Rainbow Chalices - Let's talk about them!

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering since you have more than a few :) of the Rainbow chalices, and have seen some of the ones you don't have. You have only one that you can keep in your tank, which one would it be :)

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, all rainbow chalices are pretty much the same. They are all just variations on the same coral. You get different combinations/proportions of the same red, blue, green, and orange. The frags you see for sale only look different because they are cut from different parts of a colony. Some parts of my rainbow colonies are incredibly intricate with lots of different colors going on in a small space, while other areas are more bland. Rainbow Crush, Jelly Bean, and Masterpiece are all the same colors just different proportions and patterns based on where they were cut from. There are some rare rainbow colonies out there that incorporate more than just the red, orange, blue, greens and might actually throw in a pink or purple color, but I don't have any of those yet. (like the one from Jordy)
If you have one rainbow, you have them all. (for the most part) And, as pointed out by braves fan, just because its a "rainbow crush" or whatever, doesn't mean you're going to get all the colors you're looking for. Depending on where it was cut from, it might lack certain rainbow patterns/colors.

Last edited:

Reefhabit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, all rainbow chalices are pretty much the same. They are all just variations on the same coral. You get different combinations/proportions of the same red, blue, green, and orange. The frags you see for sale only look different because they are cut from different parts of a colony. Some parts of my rainbow colonies are incredibly intricate with lots of different colors going on in a small space, while other areas are more bland. Rainbow Crush, Jelly Bean, and Masterpiece are all the same colors just different proportions and patterns based on where they were cut from. There are some rare rainbow colonies out there that incorporate more than just the red, orange, blue, greens and might actually throw in a pink or purple color, but I don't have any of those yet. (like the one from Jordy)
If you have one rainbow, you have them all. (for the most part) And, as pointed out by braves fan, just because its a "rainbow crush" or whatever, doesn't mean you're going to get all the colors you're looking for. Depending on where it was cut from, it might lack certain rainbow patterns/colors.

I think my rainbow chalice is completely different from other rainbow chalices. This colony has a lot of green as well as some of the blue, teal, and purple streaks.
Just got it so I can't wait till it colors up better. For the one week I have had it the rim has already started to thicken and change colors as well as the eyes.
Rainbowlicious 3.jpg

Rainbowlicious 3.jpg

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a chalice from member jourdy taken from his forum here on r2r. This chalice looks insane!! If you haven't already, take a look at his setup. Simply amazing. I think he won TOTM just a few months ago

What is this one? I would pay for a frag of this.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a cornbred that grew out from a one eye frag a buddy gave me a few years ago. Hard to get the right color and contrast with cell phone pic. I can't remember the name, any help

thanks

03/16/13
DSCN2618 by daddeee, on Flickr

today
FullSizeRender (1) by daddeee, on Flickr

and a frag in another tank
FullSizeRender by daddeee, on Flickr

NicksMixedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a no name rainbow that I nursed back to health. Hard to see the colors but it has a nice pink rim with pastel colors in between. Slowwwww grower, have had it for 8 months now.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435006791.492736.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back