Raise ph with an air stone??

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure offhand how much kalk that translates into.. I mean you could drip that little kalk in, or maybe unsaturated kalk, but I dunno how much it would help ph at that low level..

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure offhand how much kalk that translates into.. I mean you could drip that little kalk in, or maybe unsaturated kalk, but I dunno how much it would help ph at that low level..
It's only a 13.5 gallon tank doesn't take much

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my Fluval Evo 13.5 280 days ago and for about 90 days I ran an airstone in effort to increase pH without any effect. There was some minimal effect to opening a window but not enough benefit to justify cooling the entire basement so much and making everyone cold here in ohio in the winter or contributing to the humidity and heat in the summer. Ive decided I won't really work hard at increasing pH (currently 7.75 every morning I check it) until I have a larger tank with a sump and room for more equipment.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my Fluval Evo 13.5 280 days ago and for about 90 days I ran an airstone in effort to increase pH without any effect. There was some minimal effect to opening a window but not enough benefit to justify cooling the entire basement so much and making everyone cold here in ohio in the winter or contributing to the humidity and heat in the summer. Ive decided I won't really work hard at increasing pH (currently 7.75 every morning I check it) until I have a larger tank with a sump and room for more equipment.
How are you checking your levels? I stopped using my irksome MH pH pen and switched to a Hanna checker (and later, a Seneye system). It confirmed the Red Sea test kit of "above 8", and my readings have held steady between 8.1 (night) and 8.25 since then.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you checking your levels? I stopped using my irksome MH pH pen and switched to a Hanna checker (and later, a Seneye system). It confirmed the Red Sea test kit of "above 8", and my readings have held steady between 8.1 (night) and 8.25 since then.
Im using a Hanna

I've considered getting a Hanna pH Checker but my pH is stable so not as willing to go spend money to confirm numbers.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any macro in your tank? I think having clumps of it in mine raised the pH a couple of points. My Evo is in the basement, too, next to the outflow vent of the furnace (natural gas), which runs all the time at this time of the year.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oo, next to the outflow vent of the furnace (natural gas), which runs all the time at this time of the year.
no, my rocks look green when the lights off at night...and they started out white. Im hoping that over the coming months they stop looking so green. And truth be told as much as I like my tank I would immediately do things differently if I could and get a larger tank seeing how much I spent alone to make a nano work makes me wonder if something no smaller than 80 gallons would have made it even less trouble.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, my rocks look green when the lights off at night...and they started out white. Im hoping that over the coming months they stop looking so green. And truth be told as much as I like my tank I would immediately do things differently if I could and get a larger tank seeing how much I spent alone to make a nano work makes me wonder if something no smaller than 80 gallons would have made it even less trouble.
Get a trochus snail or two and a Halloween crab. They're cleaning up my rock nicely. And I think red macroalgae are excellent additions to any tank (and divert the eye away from nuisance alga and/or ugly stages).

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where to place the airstone for best increase in PH?
If you’ve got a sump, I suggest you put it there. That’s where a lot of CO2 settles, especially if there’s no forced circulation down there. It may help blow some of the CO2 off the surface of the water.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where to place the airstone for best increase in PH?
If you have surface movement already then the air stone may not do much to raise ph especially if you have a skimmer as well, all the air stone is doing is breaking up the surface of the water to help with gas exchange, if this is already happ Ning the air stone would be unlikely to help with that.

but to answer your question more directly, place it where is produces the most surface movement and that doesn’t let micro bubbles into the display.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back