Dendronephthya & Scleronephthya aquaculture

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get fed once a day but I have an engineer goby so there are bits in the water column.
I feed frozen once a day also which has lots of fine bits in.
I have 4 different gorgs, all nps.
Sounds nice. I really love sea fans. Especially if they’re multicolored.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the new name, Dr.
I'm salvaging parts, for my Grand Master Piece as we speak. Heeee

hurricane-201077.jpg

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been gathering research on dendronephthya to support my own attempt at trying to keep these animals. I found an interesting study here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1978301916301589

It surveyed the bacterial colonies present on the coral once a week for four weeks in captivity and compared that to freshly collected specimens. The result I found compelling was that the numbers of actinobacteria plummeted in captivity to near 0 (not detected) from significant numbers. This type of bacteria is known to often create compounds which protect against pathogens.

Could our corals be losing their natural defense against disease and die as a result of that? This would certainly explain why even well fed specimens perish. The problem then is, what do we do about that? I'm still formulating a plan of attack.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been gathering research on dendronephthya to support my own attempt at trying to keep these animals. I found an interesting study here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1978301916301589

It surveyed the bacterial colonies present on the coral once a week for four weeks in captivity and compared that to freshly collected specimens. The result I found compelling was that the numbers of actinobacteria plummeted in captivity to near 0 (not detected) from significant numbers. This type of bacteria is known to often create compounds which protect against pathogens.

Could our corals be losing their natural defense against disease and die as a result of that? This would certainly explain why even well fed specimens perish. The problem then is, what do we do about that? I'm still formulating a plan of attack.
Funny you mention that paper, I was reading it a few hours back.
Almost 2 years since I began my research again on dendronephthya and scleronephthya colonies. I have every rock these corals came on that perished. It reminds me , to keep trying. Anyway, I've read most papers and articles that I think were useful to aquaculture of these specimens. And ALL them was missing one piece of the puzzle, I might of found, by trial and error. I'm still testing but very promising. In one forum, that had a dendronephthya study group, one member could keep them thriving for 3 years, till her house burned down. She did nothing special, even used tap water, she could not determine her success, but I could see it. Read the last 25% of this thread, to see what I've found so far.
Keep in touch

20190810_214837.jpg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned

My opinion is, they are hardy. They live by polluted harbors, in heavy metal waters. And thrive. We just can't duplicate the ocean exact. So we need to think outside the box.

20190810_215022.jpg 20190810_214933.jpg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are good mat of them. I have a darker area or area under a ledge that I'm considering getting some. Less light, ledge, and easy to spot feed. Strongly considering them. That patch there is why. Nice photo.
I lost some 8mo. ago came from Australia, tree black cup coral. Tentacles were neon green 1/3 of the way. Really nice. One of the black tree cup corals I have, good size .

This one in photo was really nice. I don't think I'll see this type for awhile

20190627_120446.jpg

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost some 8mo. ago came from Australia, tree black cup coral. Tentacles were neon green 1/3 of the way. Really nice. One of the black tree cup corals I have, good size .

This one in photo was really nice. I don't think I'll this type for awhile

20190627_120446.jpg
Those have some nice branching. Makes feeding a bit easier.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen for sale or had one till recently.
No sushi today? I forgot to have some yesterday
I’m too broke to eat sushi. I have my boys with me today and they eat like pig$.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back