Random Flow Generators do they work are they worth the coin?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just suggested a pico reefer contact you. Since you're here...any plans on making anything for pico tanks? There seems to be a gap in traditional equipment for flow.
We already make a 1/4in RFG - perfect for 5 gallons and below. I run a small 5-gallon fluvla Spec V here at the office with just single RFG and our Fluval Spec V adpater. We also recently discovered this Nozzle/Adapter combo will also fit the Imagitarium 3.7 Gallon Pico. I'm in the process of planning a small rock flow display in it :)

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this thread is pretty good free advertisement @Vivid Creative Aquatics :)
You're not wrong about the advertising - it;s always good to get the word out. :)

I need to pick up two of these and see how they work out for my tank.

You'll find them at pretty much all the major Online retailers such as BRS, Saltwateraquariumn.com and a bunch of others. You may even find them at your local Fish Store, so be sure to check our Where to buy map, or just stop in ask for them - they likly have access to them through which ever distributor they buy from. And, of course, you can find them directly on out website as well.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We already make a 1/4in RFG - perfect for 5 gallons and below. I run a small 5-glalon fluvla Spec V here at the office with just single RFG and our Fluval Spec V adpater. We also recently discovered this Nozzle//Adpater combo will also fit the Imagitarium 3.7 Gallon Pico. I'm in the process of planning up a small rock flow display in it :)
Excellent. I'd love to see more!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We already make a 1/4in RFG - perfect for 5 gallons and below. I run a small 5-gallon fluvla Spec V here at the office with just single RFG and our Fluval Spec V adpater. We also recently discovered this Nozzle/Adapter combo will also fit the Imagitarium 3.7 Gallon Pico. I'm in the process of planning a small rock flow display in it :)

Antonio - you also have the specs/file for the keychain that you can turn into a working RFG for an even smaller tank!!! I think you'll soon be ready to provide flow to 1/2g and 1g pico tanks! :)

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a close loop they're great, but in a tank with good flow from power heads they barely add something.

Return pumps move 3-10x water tank, while powerheads como from 20-100x water tank, so is almost irrelevant in most tanks.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a set and a true union check valve from BRS for my 750xxl. I already have the drop down adapter you sell so mine should be well enough below the waterline. I'm running four mp40wes on my 6' tank and need more flow so I'm hoping this helps.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. I'd love to see more!
I'll soot a coudple if pics/videos wih the 5-gallon office tank tomorrow.
Antonio - you also have the specs/file for the keychain that you can turn into a working RFG for an even smaller tank!!! I think you'll soon be ready to provide flow to 1/2g and 1g pico tanks! :)
Actually, the keychains we give away at reef shows are the same size as the 1/4in RFG with just printed in PLA and with a few mods to make them Keychains instead of RFGs ;-)

Not sure we could go much smaller than that, since the 1/4in was actually pretty tough to engineer and get it to work like the larger versions of the RFG.

1572823010642.png

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a set and a true union check valve from BRS for my 750xxl. I already have the drop down adapter you sell so mine should be well enough below the waterline. I'm running four mp40wes on my 6' tank and need more flow so I'm hoping this helps.
that should do the trick. if you already have the Drop-Down adapter, and it's the 25mm to 3/4in version, you will be able to pop out the pipe adapter and snap the whole kit right on the Drop Adapter.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a close loop they're great, but in a tank with good flow from power heads they barely add something.

Return pumps move 3-10x water tank, while powerheads como from 20-100x water tank, so is almost irrelevant in most tanks.
Your are correct - RFG may not be the solution for every tank. However, when properly used, they can certainly add to the overall quality of the flow within a reef tank. In some cases, they may even allow you to eliminate a powerhead or two as many of our customers have.

It's even possible to run a tank with NO powerheads and just RFG nozzles - check out this video of a 440 gallon coral flat.

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to find this thread! I am using 2 of the 1” RFGs on the returns for my main pump, that I’m hoping to have plumbed by this time next week — should be pushing about 2700 gph between them. I’m glad others are pleased with them.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So glad to find this thread! I am using 2 of the 1” RFGs on the returns for my main pump, that I’m hoping to have plumbed by this time next week — should be pushing about 2700 gph between them. I’m glad others are pleased with them.

Yes, I am using 3/4s and am pleased.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad you found it too. You may also want to check out our Sponsors Forum section here on R2R. There is some good info there as well and you can post your own specific questions if you have any.

just let us know how we can help :)

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took mine off. I have a 30”x30” cube and had issues with them either sucking in air or not breaking siphon fast enough for my sump. They work but better on a bigger tank. It would also splash water up on the side every so often. I still have them for when I upgrade tanks.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took mine off. I have a 30”x30” cube and had issues with them either sucking in air or not breaking siphon fast enough for my sump. They work but better on a bigger tank. It would also splash water up on the side every so often. I still have them for when I upgrade tanks.

That's exactly why I ordered a union check valve. Plus I will use the drop down adapter they sell to put the RFG's lower in the water. I'm adding two to a 6' tank with four mp40w's.

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone run these on the returns in a biocube? If so how do you like them?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you're ready to add them back to your new build, there are a few installation tips that can help mitigate those issues. Gere's a short quick-start guide on installing the RFGs

RFG Installation.jpg

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly why I ordered a union check valve. Plus I will use the drop down adapter they sell to put the RFG's lower in the water. I'm adding two to a 6' tank with four mp40w's.

But I don’t trust any type of check valve. I go all natural. Lol.
And thanks VCA. I was able to get them working great but I just can’t use them on this build due to the cube sump and me trying to maximize fuge space which didn’t give me enough space for much back-siphon. But I already have crazy flow in there as it is with two rossmont return pumps and 2 mp40qd. They are an awesome product and I love the idea.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the VCA dual nozzles on my Reefer XL 425 since day 1, so I don’t really have anything to compare them to. But I’m really happy with them and the corals are thriving so I have no complaints. I just cleaned them yesterday after 16 months of continuous use:

2265BF3F-81F0-41D1-851E-9B2B343F9BE3.jpeg

693908CD-BBA8-49CE-81B9-02F9AFFC2882.jpeg

Just wanted to let you know we used your photos.
You'll find it on our IG and FB pages - thank you! :)

1573171375933.png

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one of the VCA ones and it worked great. The only thing is that it would occasionally suck air from the surface through the join between the flow generator and the locline.
I thought the generator may not have been pushed on enough and when I pushed it in a bit firmer it snapped chunk off it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back