Random Flow Generator- 1in RFG100 - Q&A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These threads is here to give you an opportunity to ask questions and get answers regarding the 1in RFG Nozzle (RFG100)

Here are a few videos that show the 1in RFG in action.

RFG100 @ 920GPH
This is right in the middle of the suggested optimal GPH rate for this nozzle

RFG100 @ 320GPH

This is at the minimum suggested GPH for this nozzle

If you have questions about the 1in RFG, please post them here.

Last edited:

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're running two in our 400 and are happy.( ours is not the 1in model) [emoji41]
IMG_9209.jpg

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a brand new 8ft 200g+ Center overflow an return tank, with three 3/4” return lines y’ed would be interested in these if the flow pattern will carry the 4ft planning to run two anti-synced maxspect gyres on either side probably the 280 model.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a brand new 8ft 200g+ Center overflow an return tank, with three 3/4” return lines y’ed would be interested in these if the flow pattern will carry the 4ft planning to run two anti-synced maxspect gyres on either side probably the 280 model.
The 3/4in could handle that task - given enough GPH. We have a thread dedicated tot he 3/4in RFG at the link below. I includes a similar flow demo as shown above.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/random-flow-generator-3-4in-rfg075-q-a.355969/

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U

User1

View Badges
Still hoping for a threaded 1" for my pair of Sea Swirls! Hmm...now that I write this let me shoot Ed a message. I could probably change out the elbow he uses with a slip on...then I could use your product ;) I just don't like how much everything would extend. If there was a draw back that would be it.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still hoping for a threaded 1" for my pair of Sea Swirls! Hmm...now that I write this let me shoot Ed a message. I could probably change out the elbow he uses with a slip on...then I could use your product ;) I just don't like how much everything would extend. If there was a draw back that would be it.
3D printing Threads can be problematic - especial with the materials we use. However, we are working on a solution, so stay tuned. In the meantime the 1in Slip-fit would work but the 3/4in RFG can handle and convert a lot of flow as well. Might be worth a look

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you solve the thread challenge, I'll take 4.
We are are almost there. We have sourced out a 1in NTP part that threads directly into the stock fittings that come with the 1in Sea Swirl. We are now working on the 1in RFG nozzle the will snap onto the ball end of the NTP. It should be a super clean, and relatively compact look

So stay tuned ;-)

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for you ... what's the recommended depth for the submersible 1 inch RFG nozzle to achieve the best flow rate? Thank you
It will depend on the amount of flow you're pushing though it, but a good starting point is about an inch. At 500 GPH, and .75 to 1in inch should be enough. If you have an estimated GPH per nozzle, I can simulate that in our Test tank and give you a number.

If you have wave makers in the tank, you'll need to account for the rise and drop of the water line as the wave travels the tank.

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recieved the 1” today. Can’t say it’s going to work out for me. I have a 44”x22”x16” tank running a cor15 return. I ran all 1 1/4” plumbing besides a 2” flow monitor. I was getting right around 750gph at 47%. When I added random flow generator it drastically reduced output. I had to go to 80% on the pump to match the same flow. But at this point it would randomly send a small wave of water over the edge of my tank.
Not saying it is a bad product by any means and think it’s a pretty cool product for the price. I just don’t think it will work for my application. I was going for high flow, low velocity water as I’m running triton and they call for 10x turnover. I’m currently using a mp40 hitting the outflow to randomize the flow.
BB3F6923-45F8-4B57-8B6E-8A3B645BA825.jpeg

Any suggestions how I can make it work?

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change that 90 to a 45 degree angle. That way the flow is angle more towards the bottom

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question here ... is having 2 x 1 inch nozzle a little too much? Or is the 1 nozzle is just sufficient to increase flow with the additions of 2 x controllable Tunze 6095?

Thank you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back