Radion G5 Rant. $900?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vast majority of my equipment was bought secondhand including my Orpheks. Sometimes I even make money on what I have bought. Thank god for the most have the latest kit guys as it often means I get a bargain.
Yes let them take the depreciation! I have some got to have it all guys around me and get good stuff from them at cheep prices.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes let them take the depreciation! I have some got to have it all guys around me and get good stuff from them at cheep prices.
Good equipment doesn't become bad in a year or two. Most of my equipment is what most would call high end with a few exceptions, even my D-D 1500s pro tank was secondhand less than a year old, excellent condition for less than half it was bought for. Way to go.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
latest kit guys

This made me chuckle. I have always viewed ‘latest kit guys’ with great fondness .... they’ve allowed me to assemble a world class sound system that would have been beyond my means bought new. Also known as bright shiny object syndrome .... though I suppose with these gen5 radions, they actually are bright shiny objects LOL.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This made me chuckle. I have always viewed ‘latest kit guys’ with great fondness .... they’ve allowed me to assemble a world class sound system that would have been beyond my means bought new. Also known as bright shiny object syndrome .... though I suppose with these gen5 radions, they actually are bright shiny objects LOL.
Where would we be without them?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the iPhone comparisons but would also argue that the iPhone is also much more useful and innovative. I don’t see the innovation in the Radion. Does it grow corals better than cheaper lights?
Of course it grows and colors corals better. The higher the price in this hobby, the better growth and more colorful your corals will be. That is a fact!

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it grows and colors corals better. The higher the price in this hobby, the better growth and more colorful your corals will be. That is a fact!
Why did nobody tell me this? I would have replaced the lights ive recently bought if id have known.
Jeez you live and learn

good.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny how a lot of bargain shoppers talk crap about the people who buy new and upgrade often, as if they've got it all figured out and the rest of us are just suckers. If people didn't buy new and upgrade often many of these companies would cease to exist. I think it's cool when people build setups for cheap, if they get enjoyment out of the hobby by doing that. I personally enjoy spending my money on whatever I want and wouldn't ever buy anything used. Neither way is right or wrong, just do what you enjoy and be happy with your choices.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny how a lot of bargain shoppers talk crap about the people who buy new and upgrade often, as if they've got it all figured out and the rest of us are just suckers. If people didn't buy new and upgrade often many of these companies would cease to exist. I think it's cool when people build setups for cheap, if they get enjoyment out of the hobby by doing that. I personally enjoy spending my money on whatever I want and wouldn't ever buy anything used. Neither way is right or wrong, just do what you enjoy and be happy with your choices.
Why wouldn't you buy anything used?
However, I think you are missing the point. Those that would like to buy new cant afford to and often buy secondhand at a fraction of the new price which they can afford. Also if people didn't buy used equipment then many couldn't fund the new stuff as they relie on there older stuff selling to help offset the cost of new. I do agree with you to enjoy and be happy with your choice, I am really disappointed in anything secondhand I have bought. Each to their own and you pays your money etc.

good.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't you buy anything used?
However, I think you are missing the point. Those that would like to buy new cant afford to and often buy secondhand at a fraction of the new price which they can afford. Also if people didn't buy used equipment then many couldn't fund the new stuff as they relie on there older stuff selling to help offset the cost of new. I do agree with you to enjoy and be happy with your choice, I am really disappointed in anything secondhand I have bought. Each to their own and you pays your money etc.
I wouldn't buy anything used because that's just how I feel. Part of the hobby I enjoy is buying new things often. That was exactly my point though, everyone is different and there is no right or wrong way to enjoy something but it seems like a lot of people who enjoy getting great deals seem to make fun of people who buy new. Your point that people who buy used is because they can't afford new isn't totally true, there are plenty of people would prefer to buy used even if they had the money for new, because they enjoy getting a good deal. Again, my point is everyone is different, there's no need to look negatively at other people's choices, which I seem to see a lot of in these types of threads.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy anything used because that's just how I feel. Part of the hobby I enjoy is buying new things often. That was exactly my point though, everyone is different and there is no right or wrong way to enjoy something but it seems like a lot of people who enjoy getting great deals seem to make fun of people who buy new. Your point that people who buy used is because they can't afford new isn't totally true, there are plenty of people would prefer to buy used even if they had the money for new, because they enjoy getting a good deal. Again, my point is everyone is different, there's no need to look negatively at other people's choices, which I seem to see a lot of in these types of threads.
I didnt use the word all anywhere. What I said is many people used the money they get for their old equipment to help offset the cost of the new. Of course not everybody needs or does so that's why I never suggested such. I also agreed with some of your comments but you may have misread them as well.

good.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt use the word all anywhere. What I said is many people used the money they get for their old equipment to help offset the cost of the new. Of course not everybody needs or does so that's why I never suggested such. I also agreed with some of your comments but you may have misread them as well.
I agree with you also. It's just crazy to see all the negativity in the hobby, I wasn't saying you were being negative I was just answering the question.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you also. It's just crazy to see all the negativity in the hobby, I wasn't saying you were being negative I was just answering the question.
You were suggesting I said something I clearly didn't. Anyway has said, each to their own and enjoy spending your money be it on secondhand or new and many of us need the guys who buy new so we can buy the equipment we want but couldn't afford new. All in all happy reefing.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also think you miss the point but in a different way. This hobby is full of companies that are trying to convince you that you need the latest 2020 model if you want to succeed. They constantly come up with new tweaks or changes in the way something is designed just to pull in the equipment junkies who will then go out and disseminate information like "oh yeah this one is so much better than the last one".

