R2R....my Reefing Safe Haven

scdigby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you ever try to talk reef on other platforms and social media?
Not anymore. No. i left that other one.. you know... that "central" one back in 2005. Threads that would go off-topic almost immediately, bickering and trolls trolls trolls! i heard that they've gotten better and have pretty strict rules about that now, but i wouldn't know for sure. i haven't been back there in 15 years. i occasionally look at my local reef club's forum, but most of the people on that forum don't post there. They come here instead :) unless they're planning a frag swap or some other kind of get together.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2015 when I was getting back in the reefing game, I was looking for information on setting up my current system. I went to different sites, R2R seem to fit. The thing that stood out most was friendliness and Member willing to help without make one feel bad for asking the simplest of questions. I have made some pretty good friend here over the past couple of years, here on R2R that I have never met in person. We talk almost every day in threads or via PM.

When I was asked to become part of the staff, I was and am very honored to extend the help and friendliness that I received when I first became a member. :)

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly here and my local club forum as I'm President and webmaster. Also, FB groups only for insight as to which people should be steered clear of. We host frag swaps and such so it's a direct insight to check out vendors and frag farmers.

Last edited:

RamblinSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined a few facebook groups but people can be vicious there. Like yes they shouldn't have that hippo tang in the 10 gallon tank but they also don't need a couple dozen people calling them an idiot for it.

Otherwise I think there's a few subreddits I follow but those are mainly just a source of cool photos as opposed to knowledge and such.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No longer on any social media other than this. Sadly I think I’m on at least 4 hours a day. With 3 kids all in multiple sports it’s kind of impressive. Funny thing just noticed is that everyone who has commented in this thread is mostly everyone I always see on.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since it’s not private to you then I will proudly show it off! I literally got chills when I opened it and read the letter. It’s priceless to me now!!

Tell the story bro!

7DDCC313-0BBA-47A4-A8E9-22E4CF57012B.jpeg
This is what it looked like when I found it then when I cleaned it

DD37C596-FD37-447C-8A2E-9824135FA3DC.jpeg 36CDCBD4-AF23-4B43-BCEF-00BFC0617F9E.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined a few facebook groups but people can be vicious there. Like yes they shouldn't have that hippo tang in the 10 gallon tank but they also don't need a couple dozen people calling them an idiot for it.

Otherwise I think there's a few subreddits I follow but those are mainly just a source of cool photos as opposed to knowledge and such.
What I like about R2R is people will help you, not scare you away. Even the best of us have made countless mistakes. My goal is to help people learn from my past mistakes (I’ve made them all!).

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike FB groups because they are useless for finding historical information - need to find an answer to a question you know has been asked 100 times? Good luck in a FB group. I know you can search etc - but you are only going to be presented with results that FB wants you to see - or that are replicated to the particular batch of servers or DC you are connected to at that time.

I've previously been involved with a local club - but holy cow, the popularity contests that go on are stupid - and I'm not good at those as I tend to let my minds thoughts fly right out of my mouth or keyboard. I still participate there almost daily and I offer help when I can, or request help when I need it. Ignoring the ignorant and avoiding the narcissists can be tiring at times.

I'm here a fair bit - usually either trying to learn something, trying to buy/sell something, researching something or trying to offer my experiences to someone about something if they ask.

In all reality - I've backed off from R2R lately due to the commercialization (ummm, how many times do I need to be told some random good picture taker is having a live sale this weekend?) and some of the knowledge I've been absorbing as of late has been better on another site.

There is turmoil and nonsense everywhere (including here) and I've let it get the better of me in past days (not here) - one reason I do stick around here is the nonsense is generally shut down pretty quick.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So how did this thread start;)

I was on social media, not a forum. People were really being mean to one another and it got me thinking about how blessed we are to have a place to talk reefs and be safe!

Is that what you are asking?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dislike FB groups because they are useless for finding historical information - need to find an answer to a question you know has been asked 100 times? Good luck in a FB group. I know you can search etc - but you are only going to be presented with results that FB wants you to see - or that are replicated to the particular batch of servers or DC you are connected to at that time.

I've previously been involved with a local club - but holy cow, the popularity contests that go on are stupid - and I'm not good at those as I tend to let my minds thoughts fly right out of my mouth or keyboard. I still participate there almost daily and I offer help when I can, or request help when I need it. Ignoring the ignorant and avoiding the narcissists can be tiring at times.

I'm here a fair bit - usually either trying to learn something, trying to buy/sell something, researching something or trying to offer my experiences to someone about something if they ask.

In all reality - I've backed off from R2R lately due to the commercialization (ummm, how many times do I need to be told some random good picture taker is having a live sale this weekend?) and some of the knowledge I've been absorbing as of late has been better on another site.

There is turmoil and nonsense everywhere (including here) and I've let it get the better of me in past days (not here) - one reason I do stick around here is the nonsense is generally shut down pretty quick.

Well I for one appreciate you “looking over” the parts of R2R you don’t like and sticking around with us. Past the trees to see the forest type of thing! Thank you!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some stupid responses to questions on other boards. Specifically a Facebook group I’m in. And then I respond and tell them the correct answer because I’ve seen the correct answer here. So yeah this is home for my reef stuff

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He can't prove that! His leak and my being at his house just HAPPEN to coincide.
Hahahahahaha no matter what it’s better than any work I would have done on my own... just ask @HotRocks

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back