Radion G5 Rant. $900?

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding iPhone, I can assure you that Apple does what they can to support older phones. However, technology changes—processors become faster, battery technologies improve, and heat dissipation becomes even more critical. I can't name another mobile phone company that supports older devices the way that Apple does. Heck, even some Android phones that are only 1-2 years old don't get the newest updates.

Imagine having a 2020 sport car, and you put a newer, bigger, faster engine in it every year. Eventually, the body won't be able to handle it. That's how technology is. You're not magically storing everything (photos, messages, email, etc.) in thin air. There are physical components in mobile phones that have to store these things. Naturally, older devices begin to slow down as technology demands more processing power and efficiency.

It's a shame that such negativity has surrounded the hobby within recent years. Not only are costs being driven up, but so are our expectations. We expect vendors to show corals in every light possible so that any of us can know what to expect when we purchase corals. Recently, World Wide Corals has been providing blue-light and white-light photos of frags. We expect manufacturers to support equipment for years after it sits in corrosive environments. I've seen many stories of EcoTech Marine's & Neptune Systems' customer service departments replacing out-of-warranty equipment. I don't mind paying premium prices if companies stand behind their products and work with customers when things are going poorly for them.

Regarding the recent Radion offerings, I am glad to see them continue to supply new models. People will buy them, which will flood the second-hand market with great lights being sold to offset the costs of purchasing new models. This gives newer hobbyists, as well as hobbyists on tighter budgets, the opportunity to have nice pieces of equipment at lower prices. If we don't support manufacturers' efforts to improve products, then we lose.

Therich84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its dumb to complain about the price of something that is not essential and has competing options. No one is forcing you to buy them. Choose from the myriad of other options. It's like complaining about the price of a new bmw when you can buy a ford that accomplishes the same thing for much less.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it... I don't see any one complaining about ultra mega gold rare sparkle torch for 700 a head, hey atlest the radion had a 1 year warranty. try that with your torch
You can't be looking far not that it matters. Something is only worth what another is willing to pay for it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody is whining about prices and costs, then make better choices. My lights are just about a decade old, still work and always have, and still will, perform better than these new ones coming out. I just traded for a $1500 coral and did not spend a cent on it... grow stuff, sell it, then buy nicer stuff, sell it, buy nicer stuff, sell it - it takes work and time, but does not cost any money.

If you choose to buy tech that also happens to emit light, then just expect to pay more and that it will not last. Period. This is the same with nearly everything in life. If you buy reef lights whose only function is to light, then you can expect them to last. Nobody buys a super-tech car like Mercedes/BMW and expects to get 400,000 miles like they do out of a Ford/GM/Ram truck... if they do, they are just as stupid.

Most of this thread just seems like sour grapes and bad choices to me.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just expect 3 years, as long as the most of my stuff works for 3 years i'm happy as a clam. With lights, I think it's fair to say people expect more from LED as that's one of the drivers for going that route over other options.

As I said earlier, people can have success with stuff that was available in the late 70's and we have choices. As long as upgrade culture doesn't drive forced upgrades like it commonly does in the IT infrastructure world then i'm good. I just have to poke fun at the folks that have upgraded their lights 3 times for their one coral thinking that's the winning ticket to becoming the next Jason Fox. No doubt we will see the "what's wrong with my tank" diagnosed by some folks as "not having G5 lights". :)

Biocuber29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s the same price as the old G4 but I’m still amazed people can and will spend $900 (with tax) on a 12 inch 100 watt LED. It truly is a light for the elite. Their advertising pull on the market is incredible. They learned the market will support $900 so they kept it that way. Everyone already has them listed online, YouTube interviews, you name it. Its an LED board, heat sink, fan and wifi chip with an app. And it’s water resistant. OMG they designed their own fan!? The advertise better blending. It’s easy to blend any LED light by using some sort of diffusing material.

For $900!? Oh and you’ll need 2-4 of them over your tank.

