Radion G5 XR-15 Pro Intensity

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have my XR15 Pro G5 mounted 8” above the tank with the RMS mount. It is running at 55% on AB+.

I have started to add acropora on top of the beginner sps I have now. What intensity should I run the Radion at to get enough light to the Acros? Let me know your thoughts

Check out my build thread for reference photos…

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most corals can adapt a bit, But I would say at least 250-300 par to start at the base. Your light may be ok now for small frags. But as they grow, you may need to add supplemental lighting like some AI blades or similar.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most corals can adapt a bit, But I would say at least 250-300 par to start at the base. Your light may be ok now for small frags. But as they grow, you may need to add supplemental lighting like some AI blades or similar.
Gotcha, I think I can get near there with a high enough intensity for now. You’re right, will definitely have to supplement with more light, maybe a second XR15 or upgrade to XR30.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same light. If it’s a mixed reef with LPS and easier SPS, you can do anything in the 60-70% range but if it’s mostly SPS and more light demanding acros, I’d run it at 100%.

My light is running AB+ at 100% plus reefbrite XHOs mounted on either side of the Radion also running at 100%.

I’m getting around 250-300ish par at the top center of my rock scape.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same light. If it’s a mixed reef with LPS and easier SPS, you can do anything in the 60-70% range but if it’s mostly SPS and more light demanding acros, I’d run it at 100%.

My light is running AB+ at 100% plus reefbrite XHOs mounted on either side of the Radion also running at 100%.

Thanks. I’ve got some zoas, mushrooms, leather, favia, couple birdsnest and stylos, and some acros.

I just raised it from 55% to 60% (raising 5% every week - 2 weeks) should I aim closer to ramping it up to 90% - 100% with the corals I have? I don’t want to fry them.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 60% range is fine for what you currently have. I ran mine at 65% without supplemental lighting for the first year or so and just recently started to raise the intensity. I mostly did it because I have a few acro-milliporas that were super slow growers and my SPS have started to shade the lower parts of the tank. That said, even at 100% intensity, I have some LPS being blasted by the light that are thriving but it took a few months of slowly raising the lights to acclimate them and being a little more strategic about placement in the tank.

I have a par map of both lights running at 100% in my build thread if it helps.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same here, I have a mixed reef with lots of SPS and I run my XR15 lights at 100% intensity on AB plus program. They are very weak par lights.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 60% range is fine for what you currently have. I ran mine at 65% without supplemental lighting for the first year or so and just recently started to raise the intensity. I mostly did it because I have a few acro-milliporas that were super slow growers and my SPS have started to shade the lower parts of the tank. That said, even at 100% intensity, I have some LPS being blasted by the light that are thriving but it took a few months of slowly raising the lights to acclimate them and being a little more strategic about placement in the tank.

I have a par map of both lights running at 100% in my build thread if it helps.
Sweet tank! Certainly aspire to have mine look like yours! Yes, the PAR map was very helpful as I don’t have access to a PAR meter. I will certainly have to mimic your intensity, as it seems perfect for the setup I want to run. I’m going to slowly start ramping the light up. I dig the reefbrites too. Thanks!

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I have a mixed reef with lots of SPS and I run my XR15 lights at 100% intensity on AB plus program. They are very weak par lights.
Was hoping they would pack my punch as they are not cheap. Good thing for Facebook marketplace lol. I definitely need to work on slowly raising my intensity. Thanks!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping they would pack my punch as they are not cheap. Good thing for Facebook marketplace lol. I definitely need to work on slowly raising my intensity. Thanks!
I went from 50 to 70 and was shocked how low the par was. I then increased 1% per day until I hit 100% intensity on AB plus. This gives 350 par at the top of the tank and 125 at the bottom in 22 inch deep tank.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from 50 to 70 and was shocked how low the par was. I then increased 1% per day until I hit 100% intensity on AB plus. This gives 350 par at the top of the tank and 125 at the bottom in 22 inch deep tank.
Those are the numbers I’m looking for… looks like 1% per day it is hahaha thanks

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a thought… what if I add an AI Blade grow (12” or 21”) to supplement the XR15? I think that would bump the par numbers up right to where I need them in conjunction with ramping up the XR15.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my Radions @75% on a 2-foot depth.

Thoughts on adding an AI blade?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on adding an AI blade?
Not sure - I'm still on the fence. I would probably need to revise my lighting setup with a single RMS bar running horizontally across the tank as opposed to the 4 RMS mounts I use currently - then figure out how to mount the AI Blades from below the RMS rail.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a thought… what if I add an AI Blade grow (12” or 21”) to supplement the XR15? I think that would bump the par numbers up right to where I need them in conjunction with ramping up the XR15.

Thoughts?
Yes, both front and rear. You can use the new mounts for this and your x15. I am doing it, but with Current USA lights. I would use the blades if I didn’t already have the ones laying around. Heres the link of what I did.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure - I'm still on the fence. I would probably need to revise my lighting setup with a single RMS bar running horizontally across the tank as opposed to the 4 RMS mounts I use currently - then figure out how to mount the AI Blades from below the RMS rail.
I’m thinking of building a canopy for the tank to match the stand, so I would get rid of my rms and mount the lights within that. Would also make for a cleaner look imo instead of using the rail due to the short length of the tank.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 xr15g5 pros 100% ab+ on my xl300. Works. Prbly use more tbh.
I’ve thought about using two, but at that point I would just upgrade to the XR30 as my tank is only 18 inches wide. I would definitely need to build a canopy if using 2 XR15 as there is not enough room for another RMS

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back