It's like the DC skimmer marketing. "Oh yeah this skimmer pulls out so much more gunk than my older AC skimmer". OK well show me some data on that because every year they pull out more gunk than the year before yet my 15 year old ASM G3 skimmer seems to be pulling out the same amount of gunk as my friends 2019 DC skimmer.

Some of the best tanks I have seen are running halides or T5's or even 5 year old LEDs. It seems to me that just about anything can work very well, if you know how to use it right.

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love having disposable funds

good.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think you miss the point but in a different way. This hobby is full of companies that are trying to convince you that you need the latest 2020 model if you want to succeed. They constantly come up with new tweaks or changes in the way something is designed just to pull in the equipment junkies who will then go out and disseminate information like "oh yeah this one is so much better than the last one".

It's like the DC skimmer marketing. "Oh yeah this skimmer pulls out so much more gunk than my older AC skimmer". OK well show me some data on that because every year they pull out more gunk than the year before yet my 15 year old ASM G3 skimmer seems to be pulling out the same amount of gunk as my friends 2019 DC skimmer.

Some of the best tanks I have seen are running halides or T5's or even 5 year old LEDs. It seems to me that just about anything can work very well, if you know how to use it right.

So are you saying that when I company launches a new and improved product it's a scam to try and trick people? I like the G5's and the improvements they made so I'm going to talk positively about them. And yes you could run an incredible reef with barely any equipment at all, but I don't want to. I like spending my money on the hobby, it is part of the fun for me. Why should I run old equipment if I don't want to lol? I'm in my 40's not married, no kids, don't drink, don't drive a fancy car, own my own business (where my tank is located in the waiting room so every aquarium related item is a tax write-off). Everyone has a different situation and a different interest in the hobby which is awesome. My new Waterbox Frag 105.4 is shipping in the next few weeks and I just got my Apex and Trident delivered this week along with an Arid Chaeto reactor and other "equipment junkie" stuff for the new build... Necessary to have a successful reef? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Fun? HELL YEAH!

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of ignorance in this thread...Sad to see this forum heading towards the “Bass pro shop” boys in the fish world.

Joesig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I was on the same wagon, but then I really started to think about things. Yes it is expensive and it is probably more than they could cost. But its all relative this can't be compared to a phone there just to play devils advocate. There is much to consider not just the price of the light and how much will be made. What are the cost's of the business, there's R&D, marketing, production, rent, salaries, healthcare cost's, workers comp, insurance, tariff's and probably more that i am missing. There are millions of people that have a iPhone not all those people have a reef tank. Yes black boxes work as well as other lights but there are clearly differences in black boxes and radions the build quality is not the same and it comes down to how much you are willing to spend for innovation and quality. Black boxes have not changed by much since they first came out yet radions have gone through generations each time getting a little better, and you have to replace the black boxes every year or two unless you replace the diodes because they do degrade you cant expect top quality for something that cost 1/4 of all other brands.
Unlike a phone most reefers are happy with the Generation that hey have if you have g4's you will most likely wont upgrade for a few years unless your one of those people that have to have the latest and greatest. So as a company how many can you expect to sell and for how much so you can keep the doors open and create new items and pay the employees, bills, and taxes.
Now lets compare that to the current state of things. A reef tank is something that you can live with out so you cant compare it to rent or food. But how much do you spend in entertainment, how much do you subscribe to netflix, hulu, amazon prime, cable, disney + if you have all of that you are close to if not over 200 a month every month. how much do you sped going out to eat, or movies, if you think about it not that much after you add up all you spend on things you don't have to spend on.
I was helping a friend with developing a product that cost a couple of dollars to make, after all said and done it would cost more to make that what he could sell it for there are alot of hidden costs that we dont think about. I have had black boxes, t5's, and hydras. lets compare the black boxes worked great for a while until one almost caught on fire so there's who would i hold responsible? so i switched to t5's. Those were great a couple of hundred bucks for a fixture on amazon, ran for a few years so it cost me a around 300+ in bulbs not to mention the extra power consumption. So i probable spent close to the same mount of money by the time i need to replace the fixtures. Its just more money upfront. Now the growth was better with t5's but the colors are more amazing in led so a little bit of a trade there.

Now the price of corals is out of control that i can agree to that is why i sell my frags for almost nothing or give them away.
But like others have said its all to what you are willing to pay.

Back