For me it’s a hobby and I appreciate cost effective lighting solutions. I’ve seen plenty of Radion powered tanks full of GHA (Gallery Aquatica customer tanks) and I’ve seen some black box tanks that would amaze you. Celebrating a free market! Next up G6 for $1k! Or, for me, something cheaper :(
I’m with you it’s nonsense, I have had aquariums since I was 18 off and on first reef tank this year I’m flabbergasted by the prices. You bett not have an issue , start all over. Retirement in your tank lol

SyracuseMatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, to counterpoint... how often do LED users upgrade their fixtures? I would argue that the break even point is moving closer to a 30 year mortgage.

I haven‘t changed out an LED fixture yet or lost a diode. I originally bought two G2 pros for a 90 gallon. Bought a third used when I got a 180. All still going at we’ll under 50% although supplemented by 4 t5s. I bought two used G3 pros for A sixty gallon cube 2x2x2 to get even lighting. Those are running at something like 25% each. A got a par meter a couple years back. It was a revelation just how ‘spotlighty’ these lights are. In my view, you either need to supplement with t5, hang the fixtures super high or run many fixtures to even out the light. I‘m not really a Ecotech fanboy. But, I was/am excited to see Ecotech willing/able to abandon puck style lights in favor of panel style lights. It should go a long way towards solving the biggest problem with the old versions. I have nothing against other lighting options and may well try them all at some point, just happy to see what appears to be progress and have a bunch of options.

It is also the coral name game, chop shop internet market, and using others money to pay for my hobby.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to spend the money then don't. You are paying Ecotech because they have spent the money on research and development to make this product. Sure you can go cheaper but it might not have the same quality of features. Like some one already said you can buy a ford or a BMW, they are both cars but they are definitely not the same thing.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is about time that people treat tech like tech. If you want to buy a piece of tech to light your tank, then expect the same life expectancy as your PC that you use to make money (work computer). Sure, some people have 8-10 year old PCs, but the vast majority are changing them out ever few years. Why should a Radion be any different? Most people get less than 5 years out of a LED... the ones who get longer are the exceptions, but they do exist.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s nice to see a range of comments on this topic. Everyone has their view on it, and we are fortunate, as there are plenty of options to decide from. I do get a tad annoyed when the big retailers push these lights so hard, a lot of the cost associated with the lights are advertising budget and also high markups for the retailers who sell the product. Which light would you want to sell to your customer? The one with the largest profit margin :)

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have excellent SPS growth with a $100 Odyssea T5 light over my tanks. 4 36" bulbs over my 40 gallon breeder and 65 gallon tank.

You don't need to spend $900 on a light that covers no more than 3'.

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Bit the bullet about a year ago and bought an Orphek v4 and 2 90cm Orphek bars one is the deep sky blue the other Uv , these truly are Beautiful lights that I will never upgrade from.
IMG_0107.JPG

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is an aqua one 400 liter tank with modified sump to take a large skimmer and an add on chaeto refugium its around 120g all up

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But your build thread will be much cooler with $4500 in lighting and burnt corals!

Its kind of like a lot of the teenagers in NC; $2500 truck with an $8k lift kit and mud tires so they can hang out in Sheets parking lot.
What a great analogy!

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is about time that people treat tech like tech. If you want to buy a piece of tech to light your tank, then expect the same life expectancy as your PC that you use to make money (work computer). Sure, some people have 8-10 year old PCs, but the vast majority are changing them out ever few years. Why should a Radion be any different? Most people get less than 5 years out of a LED... the ones who get longer are the exceptions, but they do exist.
All lighting (including halides) is tech and not just LEDs. Unlike PCs, there is no need to change lighting unless the lighting unit breaks or burns out because corals don't demand for more lighting PAR and spectrum if the lights you have is already providing a sufficient amount.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s nice to see a range of comments on this topic. Everyone has their view on it, and we are fortunate, as there are plenty of options to decide from. I do get a tad annoyed when the big retailers push these lights so hard, a lot of the cost associated with the lights are advertising budget and also high markups for the retailers who sell the product. Which light would you want to sell to your customer? The one with the largest profit margin :)
I think the retailers will take issue with you regarding the markup profit on most lights like Radions.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back