Rabbitfish in reefs?

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about adding a Rabbitfish to my 180 mixed reef. I have been told horror stories about Foxfaces boldly devouring zoas and soft corals from other people up here in Alaska. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with other Rabbitfish species. Are Siganus virgatus or Siganus doliatus any less likely to be problems in my tank or should I leave them in the ocean?

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regular two spot (Don't know the species, sorry) and he is a perfect citizen in my mixed reef....

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they are well fed they shouldn't bother corals notice i said shouldn't. Can't know for sure about what individual fish will eat.

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen 2 different orange spotted rabbits devour zoas. I've also seen many orange and other species as models. Its a matter of personal taste for the fish.

SS

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be getting rid of my orange spot. Hasnt hurt a thing in my tank except zoas. I have a good bit of lps and sps neve touched anything. I put some zoas in and he cleaned them up. He is well fed too. Some fish do some dont. lol

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a foxface that left all my coral alone, except for my xenia. Wiped them all out. Left everything else alone.

Crystal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Scribble Rabbitfish that didn't touch my zoas or other softies. At that time I didn't have any LPS or SPS. But, he would eat almost any kind of live macro I put in there. I gave him one dried algae sheet everyday.

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend them. I had one for close to 5 yrs and he was a model citizen. Then all the sudden he started nipping at my acros. He was fed very well, in fact he would still go for the acros right after eating. Had to get him out. And that was a job. Took almost 2 mos to trap him. Meanwhile, my acros suffered.

Last edited:

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a pair of orange spots. One day, one went rogue and beat the other one to death. I fed it regularly and daily, but it eventually decided it liked lps and zoanthids. It became a gift to someone who has a FOWLR. No more rabbitfish for me.
Gary

pete43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both a scribble rabbitfish and a foxface that did'nt touch a thing.The only reason I got rid of them is I felt sorry that I was keeping them in a 65gal tank.
So long,Pete

OP
OP
J

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your responses. I know it is a risk and I am not sure if I am willing to take that risk at this point. I have lots of Zoas that I would hate to become food.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SaraB must be working at her paying job today or she would tell you about her zo-munching rabbitfish. It also went to a tank where it couldn't do any damage.
Gary

anomie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, I was in the same boat, undecided about a rabbit fish. I got a dolitus and he's been great. Ate all my bubble algae and hasn't touched a thing in my mostly softie and LPS tank. I do keep him well feed though.

Last edited:

ReefRunner

Reef hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a magnificent foxface in a 280 mixed reef and he has never bothered any of my corals. I do agree that individuals vary. They are beautiful additions to the tank though.

Robin

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a pair of orange spots. One day, one went rogue and beat the other one to death. I fed it regularly and daily, but it eventually decided it liked lps and zoanthids. It became a gift to someone who has a FOWLR. No more rabbitfish for me.
Gary

Jason says that "Bugs" is doing great Gary...he's grown about 1/2" since he came home and is an eating machine. Prefers eating out of my son's hand, even to the point of sticking it's face out of the water. I think he's one of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen, but being the zoa and LPS lover I am, I'm afraid he'd be sushi if he went after my corals. As it is, he's doing great, even gets along with the Foxface Lo in the FOWLR tank. Thanks again.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back