Random Flow Generators: How many of you use them?

How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator?

• I currently am using them

Votes: 239 36.7%
  • I have used them in the past

Votes: 47 7.2%
  • I have never used them

Votes: 241 37.0%
  • I am just now learning about them

Votes: 104 16.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 3.1%

• Total voters

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this product. Just be careful when removing can break or crack. Mine is cracked but still working fine. Just have to be careful when moving the tip so that it does not come off.
We stand behind our product 100% , so please reach out to use and we'll get you taken care of ;-)

Neseem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair on an Innovative Marine 30L. I really like them. I had to seal the top inlet with reef glue because they were pulling in air from the top no matter what I set the return pumps speed at. It was super easy to do and they work great!

IMG_3010.jpg

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 on my returns in my 120 (4x2x2) and i am honestly not the biggest fan. They tend to come off A LOT easier than the regular ones and the back where it has a couple of holes tends to suck in air if you put it close the surface. Our bedroom is pretty close to the tank and sometimes i wake up from the sucking noise thinking maybe its my return pump going dry. I try not to put them too low for two reasons: 1. I like the surface agitation for oxygentation and 2. Just in case of pump failure i want to make sure my sump can handle the back siphon

GardenReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and like them but have to say watch out for small fish.
I lost a great Tailspot because he was up munching on the flow generator when feed mode ended. He got a his head in there and caught a gill.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair to replace the IM spin-steam that came with my tank. The spin-steam have a few moving parts and get stuck from time to time. I figure I would try these out but still have them sealed in their package...

put the nozzle on the spinstream for a big brain move.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 on my returns in my 120 (4x2x2) and i am honestly not the biggest fan. They tend to come off A LOT easier than the regular ones and the back where it has a couple of holes tends to suck in air if you put it close the surface. Our bedroom is pretty close to the tank and sometimes i wake up from the sucking noise thinking maybe its my return pump going dry. I try not to put them too low for two reasons: 1. I like the surface agitation for oxygentation and 2. Just in case of pump failure i want to make sure my sump can handle the back siphon
There are a few way to help with soem of these issues. The way to bring your RFGs closer to the surface can sometime be a simple tweak in how you have them positioned

here is a quick diagram that describes this
RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put the nozzle on the spinstream for a big brain move.
We actually have a number of user that have attached their RFGs to their Sea Swirls - the device that osculate the output back and forth. This actually works really well

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently use two of them in my 75g reef and recommend them for many applications. One note of caution: I did lose a slow swimming fish or two that got sucked into the eductor so I now have them wrapped in large pore sponge tubes that are made for pre-filters. This hasn't impacted the functionality and have had no further issues with the fish.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the VCA RPG, and I really like the random flow. It is not just the intermittent more flow and less flow patterns, but actual flow direction also changes (up to a point). This is the best part of the RPG.

I have seen a LFS removed several MP60s and replaced them with the RPGs and larger return pumps, the flow looks amazing.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of IM "random flow generators" for my Nuvo 40g -- love 'em! I actually got one of them in a pack of those IM "aqua gadgets" (for a deal), and it's definitely the best thing in the pack, as I've found IM accessories to be kind of mediocre. The nozzles don't create a random flow, but a nice, rotating, directional flow that spreads currents throughout the tank. The clownfish just hang out in the currents, bobbing around in them all day.

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a pair of the 1/2" nozzles on my close loop nano build. Here's a quick video I took when I was testing them out. They are still going strong now that my tank is set up and fully stocked. I'm using them in conjunction with the OM flow diverter. I don't think I can get random flow any better.

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using two for each of my two return lines on my 5’ 125 gal tank. The reason I got them initially was because I could not find the traditional loc lines for my 3/4” returns. I am quite happy with them. They create a nice swirling motion to the water coming in. My return pump is a Vectra L2 running at 30%.
I certainly wouldn’t rely on these as the primary method of creating flow in the tank. However they create a nice cross current when combined with traditional powerheads.

William Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two on a reefer 250 work great and 2 on a new build. The only risk I see is a nem hitting one, but hasnt happened yet. Usually don't got any floating around. The new build I got the bigger ones and im excited. They do take flow to create the random flow, but its part of the system just size it correctly and you wont need power heads. Ill try n post a cool video with a torch and a rfg.

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of these VCA RFG units on a SCA 135-gallon cube (single pump with return split with a "Y" to either side of the center overflow) My return flow must not be strong enough, because I really don't notice too much randomized flow. They are also very loosely attached on the last Loc Line section - not as tight fighting as the flat nozzle attachments I previously used. The fall off if I bump then too hard when cleaning the tank.

Also, I didn't know about the positioning info tip that VCA posted on p2 about lining one of the fins straight up to limit the air being drawn in. I can't wait to try that tip so that I can have them higher up in the water column running parallel with the surface. Now they point down a bit so they are deep enough not to draw air. Thanks VCA for jumping in with some advice.

Back