fish. I love parrots, they are great

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you may know, I have tried a quoyi on three occasions. One never made it out of QT, the other two did. One went into the main display and simply could not compete. The third went into a low stress refugium and still withered away after about 7 months. I don’t personally know anyone who has had longer term success.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add a friend of mine has had one for about 18 months now. Not sure that he has any secrets

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a Quoyi arriving on Thursday! Will throughly QT for internal parasites. And get him conditioned to aggressively eat for he goes to the DT.

myles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will be 4 years on 11/1. For the first couple of years he was a relatively slow eater so if you get one I would recommend placing it with fish that don't go crazy at meal time. At this point he is an aggressive feeder and could compete with any commonly kept reef fish. The fish is safe with corals. Mine picked on a war coral but otherwise has left all my other corals alone and is very entertaining to watch as he is always scraping at the rock and sand.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been the most avid eater out of the bunch! Robust here for only one year. Great fish. Buncha weirdos they are.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine for about 6 months. Ate anything, extremely easy to feed and awesome to have in the tank. Stopped eating for 2 days and was gone. No idea why other than it seems to happen a lot with these guys. Its hit or miss. No one seems to have secrets to longevity. Good luck.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine for about 6 months. Ate anything, extremely easy to feed and awesome to have in the tank. Stopped eating for 2 days and was gone. No idea why other than it seems to happen a lot with these guys. Its hit or miss. No one seems to have secrets to longevity. Good luck.
Did you happen to treat him at any point for internal parasites?

Reason I ask is that recently my French Angel stopped eating. However from the day I got him until his hunger strike he was a huge eater! After talking to a few here in the forum figure he very likely had internal parasites! Logic is as follows....fish initially eats well but most it all of the nutrition goes to the parasite. After so long the fish, not receiving nutrition from the food, exhausts his energy stores and weakens severely losing will to eat. Luckily he is a huge fish which gave me a good amount of time to diagnose and treat. I treated him for internal parasites then in a bout a week later he started eating. He is eating a normal amount now for a fish of his size not the huge amount he was before with the presumed parasite.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did a qt parasite treatment as it seems to be common with them and I was really hoping to be successful. :(

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back