OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never do that to this beast. It's part of the misfits circle of coral. Corey grew it out and I cant stand the thought of cutting it up. :(

Something surely ticked off the leather.... not sure Ive ever seen it closed up like a fist. Looks like the gap is still open on the stalk where it might be hiding. You could try prying open the hole a little more with anything. Butter knives, probes or whatever.

may also just be timing. You walked in at a bad moment. Domt think a leather would/could kill a fish.
Not really thinking the leather actively killed it. More like it ticked it off while inside and possibly got trapped inside when it closed up? I guess I'll try prying it open and see what happens.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s closed up tighter than Fort Knox. Gotta think it would close up slow enough for a fish to move out tho
Gonna give it an hour or so and see if it reopens... if not I'll do a search and rescue... hope the blenny is ok inside.. it's nowhere to be found.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in the toadstool...

Just found it. I'm a bad dad.. and really need to cover the tank with a mesh. You think I would have learned by now....

Stupid procrastinating es.oh.bee i am.. :(

Feel like a piece of doodoo right now. Well deserved. Sigh

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in the toadstool...

Just found it. I'm a bad dad.. and really need to cover the tank with a mesh. You think I would have learned by now....

I had a blenny jump through the smallest opening even with a mesh top. They are sneaky :/

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blenny jump through the smallest opening even with a mesh top. They are sneaky :/
This is the 3rd one I've lost, but first due to a jump. All the money and time spent on gadgets, husbandry, this fish themselves, coral, etc, I shouldve made a mesh top my priority..
:( Sry Rich stinks he was a beaut
I'm sorry about your little guy :(
Thanks.. pretty guilty feeling that my negligence was the cause. Sigh..

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home on a mission to not let the blues get me down and have other losses due to the blenny putting me in a funk..

Tested to see where things were since taking the kalk offline.
dKh 9.2
Ca 450 (came up on it's own somehow)
Mg 1520

Not as much of a drop as I was hoping for, but hopefully in another 3 or 4 days the alk will drop to the target of 8.7ish and I'll try the kalk again, diluted. We shall see.

No3 came in between 5 and 10ppm
Po4 has spiked to .32

Swapped fresh carbon and phosguard in. Pulled and disassembled the skimmer, it's been running in a 4:1 rodi:vinegar mix in a bucket for the last hour, will rinse and run in plain rodi shortly, and then hook it back up.

Cant let things slip away with my husbandry, but the loss of the blenny was tough on me. Still not over it. Pretty upset with myself. A mesh top is a top priority 2nd only to the kalk getting dialed in...

That's all for now. Will catch up on BT's this weekend I think. Need a break. Cheers.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home on a mission to not let the blues get me down and have other losses due to the blenny putting me in a funk..

Tested to see where things were since taking the kalk offline.
dKh 9.2
Ca 450 (came up on it's own somehow)
Mg 1520

Not as much of a drop as I was hoping for, but hopefully in another 3 or 4 days the alk will drop to the target of 8.7ish and I'll try the kalk again, diluted. We shall see.

No3 came in between 5 and 10ppm
Po4 has spiked to .32

Swapped fresh carbon and phosguard in. Pulled and disassembled the skimmer, it's been running in a 4:1 rodi:vinegar mix in a bucket for the last hour, will rinse and run in plain rodi shortly, and then hook it back up.

Cant let things slip away with my husbandry, but the loss of the blenny was tough on me. Still not over it. Pretty upset with myself. A mesh top is a top priority 2nd only to the kalk getting dialed in...

That's all for now. Will catch up on BT's this weekend I think. Need a break. Cheers.

I’m going to tell you what you told me when I first started, s*** is going to happy no matter how much attention you pay. I’ve only ever seen your excellent reef since I joined r2r but I’m sure there were a lot of learning moments to get to that point.

This is just another thing you learned during your reefing experience and it won’t happen again. Hold your head up, you’re doing 50x better than most.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long weekend already. Had a nice road trip with @Crabby48 and @Raege today... headed out to see @Fudsey @Scurvy and raise some h e double hockey sticks.

Never disappointed when I get to spend time with some great friends and shoot the salt around and catching up. Thanks for having us guys, hope we can do another BBQ meet this summer at some point.

Don is sleeping over again and heading home to New Jersey in the a.m. after some much needed recovery and rest. Heres some pics from the day..
20200201_160135.jpg
20200201_161824.jpg
20200201_113133.jpg

Zzzzzz...
Great company.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in the toadstool...

Very sorry Rich.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty upset with myself. A mesh top is a top priority 2nd only to the kalk getting dialed in...

The last fish with a name in my tank was a jewel blenny, Geoffrey, I bought covers for the twins as I had a fish reserved that required it, a wrasse I think.
I got back from the lfs and started drinking and pottering about and decided to do the covers the following day before I picked the fish up.
I came down and found Geoffrey crisp on the floor the next morning.
I have never given a fish a name since, I still feel bad about it years later!
Chin up. ;)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Will give a detailed update when I get time. Nephew is over, and kalisha and us are heading to Vermont for some snowboarding in the a.m and work ha issues emergency mandatory OT. Started at 6a.m. today, 10hr m-f. Busy times ahead. Choo Choo.

Dragon Goby feels the Octospawn requires Target Sand Feeding....
20200208_181326.jpg

And here is the flirt... too beautiful to be anything but a lady.. her colors are stunning to me.
20200208_181224.jpg

Hope all is well with everyone. Cheers.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back