Rainbow Chalices - Let's talk about them!

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is everybody keeping their dynamite? I moved mine into the display and have it in the shade in fear of baking it. Can these type of chalices take some good light?

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my rainbow crush at bottom with MH's. Looks happy and afraid to try to torch it yet.

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any common opinions as far as "faster growing" rainbow chalices are concerned? the growth rate on most seems to be unbareably slow.

I think if you read threw this thread a lot of them seem to be growing pretty good

Sent from my iPhone 4S
using Tapatalk

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice piece!! Did they mention if it is the same as one of the other ones already on the market, or at least similar?

I should have some nice comparison pics of several pieces by this weekend to post :bigsmile:

WWC has a ton of chalices in their 600g tank right now, like more than you have ever seen. They have just about every cornbred one along with a bunch of their own. After seeing all of them in person, this one is different. I don't have a macro lens and I don't photoshop, so these pics are the best I can do. The base is much darker, almost blue crush like but it is different from the blue crush. I have seen them side by side. I also have seen a mini colony of blue crush (3x3) and know it is different.

Spaceman Spliff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my flaming bugatti, atom bomb and dynamite (in that order). You can see all are nice but the bugatti doesn't have the intensity of the other 2. It just doesn't have that shine or heat in it.

rainbowchalice-1.jpg

Last edited:

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is everybody keeping their dynamite? I moved mine into the display and have it in the shade in fear of baking it. Can these type of chalices take some good light?

Mine is out in the open on the sandbed getting a good amount of light. About 200 on the PAR meter and doing well.

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pic! Does the atom bomb have a different sheen to the body, compared to the dynamite, or is it just the photo?

Here's my flaming bugatti, atom bomb and dynamite (in that order). You can see all are nice but the bugatti doesn't have the intensity of the other 2. It just doesn't have that shine or heat in it.

rainbowchalice-1.jpg

racerw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice comparison photo. The atom bomb is awesome.

Spaceman Spliff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dynamite looks brightest cause the red is pure. I'd say the red in the atom bomb is as bright as the dynamite but my piece has the purple haze all over it (see Mike colony pic) so it looks different.

Spaceman Spliff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it for 2, maybe 3 months so I think its colored up all that it will. I fragged off an eye which is why there isn't a rim. When I got it, the eyes were tight (typical from shipping). I've gotten them all open and feeding and the flesh is plump so I know its happy. Side by side, it just it just can't hold a candle to the other two.

I guess I can make it bright, hows this lol

rainbowchalice1-1.jpg

Last edited:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, looks at my blues and yours its clearly a tank difference. You can tell your picture is saturated look how everything is bright compared to mine which there is still dull colors.

Spaceman Spliff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a tank difference but what I do know is the colors in all my other corals are spot on. I have many colorful chalices and acans and don't see any weird coloration in anything else. Could be lighting also. My pic was taken with all 6 T5's on and shows what they look like under typical full range lighting (4 Blue+, 1 Purple, 1 Coral+, blue LED suppliments). I was trying to show the true differences and how they look in person, not best case senario for a flashy pic. White balance was set in the camera and there was 0 editing except for cropping.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was in a Zeo system with 6 bulb T5 and white balance how I white balance all my pictures off a new disk.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it does look like you have a little coloring to do since your frags don't look like the mother yet.

scdynamite.jpg

SCFlashBomb-1.jpg

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m and m- If you are going to come into this thread and spout off all of your superior knowledge because you are "in the know", why don't you back up some your claims with proof and enlighten us regular, mortal reefers. And now it seems you're goal is to cause even more drama? Thanks for adding your nice pictures to the thread......because that's about all you've done in this thread and since becoming a sponsor.

Spaceman Spliff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually my Dynamite looks alot like Mike's picture. See how his and mine has that nice shine to it. The bugatti doesn't have that. And the 2nd pic you posted is the Flash Bomb, not Atom Bomb which is the one I have. My atom bomb looks alot like Mike's picture also. As I mentioned earlier, my piece has that purple hue over it which you can see in his colony.

atombbb.jpg

Here's the Flaming Bugatti colony pic from Rich. Funny how I can replicate the color and shine of Mike's pics but not the Flaming Bugatti. And I put all 3 frags in the same picture so no one can say its different lighting or picture exposure.

flamingbugatti.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes Dnovs Flaming Buggatti it definitely is bright seems like yours might just need to color up a but.

Unfortunately, brightness, IMO, is something that will be impossible to compare unless side by side, in the same picture. Camera settings and lighting will change brightness, even color, slightly. I know my camera, depending even on the angle of the shot, and/or how much tank light is being blocked by the camera/my hand, will totally change the brightness and colors of my photo subject.

Back