R2R App and Tapatalk Users Are Missing Out

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bye bye Tapatalk.....a lot better on my iPhone with my new R2R icon.

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Tapatalk in the past and never really liked it. I would just wait until I could get to my PC instead.
  • The Reef2Reef app is awesome! It's definitely one of the best Android apps out there. I especially like the notifications I get on my phone, which highlight items I might be interested in and make me look at Reef2Reef more often.
  • The mobile browser is very well developed also. The menus are well thought out, as the overall look and feel of the site.
Also, if you need and beta testers for the Reef2Reef Android App, please put me on the list.

Thanks and keep up the good work :)

FYI, this is one of the menus I mentioned on the mobile website:
R2R home menu.jpg

Also, this is the Push notifications screen in the Reef2Reef App, where you can select to get notifications on your phone:
r2r push notifications.jpg

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Tapatalk but also like the mobile site. I use both as they each have benefits the other doesn't have. Doesn't have to be only one or the other.

Sent from whatever works...

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hrrm, I've tried from both my iPhone 7+ (running iOS 11) but also my iPad Mini (running 10.3.1) with the same error message. Maybe I'll try on my iPad Pro tonight though I suspect the issue is with "live photos" in iOS. I'll have to try a standard image I imported from my camera to see if that works.

Edit: I tested and regular images upload. It's the "live photo" variety that are getting the error. Is there a specific extension maybe for these photos that needs to be allowed?

@revhtree - it seems the "live photos" in iOS are stored as JPEG extensions. Is that allowed currently?
I could see it being this! I don't have this problem as my phone is pre-live-photo generation. The issue would fall into a strange category of something in between GIF and JPG, I'll have to ask about this one myself. Good catch!
The Reef2Reef app is awesome!
The branded R2R app is actually just a customized version of Tapatalk, so they essentially are both Tapatalk for purposes of what Rev refers to in the 1st post - you can't see things like articles, media center, etc that are addons customized to the forum software. Those type of addons "confuse" tapatalk and will throw you to random threads or show broken pic links or something.

Tapatalk was great when people ran forum software that was completely unreadable on a iPhone 3 size screen. The responsive design built into Xenforo eliminates this issue, as does the advent of phones with screens the size of a piece of toast

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the app and browsed over to the site...and found that I often can't link properly to threads via push notifications I get...and if there's a thread pushed my way that I really want to check out, I often need to open the site to be able to read it.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used the mobile version.. only thing I find wrong is the ability to see numbered post which helps in live sales.. other than that.. I love it.. and as much as I love my R2R family.. I can deal with one issue lol

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have always used the mobile version.. only thing I find wrong is the ability to see numbered post which helps in live sales.. other than that.. I love it.. and as much as I love my R2R family.. I can deal with one issue lol

Hey if you rotate your phone or device to landscape you'll the see the numbered posts! :D

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Reef2Reef and I think @revhtree is great - but can you folks please stop/reconsider these clickbate headlines that you're sending to everyone on the site? There are some things worth all of our attention, but for the last few weeks there's been a misleading title like this pushed out to the whole community for a minor issue/advertisingn once or twice a week.

I expect better from this community.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was very skeptical as taptalk is very convenient . I belong to 23 forums and its a great way to keep them all organized. Taptalk had its glitches but still pros beat out cons. However i gave this mobile site a try and............ yes, yes it is better in so much of a way that it got its own shortcut! I hope all my other forums dont follow suit or im going to have a lot of short cuts!

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest love with taptalk is that it follows the posts/conversions that I am interested in and it notifies me to keep up with them (not email, I hate email). You're telling me that your website can do that? Please explain because that's the only reason I use taptalk is to be notified.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain because that's the only reason I use taptalk is to be notified.
^ this is pretty much the only reason I keep Tapatalk around. Persistent notifications, like for this thread for instance, I will get push alerts for every post even when I haven't visited in days, weeks, not sure how long they actually persist (pretty sure, it's a very long time). I like to see these because I can tell when thread "blows up".

I belong to 23 forums and its a great way to keep them all organized. Taptalk had its glitches but still pros beat out cons.
There has been an off & off push for a Xenforo-specific mobile app, one that, in theory, would be similar to Tapatalk but paid for by the forum admins and would allow you to keep track of all the Xenforo forums you were part of within a single app. One looked like it was on a pretty good track and then fell flat on it's back. It's not as easy as it might seem to make this a reality. Tapatalk has apparently had to resort to some very questionable methodologies in order to keep it going. This sort of falls into the same category as Photobucket, it's not a very sustainable model to make it free to everyone.

I had made a suggestion to Tapatalk several times that they hybrid their system together so that you could view their thread index etc on the app but when you actually go to visit a thread, it opens it up in the mobile browser so that you get the full "responsive" experience (on a forum-by-form basis, user configurable per forum, etc), but that fell on completely deaf ears, they are apparently not interested at all in anything that would involve steering traffic away from their app. Maybe if some Big Board heavy-hitters started hounding them, they might listen a bit more.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back