Random fish deaths 2 in one day

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, today i cam home to find that 2 of my fish have died
a Tomini Tang and a Six line Wrasse, but i have zero idea of how it happened they eat everyday and they was acting perfectly fine yesterday
i keep on top of my water parameters and to give a short overview they are
pH - 7.9
NH4 - 0
NO2 - <0,01
NO3 - 1
02 - 8-10
KH - 14
That is from what i have tested and they all seem perfectly fine for my fish
they showed no signs of illness
i even added the photo incase there is signs that i can't see im only 5months into the hobby and the tang and wrasse where in the tank since the first cycle completed
4 months later they are randomly dead
The only change that has happened in my tank was that yesterday my condylactis gigantea move to the other side of the tank but, the fish bodies where no where near the anemone

This is very disheartening as i have kept my water quality as good as possible and i loved those two fish very much and im now scared of what will happen next as i have no reason to see why these two died, if anyone can add some knowledge or ideas that would be great,
Thank you

20220919_130541.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, today i cam home to find that 2 of my fish have died
a Tomini Tang and a Six line Wrasse, but i have zero idea of how it happened they eat everyday and they was acting perfectly fine yesterday
i keep on top of my water parameters and to give a short overview they are
pH - 7.9
NH4 - 0
NO2 - <0,01
NO3 - 1
02 - 8-10
KH - 14
That is from what i have tested and they all seem perfectly fine for my fish
they showed no signs of illness
i even added the photo incase there is signs that i can't see im only 5months into the hobby and the tang and wrasse where in the tank since the first cycle completed
4 months later they are randomly dead
The only change that has happened in my tank was that yesterday my condylactis gigantea move to the other side of the tank but, the fish bodies where no where near the anemone

This is very disheartening as i have kept my water quality as good as possible and i loved those two fish very much and im now scared of what will happen next as i have no reason to see why these two died, if anyone can add some knowledge or ideas that would be great,
Thank you

20220919_130541.jpg

Sorry to see that. The picture doesn't show anything of note.

What fish have you lost and what fish still remain?
Can you post a short video of the remaining fish so I can judge their respiration rates?
Your pH is a bit low. That in itself isn't a problem, but your tank could have an oxygen/carbon dioxide issue. You should measure the pH first thing in the morning, before the lights come on, then measure it at the end of the day. A large rise may indicate high carbon dioxide at night. That can stress/kill fish overnight with no real symptoms. If it is just a moderate issue, not all of the fish will die from that.

The other possibility is gill flukes - those can kill fish gradually over time.

Jay

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there these are the only 2 fish that died
but i have left
x2 Mardarin goby
x2 scooter blenny
x1 starry dragonet
x2 clownfish
x1 Coral beauty
x1 Midas Blenny
x6 Chromi's
x2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
x1 fire shrimp
and some snails

Here is the video

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see they are all fine, from what i can see

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see they are all fine, from what i can see
They are all breathing a bit too fast. That can be caused by a variety of issues - warm water, low oxygen, high CO 2 and gill disease.
Try the pH test that I mentioned above and add a good strong air stone to the tank.
The Midas is a bit thin, that is an issue with that species: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/skinny-blenny-issue.922129/

The blenny issue isn’t related to the fish loss though.

Jay

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all breathing a bit too fast. That can be caused by a variety of issues - warm water, low oxygen, high CO 2 and gill disease.
Try the pH test that I mentioned above and add a good strong air stone to the tank.
The Midas is a bit thin, that is an issue with that species: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/skinny-blenny-issue.922129/

The blenny issue isn’t related to the fish loss though.

Jay
OK i will try those tests and buy an airstone today
would i be good to add meds now just incase of the gill disease
also the blenny is new (got it 2weeks ago) and i believe very young, but seems to be eating fine, but ill check that thread out
thank for all the help
If the CO2 is high what would the solution be
also i should mention my set up is without a sump, i use a canister filter

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably to many fish in a 50g which is actually 40g with rocks. 17 fish plus inverts. Fish start out small and then as they grow the tank becomes to small. Overnight 02 levels drop also which might be why fish are observed gasping.

What is your filtration?

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably to many fish in a 50g which is actually 40g with rocks. 17 fish plus inverts. Fish start out small and then as they grow the tank becomes to small. Overnight 02 levels drop also which might be why fish are observed gasping.

What is your filtration?
Its a Fluval 207 with
  • Bio-Foam Max
  • Bio-Foam
  • Carbon 70 g
  • Quick-Clear
  • Bio-Foam+
  • Bio-Max
and im also using a UV filter connected to the fluval 207

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a Fluval 207 with
  • Bio-Foam Max
  • Bio-Foam
  • Carbon 70 g
  • Quick-Clear
  • Bio-Foam+
  • Bio-Max
and im also using a UV filter connected to the fluval 207
I will stick with my opinion that the tank is over crowded. Have you checked ammonia levels?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye the ammonia is zero
I still think 02 depravation especially overnight. You may want to add an airstone or increase surface ripple. You lack a skimmer which also provides 02 at it cleans the waste from the water.

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think 02 depravation especially overnight. You may want to add an airstone or increase surface ripple. You lack a skimmer which also provides 02 at it cleans the waste from the water.
Yes i think so too, i have an airstone in now so i hope that will improve it for now, and i do plant to upgrade tanks soon so i can get a sump

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean the o2 during the day i measured it today was perfect so it really must be overnight

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean the o2 during the day i measured it today was perfect so it really must be overnight
isnt that when your fish passed? PH drops overnight also unless you have a fuge with light. I dont think its flukes because you would see flashing.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back