Radion for red sea

Raym975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea e170 max. Considering upgrading lights to radion. Anyone else done this?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use kessils on my red sea system - absolutely nothing wrong with deviating from red sea brand lights if you like something else better.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many have replaced the Red Sea lights. It might be an upgrade, but it also might only be a change... depending on what you are looking to accomplish.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with the light that comes on the e170 max but I do have a reefer 170 same demensions. I started with an Ai hydra 26hd, went to two radion xr15 gen 4 and currently running a reefbreeders photon 24 v2 pro along with a 24" 4 bulb t5 hybrid. The set up I have now obviously puts out a lot of light and I really like the T5s. But to be honest the hydra 26 did fine as well as the radions. I tend to change things when I get bored and being retired I get bored a lot.
I guess I would ask what are you trying to accomplish with a new light?

Oceanavekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used the LED 90s that came with my emax 260 the arms can’t be used on non Red Sea tanks with the mount holes. Had I known that I probably would have gone with something else and saved the money. I had a Gen 5/gen 6 pro on my tank now I have one hydra 32 and Gen 6 pro. Gives a nice mix. Things that need more par go on the radion side tho most AI/ecotech light will do well. All depends on what you’re trying to accomplish

OP
OP
R

Raym975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with the light that comes on the e170 max but I do have a reefer 170 same demensions. I started with an Ai hydra 26hd, went to two radion xr15 gen 4 and currently running a reefbreeders photon 24 v2 pro along with a 24" 4 bulb t5 hybrid. The set up I have now obviously puts out a lot of light and I really like the T5s. But to be honest the hydra 26 did fine as well as the radions. I tend to change things when I get bored and being retired I get bored a lot.
I guess I would ask what are you trying to accomplish with a new light?
Thanks for the response...goal is to grow more corals. I found my par readings to be low in a lot of places and lots of shade effects in the light. Ive read that other lights do better.

OP
OP
R

Raym975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used the LED 90s that came with my emax 260 the arms can’t be used on non Red Sea tanks with the mount holes. Had I known that I probably would have gone with something else and saved the money. I had a Gen 5/gen 6 pro on my tank now I have one hydra 32 and Gen 6 pro. Gives a nice mix. Things that need more par go on the radion side tho most AI/ecotech light will do well. All depends on what you’re trying to accomplish
Thank you. Yeah my goal is to grow coral and my next obsticle is finding an arm extension or converter to be able to retro fit different lights

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a liitle info. Nothing wrong with radions but maybe take a look at the reef breeders photons. They come with legs that stand on the tank and a hanging kit in the box and also offer an optional hang on back bracket. A 24 is tight but the included legs will fit on a reefer 170. I'm running them on 2 tanks and they definately grow coral.

Couple of pics so you can see the mounting options
This is the optional back of tank mount on my reefer 170 20231101_175919.jpg

This is them on my reefer 300 using the included tank mounting legs. I'm going all in on sps in this tank so I have 2 photon 32s. The mounts are all the same. 20231118_115537.jpg

Oceanavekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response...goal is to grow more corals. I found my par readings to be low in a lot of places and lots of shade effects in the light. Ive read that other lights do better.

Here’s a great video on Par from BRS. I like the hydra 32 and radion XR15. I’ve never used Kessil but heard a lot of good things about them. You can find most lights used for a good price

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back