rabbit fish and tang aggression - to much?

niklas.baastrup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

So I bought an A. Maculiceps the other day at my LFS acclimated him and added him to the acclimation box when it was dark. None of the other fish seemed to care, a part from my bellus angel who swam by from time to time and looked .

I opened the lid and the tang swam out.

Right after the fighting started between the tang and my rabbitfish.
I did expect some fighting but the rabbit fish keeps chasing the tang.

I added a mirror which seems to break their fighting when they see them self

So my question is, is this a normal amount or is to much?

I have attached a video

Attachments

• 20210627_131747_001.mp4
    57.7 MB

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn’t ever end, it’s a problem.

My damsel got into a fight with my powder blue. It lasted about 15 minutes and now they are friends.

Prior to that my Vlamingi and Foxface got into a fight. It also lasted a short time.

I can’t see your video. Having a long tank; even if it isn’t huge, is important for these fish because a- they like to swim, and b, it gives everyone enough space to “go to their own corner.”

OP
OP
N

niklas.baastrup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they have been fighting for around an hour now (with breaks in between).
They seems to be slowing down a bit, and the fighting is less physical. For how long should i accept the fighting, hours, or on and of for days?

I dont know why you cant see the video. It works fine when i press the link my self.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the video on my phone.

That seems pretty harmless to me. For tangs I would draw the line at if there is damage. If there is no damage, and everyone is eating, I would put up with it for a couple days. Make sure you are feeding a lot. Feed several times a day. If the rabbit takes a nori clip, keep that full. Does the new tang come out and eat?

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the video, but likely just a 1st day show of who's boss. Not sure how big your tank is, but those 2 fish shouldn't bother each other. I've kept 5 Maculiceps, and they will be the aggressor especially as they get large, but not towards Siganus sp. Personally, they are my favorite tang.

OP
OP
N

niklas.baastrup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

I ended up putting the rabbit fish in my acclimation box and turned of the light early. This morning before the light has started i opened the box. Besides a short harmless confront everything seems fine and they are swimming arround the tank. Still quite dark though.

Back